DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   wow, vegas is kickin my a**...noob (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/52660-wow-vegas-kickin-my-noob.html)

Saturnin Kondratiew October 12th, 2005 03:00 PM

wow, vegas is kickin my a**...noob

so i switched from p.pro and i know its my first day using it and all
here are my issues on day one

1. not sure why i need more than one timeline window and a trim window?? Can i trim on the timeline? and if so how?

2. Why does it capture a clip and splits it into many smaller clips? why how do i change it?

3. Why dont i have free use of the cursor to go anywere i want on the timeline? Im forced to slide left and right at at turtlesque rate. Why and how can i get a cursor...bleah..

4. how do i zoom out of the timeline and zoom in....

I'm sure its just me but any help to these would be great.

i'll have more i'm sure.

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 12th, 2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnin Kondratiew
so i switched from p.pro and i know its my first day using it and all
here are my issues on day one

1. not sure why i need more than one timeline window and a trim window?? Can i trim on the timeline? and if so how?

Grab the right or left edge of the clip, and click/drag in/out to desired length.

2. Why does it capture a clip and splits it into many smaller clips? why how do i change it?

turn off scene detection. Vegas is seeing each time you started/stopped the camcorder.

3. Why dont i have free use of the cursor to go anywere i want on the timeline? Im forced to slide left and right at at turtlesque rate. Why and how can i get a cursor...bleah..

Use the JKL shuttle to move quickly, zoom in more deeply and click drag the cursor. Use space bar to play. Get a Contour Shuttle Pro if you want to have more fun.

4. how do i zoom out of the timeline and zoom in....
Use your scroll wheel on your mouse, or use the up/down arrows on your keyboard, or select the magnify tool on the Toolbar.

I'm sure its just me but any help to these would be great.

i'll have more i'm sure.

I hope this helps a bit.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 12th, 2005 03:38 PM

thanks i'll give those a shot, i just miss the razor tool that premier has

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 12th, 2005 03:39 PM

Quote:

thanks i'll give those a shot, i just miss the razor tool that premier has

For the Razor tool, just hit "S" for "Split" and you've got the same thing.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 12th, 2005 04:31 PM

how can i preview the clip i made on the camera/deck without having to render everything??
the ripple delte doesnt seem to work, hahahah I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING....
i'm slowy loosing patience 0_o

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 12th, 2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

how can i preview the clip i made on the camera/deck without having to render everything??
the ripple delte doesnt seem to work, hahahah I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING....
i'm slowy loosing patience 0_o

You don't have to render anything to preview. If you do, you've got something set up incorrectly. Are you previewing to a Firewire out on an external monitor? Previewing internally on the preview screen?
Did you uncheck "Recompress edited frames in your Vegas preferences? (Options>Prefs>Video)

Did you capture video using some hardware other than a standard firewire card, such as a Matrox, Canopus, or Pinnacle card that uses a codec other than the raw file from the camera?

I understand your frustration, but having a more descriptive explanation of your problem will really help. I'd recommend turning off ripple until you learn the basics, as that's a fairly advanced function.

Daniel Runyon October 12th, 2005 05:28 PM

You can put your curser anywhere you want on the timeline instantly by simply clicking your mouse in the area just above the timeline (into the flat, gray area) wherever you want it.

So that Spot doesnt have to look like he's pushing his own products, I will tell you that his Vegas 5 Editing Workshop book (dont worry, 99.2% of it will work in 6 too) took me from blind idiot to pure creative freedom in no time flat....WELL worth the money and time. I also used his and Jeffrey Fishers jointly authored Instant Vegas. Instant Vegas will give you a super solid grounding in the basics, and Workshop will start you with the basics, but quickly lead you into the more advanced, semi-hidden meat of Vegas. Trust me when I tell you that the surface of Vegas is deceptively simplistic....you never know when you'll click an innocent looking little button or menu and find yourself in a new world of expressive potentials. One fine example being Track Motion. Stick with it...you will be rewarded when you find your breakthrough moment, and you will feel as if you have just found the surface after having your head held under water for years.

Take your time and just tinker....don't try to "accomplish" anthing critical with a new program...just open up your playful child heart and have fin discovering the nuances.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 12th, 2005 05:48 PM

how do i disable this"opening media library" at the start, i keeps freezing vegas. I'm getting to know it a bit better....
still how do i ripple on the timeline?
i also got it to preview on the sony deck for playback

thanx Daniel

i'm using vegas to cut a extrme sport video so i dont have time to tinker so to speak..ehehe u know

thank you for all your help... now and in a few hrs :D
cheers

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 12th, 2005 06:11 PM

Quote:

how do i disable this"opening media library" at the start, i keeps freezing vegas. I'm getting to know it a bit better....
still how do i ripple on the timeline?
i also got it to preview on the sony deck for playback

In Options/Preferences, go to the bottom of the General preferences and uncheck the Media Manager option. Then you'll need to restart Vegas.

Man, you've got guts! Editing an important project on an editor you don't know well....WOW.

As far as ripple, you can:
1. Ripple just media on a single track
2. Ripple all media related to the position you're working in
3. Ripple everything including markers, regions, etc.

To access these modes, select the drop down menu next to the ripple button seen on the toolbar. It looks like two small green squares with an arrow above them pointing to the left.
If you want to delete a hole in the rough cut for instance, be sure you've got all/everything enabled for ripple. Then double click in the hole, and press CTRL+X or Delete. This will delete the hole and slide everything to the left.

Dan Euritt October 12th, 2005 06:16 PM

don't turn off scene detection until you get vegas figured out... the only way that vegas is bearable for me is with scene detection that splits up the clips, it makes a huge difference.

when using the split key, be sure and zoom way in on the timeline to get an accurate cut... it's so much easier with scene detection, because you don't have to do that.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 12th, 2005 06:18 PM

cool i'll try that douglas, guts i dunno more like stubborn, i was about to hang it all up and go and use premiere 7 wich i also put on the pc but...but im geting vegas going and both 24 and 60i work well with eachother..next will be dumping as mpeg and making test dvd see how it looks.

going back to play some more...

i already shut down scene detection..i'll turn it back on give it another chance...

also how do i grab a few clips to move on the timeline, so far it only lets me grab one at a time to move left right..
thanx

this is going to be "learn VEGAS in 1 day" class- you guys are awesome!!

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 12th, 2005 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
don't turn off scene detection until you get vegas figured out... the only way that vegas is bearable for me is with scene detection that splits up the clips, it makes a huge difference.

when using the split key, be sure and zoom way in on the timeline to get an accurate cut... it's so much easier with scene detection, because you don't have to do that.

I'm not sure why you'd want to zoom in on the timeline to "get an accurate cut" because Vegas will display the exact frame that you're cutting. You can use CTRL+right/left arrow if you need to move one frame or another to the right or left, but whatever frame is indicated in the preview window or external monitor is exactly where the split will occur. Use JKL to shuttle around in the area you need to cut, and use the CTRL+arrow to move frame by frame if you need to. Nothing wrong with zooming in, it's just an extra step(s) because you have to zoom back out, too.

Glenn Chan October 12th, 2005 06:24 PM

The sticky at the top of this forum lets you know of many useful little features Vegas has.

It should answer some of your questions.

In particular, holding shift and crtl while over a clip will enable slip editing (and another edit mode I think).

Dan Euritt October 14th, 2005 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Use JKL to shuttle around in the area you need to cut, and use the CTRL+arrow to move frame by frame if you need to.

therein lies the problem... jkl does not shuttle frame by frame unless you are zoomed in... which is understandable... but it also means that you'll have to take your right hand off of the mouse to find home row on the keyboard, which slows the editing process down considerably, and ultimately contributes to carpel tunnel... same with using ctrl+arrow, it also requires the right hand.

depending on how your footage is shot and edited, scene detection can eliminate most of that hassle... the extreme sports vid being discussed in this thread begs for the use of scene detection.

i believe that you can map out custom keys in vegas, so those functions could be moved to your left hand... but ultimately, vegas is heavily dependant on keystroke combos to be effective, which makes it difficult to learn.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 14th, 2005 03:16 PM

wicked thanxs guys

so this is what i did...i gave vegas a shot with all your help, i'm sure i can get a hang of it in due time, but right now i'm sticking to pro.
1.i captured with pro 1.0
2.i imported all the captures into 1.5
now here is the trick
if i render a regular 24p clip on the 29timeline in pro 1.5, its going to mess the footage up, meaning it'll ghost, interlacting the whole 9 yards.
But if you apply cc or effect to the 24p footage it is fine, go figure.
So now i'm sticking to it
thanks for all the help, very much appreciated.