DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What Does the Group Think of Vegas Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/526-what-does-group-think-vegas-video.html)

Nathan Gifford December 14th, 2001 11:17 PM

What Does the Group Think of Vegas Video

I see Sonic Solutions is having a deal VV 3.0 for $199. I currently have CineStream (and like it). What does the group think about VV?

Nathan Gifford

gratedcheese December 16th, 2001 12:25 AM

Vegas Video 3

Nathan:

I'm a newbie shopping for my very first brand-spanking-new NLE and was considering Premiere.

CDW.com has the Vegas Video 3 on sale for $169. If you prefer buying it from Sonic, they have it on sale for $199 through December 24. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm seriously considering Vegas -- I've been using Sonic's Vegas Pro for about two years (audio editing) and have no complaints.

Nathan Gifford December 16th, 2001 09:49 PM

Let me give you hints about NLEs.

1. Those with the biggest market share have the most complaints. Premiere falls into this category. Most of what I've read or heard about Premiere 6 is that it is a real improvement of all the 5 versions. It does seem to be a pretty good system but read comment 2 below.

2. Most problems are configuration problems. There are so many ways to configure or misconfigure systems it is small wonder so many users have problems. Many users will complain a buggy software, when the real problems are buggy PCs. This is one the reasons why people use Cassie or Kron systems. These systems do the bulk of what NLEs will do, except there is a standard system that tends to be less buggy.

3. All NLEs work somewhat alike, and all NLEs have terrible manuals. Another reason why people fuss about their NLEs is they do not know how to operate them. Usr manuals are terrible...no...horrible. You might have to spend another $100 or more to have inkling on how to use your NLE.

4. A lot of mags do not know beans about what makes a good NLE or not. I put a lot more stock in what I read in this news group that what I would read in most mags. Simply put users seem to know more that reporters.

I use CineStream 3.01. I am very pleased with it, due in no small part to its users group, EditDV 101 tape, and the CD Advanced Tips for CineStream by Claire Watson and Ron Bridegroom. I think if Claire and Ron made the same CD for Premiere people would like Premiere better too.

I have also heard a lot of good comments about VV in a number of newsgroups including a couple of CineStream users. However, I have not heard anyone abandoning CS for VV, but rather use the two together.

Thanks for the info about CDW, I will keep that in mind.

Nathan Gifford

Chris Hurd December 17th, 2001 06:36 AM

Nathan,

Regarding building an NLE. Consider doing what I did... *hire* it done. This avoids *all* heartbreak regarding configuration problems, etc. Now I can build a computer if I have to; but I just don't have the time anymore.

If you check out some of the better-known editing system integrators, you'll find that often there price is equal to about maybe a $100 or so over what it would take for you to build it yourself. Figure in your *time* and effort and suddenly the extra money is meaningless compared to being free from hassles and just editing.

A chose a Canopus real-time editing system and had a well-known integrator build it for me... and believe me it's paying for itself right now as we speak. I don't have to worry about a thing, and even if I did, tech support is a free phone call. Just a suggestion,

Nathan Gifford December 17th, 2001 08:22 AM

I did not get into the system integrator stuff mostly because I wanted to capture the thought that the most popular NLEs, and Premiere is one, have the most complaints. Its harder to judge how many of those complaints are real failures of the software and not user problems.

I also know that Canopus has a very good reputation. Even among CS users they like the Canopus products. I believe Canopus comes bundled with Premiere. One day I think I might get a Canopus board because it does look good.

I guess I should have put some smiley icons on my previous and this one too. I was just a little afraid this thread was going to be 'beat up your NLE' which you know is popular to do.

I appreciated yours and 'GratedCheese's' responses.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) Smileycons all the way,

Nathan Gifford

Don Donatello December 17th, 2001 04:37 PM

vv3 love it

been using VV since 11/00 love it ... i like to refer to it as free form editing ( continue editing while it plays back preview in RT ) ...
now VV3 has it's own EXCELLENT dv codec !!!!!

Nathan Gifford December 18th, 2001 12:30 PM

Donatello, can you make DVDs with it?

Donatello ,

One of the other things I discovered is that Vegas might make good MPEG-2s, etc. Right now I am using a stripped down versiobn of Cleaner 5. I am wondering what else V V migh do that may be worthwhile.

PS. I am leaning towards getting V V.

Thanks all

Don Donatello December 20th, 2001 11:55 PM

new review on Vgeas

VV3 uses main concepts mpeg 2 codec -i have NOT used it .. i mainly edit dv to dv .. have used quick time few times and real media codec's ...

the review will tell you more about Vegas ... anyway VV3 is 199 (full version till dec 24 ..then 350+ .... )

download the trial version and give it a try !!! download the manual ...

VV3 review
http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2001/12_dec/reviews/cw_vegasvid3.htm

Nathan Gifford December 21st, 2001 09:19 AM

CDW.COM Says No Way on $169 for VV

I called CDW, no one knows about the $169 deal. We you thinking of SoFo's audio product maybe??

Thanks,

P.S. If you know where you saw it for $169 let me know...

gratedcheese December 21st, 2001 09:44 AM

Vegas Video for $199

CDW was selling VV 3, for a very short time, for $169. However, Sonic Foundry folks said that was a mix-up, and that they notified CDW that is should not be selling for that low.

I had the opportunity to buy it for $169 from CDW (I got to them before they upped the price) but they had the software on backorder.

So, I bought directly from Sonic Foundry, which has the software on sale for $199 through December 24. After that, it goes up.

Edward Troxel December 21st, 2001 03:13 PM

I, personally, use Cinestream for all of my day-to-day editing. I purchased Vegas Video but the work did not flow as well for me. I intend to use Vegas Video for a few things that Cinestream will not do (such as page curl) but will then take that small rendered section and use it in Cinestream for the final product.