Quality analysis posted for Vegas users running Connect HD 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quality analysis posted for Vegas users running Connect HD 2.0

This has taken me a while, but I have spend the last month working on quality improvement to the CineForm Intermediate codec and how it works within Vegas 6.0c. With so many Vegas editors working with HDV, using the shipped CineForm Intermediate codec or the upgraded Connect HD, we get a lot of feedback on image quality and performance (mostly very positive.) Of course we take any negative feedback seriously and we have found areas for improvement. Vegas 6.0c has recently been upgraded to version 2.1 of the codec, which was a big improvement, but quality improvements have continued since then to the new v2.3 ships in the new Connect HD 2.0.

On the CineForm website we have various quality demonstrations, but until today they where all performed within Premiere Pro. The latest analysis was done using Vegas 6.0c, giving Vegas users a much more accurate indication of the Vegas quality experience.

Please check out http://www.cineform.com/technology/H...ysis051011.htm

Thanks
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Major Player

David,

Do you know if the Z1 in pal mode can shoot at the 1/50th shutter speed without being in 25CF mode...

If so then can you use your software to turn it into 24p?

Also I'm one of those Mac people I couldn't find it but I thought I read that you could make it a quicktime file instead of an avi file?

Thanks Gary
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

1/50th shutter for a 50Hz is standard. Yet that image would be interlaced and we don't (yet :) ) offer de-interlacing of 50i to 24p. CineForm isn't stored as Quicktime file or running on the Mac (again, yet.)
Old October 12th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the answer David...

I guess I wrote that wrong... I didn't know if the Z1 can shoot 25frames non CF mode in pal... or will it only shoot 25 frames in the CF mode that was really the way I should have written it...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you mean 25 "frames" as progressive vs interlaced, CineFrame 25 is the best option. You can run the shutter at 1/25sec in 50i mode, but the resolution is either the same or lower than the CF25 mode.
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Most impressive indeed. HDLink is the most inexpensive software I have when value for money is considered.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Vegas 6.0c has recently been upgraded to version 2.1 of the codec, which was a big improvement, but quality improvements have continued since then to the new v2.3 ships in the new Connect HD 2.0.

Hi David, I have a couple of CineForm codec questions.

Can you comment on the improvements to version 2.1 included in the Vegas 6.0c update?

Can you comment on or better yet demonstrate the difference in picture quality between CineForm version 2.1 included in Vegas 6.0c and CineForm version 2.3 in Connect HD? I know there are performance and functionality gains in Connect HD, but I simply want to know about the picture quality difference between these two versions. Demo pictures would be nice.
Matt Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Version 2.1 fixed an error that was many visilibily in the shadows, if you looked very hard, and only in Vegas (not in AE, VirtualDub, Premiere etc.) So 2.1 is a nice verison. However, the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.3 of the codec focused on multiple generation characteristic within Vegas itself. Vegas is an RGB tool, whereas most of the previous multi-generation work on early codecs was performed in YUV. So Version 2.3 is truely calibrated for the RGB pathways used by Vegas. If you aren't using Connect HD, the v2.3 codec alone may not be a reason to upgrade, yet if you are using CineForm Intermeidate with Vegas there as so many other quality and performance benefits to Connect HD -- you should get it -- getting v2.3 earlier then through a Vegas upgrade is simply a bonus.
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Major Player

I just looked but can only find version 2.1 on the Cineform site.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Connect HD 2.0 contains codec v2.3 within it. Where were you looking? The codec version number and product versioning is different, it may be a little confusing.
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Major Player

Well I have the latest so I'm sure it's probably the right one: The one installed with ConnectHD 2.0.2.11. Yeah, I guess I was mixing up ConnectHD program and codec version numbers.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Aspect vs Connect

David,
I have Cineform Aspect HD for Premiere. Will this work for Vegas 6.0c? If yes, will the quality be as good asConnect HD, or is the Connect version more optimized for Vegas?
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #13

The quality is similar, but Aspect does not have anything to offer Vegas. It's a Premiere-optimized product.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #14
Major Player

To DSE and/or David Newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The quality is similar, but Aspect does not have anything to offer Vegas. It's a Premiere-optimized product.
So are you saying that I'd get better HDV quality and useability in Vegas if I spend the extra $$ and purchase Connect in addition to the Aspect that I already have?

I'm willing to do that, but only if it will make a difference!

Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #15

You won't get better quality, but you might find it runs smoother and more efficiently. So, I'd say your editing experience will improve with the purchased plugin, yes.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...