wow, vegas is kickin my a**...noob - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

If you want to go frame by frame, here's a couple of options:

1) Hold down the ALT key when using the left/right arrow keys. That will move frame by frame.

2) Zoom in on the timeline till you get to the point that the left/right arrow keys move 1 frame at a time. (Left/right arrow technically moves one "pixel")
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
1) Hold down the ALT key when using the left/right arrow keys. That will move frame by frame.
Thank you, I've been searching for a solution like this for years!
Van Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Get yourself a Shuttle Contour Pro and set it up for each of the Programs you use. That way you can switch between them without having to rethink which program you are in. I have Edius Pro3, Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and Vegas 6 all set up with the same keys on the Contour and it is the Contour program that manages the changes. Only use the mouse/keyboard for the things that are unique to the programs.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #19
Major Player

I found it useful to go into the preferences and delete all of the preset key combinations (the ones it will let you without putting them back next startup...annoying) and rebuilding them from scratch using combos that make sense to me for functions that I use regularly and taylored to my own workflow. For instance, I made the left and right arrows move the curser by one frame (without needing to press ALT), and using the JKL for when I need to scrub faster. Since I built each one, am more intimately aware of how everything will work.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #20
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if V6 is hanging on opening the media library ... make sure you have the newest NET 1.1 updates .. i believe there is a Net1.1 SP1 and a security update for Net 1.1 SP1.... out of 6 computers i had one that has been hanging off/on since build 110 - this week i did update its XP SP1 to SP2 and it no longer is hanging ... i do have a laptop that has SP 1 and it does not hang ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #21
Wrangler

I highly suggest investing in some DVD training material. It'll make the transition 100x smoother. It did for me when I came from Premiere. Best of luck.
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I switched to Vegas 5 from FCP and I hated Vegas at first. I was thinking of abandoning Vegas because I found its workflow to be so counterintuitive (is that a word?). My wife got so tired of hearing me swear at my PC that she bought both of Douglas' books for my birthday. Those books really are excellent and have saved me hours of grief.

I found that I needed to change my whole editing paradigm when switching to Vegas, but it has been worth it - it is a good application and is well worth learning. Have fun!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...