DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can't play this video file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/527074-cant-play-video-file.html)

Chris Hewitt February 28th, 2015 06:34 AM

Can't play this video file

Hi, I have been given this video file straight from camera, I don't know the model, to help a friend out but he can't paly it and neither can I, no matter what I do, I just get the audio but no video. I've tried many video converter programs, Vegas, Handbrake but no luck. It's a big file. I have installed Quicktime Pro 7 without any success.
These are the MediaInfo specs:

General
Complete name : K:\clip-2013-05-26 15;02;57.mov
Format : QuickTime
Format/Info : Original Apple specifications
File size : 1.77 GiB
Duration : 11mn 25s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 22.2 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-11-09 19:44:25
Tagged date : UTC 2013-11-09 19:44:25
Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID : 1
Format : AIC
Codec ID : icod
Codec ID/Info : Apple Intermediate Codec
Source duration : 11mn 25s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 20.6 Mbps
Width : 960 pixels
Height : 540 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.590
Stream size : 1.64 GiB (93%)
Source stream size : 1.65 GiB (93%)
Language : English
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : twos
Source duration : 11mn 25s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 125 MiB (7%)
Source stream size : 126 MiB (7%)
Language : English

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Paul R Johnson February 28th, 2015 08:02 AM

Re: Can't play this video file

Silly question, but if it's a .mov file, try uploading it to youtube/vimeo and see if their system can validate it as a complete video file. It could be something like your codec pack is missing something vital to replay the file. The frame size is a bit uncommon, but Vegas usually opens most stuff.

Do you have a couple of gigs of cloud storage, upload it and we will try to open it on our different systems - I'm happy to give it a go.

Seth Bloombaum February 28th, 2015 01:01 PM

Unfortunately Apple has decided in its infinite wisdom that this is a codec Windows QT users shouldn't access. Most commonly known as AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), this is the pre-ProRes codec that Final Cut Pro (pre FCP-X) used to transcode exotic camera codecs like HDV. NOT straight from the camera; this file was transcoded on-the-fly when the camera or card was connected to a Mac for ingest.

Part of Apple's strategy to extend the useful life of the old FCP architecture.

Though I have meager hope, you could try VLC and Super-C. Their decoding libraries *might* work with this. Either can transcode, though for transcoding tasks VLC is pretty non-intuitive.

Otherwise it's on to a Mac for transcoding. And hope that AIC is still supported on Mac, if one doesn't have FCP7 or earlier installed. It really should be, but Apple is a bit inconsistent with this sort of thing; in that carefully controlled environment they do make some decisions that seem pretty odd.

Not trying to start an Apple flame thread here at all; I use them, they're fine devices and a good OS, but there's some stuff like this around the edges that is a bit rough on the user.

Chris Hewitt March 1st, 2015 04:37 AM

Thanks Paul and Seth for your views. I have tried uploading the file to Dropbox a few times but it stops after a few minutes with an error message.
Given your comments, Seth, I will leave it at that and inform those concerned that if it's a Mac problem, there's no more I can do as I am completely Windows based and don't have access to Apple software.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Gerald Webb March 6th, 2015 04:00 AM

AIC plays fine on any Mac I have or have owned in the past.
It is a hassle on PC, but thats when you jump into your Mac and just transcode it there into DNXHD or Prores or whatever else you want to use on your Windows machine.

FWIW, Not trying to be rude, but, most people in this industry (not all, but most) that Ive had to collaborate with, pass on/ deliver files/ projects too, are all on Macs.
To not know or be willingly ignorant of whats over there may be a little short sighted.
Its not expensive to have at least a Mac laptop or Mac mini in your arsenal.
Its also great to be a "yes" man... AIC? No problem. FCX project? No problem.
Just my 2c
:)

Chris Hewitt March 6th, 2015 05:01 AM

Gerald, sadly, you've missed the point. We know it is a Mac file!! We've tried playing it on a Mac but it won't play on anything. The original shooter has encoded it in hindsight and probably done something to it that makes unplayable anywhere. I was told the file was straight from camera but this would appear to not be the case.
I was doing this as a favour for a friend who had tried to help a friend of a friend. We don't have the luxury of asking that person anymore so we do what we can. In this case, the file may well be corrupted.
I shoot what I shoot and work excusively for myself, I don't take paid work from other people so I don't need or want a Mac....it doesn't mean I'm ignorant re Macs.
Having used Macs for the first six years, I prefer Windows and the choice of software that I use.
I do hope you're not one of those who look down their nose at us lesser mortals who don't use Macs.
That's my 2 cents. Have a nice day.

Gerald Webb March 6th, 2015 02:24 PM

Sorry Chris, I did miss the point that it was a corrupted file.
I don't look down my nose at anyone.
I do find it odd though that a lot of talented people still look at the other platform that they don't use (whether it be Windows or Mac) like its some strange cult.
I guess that was the gist of my comments.
Again no offence intended, just shooting the breeze :)
FWIW I mainly work on Windows but do work in Mac environment if needed.
Cheers