Problem with PluralEyes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 11th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Problem with PluralEyes

Is anyone else using PluralEyes version 3.5.5.0 with Vegas build 310?

I am experiencing a crash every time I open PluralEyes in Vegas. At first I believed it was because it was a very long project and wondered if there was a memory leak or something like that. Now I have pared the project down to just two clips and the same thing happens, right after PE finishes preparing the data it stops working and closes. I only bought it yesterday and this is the first project I have tried it on so it's a bit disappointing!

Any experiences and solutions?

Thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Problem with PluralEyes

Ian,

Checking out like-for-like Builds and Updates is always a good place to start. Otherwise we could be chasing Wild Geese. There is an update to VP13 Build 428

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; December 12th, 2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Upgrade for PE.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #3
Old Boot

Hmmm....

I've just upgraded to PE355 - RED GIANT BIG SALE 40% off - nice - and on install and opening I got an invitation/wish for PE to Phone Home and report any issues. Now, did I want M$ to make changes? - eh, no thank you very much and I have PE355 up and running in VP13. Could you or one of your colleagues have elected for this ET Phone Home option? I'm guessing you didn't being the busy bloke you are, you wouldn't need or wish this "feature" occurring. If it is trying to "Run Home to Mama", it could feasibly be banjaxing your usage/install - only saying . . . .

Anyways, I've got it running on one of my silly lil projects I do . . . . . No problemo. I DO know that PE does need a minimum of Media to play with and maybe just maybe (too) you've got a "Waffer-Thin" slice somewhere. Use one of the tools and do an Audit.

I'll keep pluggin' away and see if I can trip it up.

Grazie
Old December 12th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #4
Old Boot

14 x WAV

18 x MOV

The Audio and Video were all over the shop.

VP13 B428

PE 3.5.5

Absolutely no fail 'cept when exported the sync timeline from PE I need to re align some of the video streams - no biggie. However your BIG LONG project may have had a complixion . . . .

Nope, so far I'm very happy. Also I got the Upgrade to PE355 with the 40% discount too.

Grazie
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks so much for taking the time Grazie. Couple of responses:

1. I didn't know there was a new build! I'll install that straight away (now done, but problem persists).
2. I'll uninstall and reinstall PE. I did install it myself but I don't recall the 'phone home' feature. Worth another look.
3. I have tried this with several versions of the same project - some with all media and some with just two clips, both of which are about 5 minutes long so no sneaky 'slivers'.
4. I am actually trying to sync a multicamera shoot (i.e two tracks of video/audio, not a track of video/audio and a track of just audio). From what I have read I believed PluralEyes can do this, but have I got that wrong?
5. I wonder if PE can't handle a mismatch of formats/framerates. One track has data captured from a Panasonic AF101 into a Samurai Blade (Avid DNxHD in a MOV container at 25p) , the other track is from a Panasonic GH3 (AVC in a MOV container at 50p). Audio format appears to be the same in both cases, although the bit rate is 1572 kbps for the AF101 audio and 1536kbps for the GH3.

I could really have done without this hassle as my world is manic at the moment! I had hoped buying PE would save me half an hour or so of lining up manually. But still, with the 40% off it is indeed a bargain - if I can work around my problems. Next stop Red Giant support. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Ian
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #6
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
. . . .
5. I wonder if PE can't handle a mismatch of formats/framerates. One track has data captured from a Panasonic AF101 into a Samurai Blade (Avid DNxHD in a MOV container at 25p) , the other track is from a Panasonic GH3 (AVC in a MOV container at 50p). Audio format appears to be the same in both cases, although the bit rate is 1572 kbps for the AF101 audio and 1536kbps for the GH3.
Compatibility Charts: Red Giant - Pleural Eyes 3.5.5 - Media and OS Support

G
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yep, just found that. It's a bit annoying because I originally read the 'PluralEyes will sync Avid DNxHD MXF files but video preview is not available' comment without spotting the MXF bit, so I assumed it mean DNxHD files were all OK :-(

However, SOME clips in this format DO work without issue! Very odd!

Oh well, I suppose I should have done more research before succumbing to the tempting 40% discount!

Thanks again for your help.

Ian . . .
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

And how amusing that they can't even spell their own product properly - Pleural Eyes?!?! pleural - definition of pleural by The Free Dictionary
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #9
Old Boot

Any chance you'd DI that footage for the process?

G
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #10
Inner Circle

When you say DI, do you mean render to a different format? If so then yes, absolutely. For this current project it's too late, I've had to do it by hand, but for future projects using these formats I will have to render to an intermediary then swap back the original media after PE has done it's magic. I guess it loses some of the time saved by PE (hmmm . . . probably all of it!) but there will, I'm sure, be other projects it can be used on where that format doesn't rear its head.

In fact - it just occurred to me - I dual record to the SDD in the Samurai and to SD cards in the camera so I don't have to re-encode, I can just use the SD format media (straight AVCHD).

I love problem solving with you Grazie, you get me thinking properly!!

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Sad to say the reply from Red Giant support was not promising as far as plans to implement support for DNxHD is concerned :-(

It seems a shame, though, given that the codec is so widely used as a way (the only way, I think?) of effectively moving video between the Apple world and Vegas.

And I'm still unclear as to why some clips work fine while others don't! There doesn't seem to be any logic behind which ones work or fail either (clip length, bit rate, etc).

Hey ho. I'll check back in a year :-)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...