Line has appeared in pictures - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 7th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Line has appeared in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Berg View Post
BTW, I like the subject of your graphics. ... :)
I suspected you might...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #17
Trustee

Hmmm...I have just opened up an earlier episode which I have successfully rendered out without drama...

I switched off the rendered track, and switched on a green screen track and the artifact was there...

Does this point to a hardware issue?
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Could well be - but first, have you tried turning off all other effects at media level, clip level and track level, then turn them on one at a time to see if it is a combination of plugins that might be causing the trouble? Just a thought! It would be a shame to splash out on new kit if it's something completely different.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #19
Trustee

This whole issue seems to have corrolated with the episode I mentioned on another thread where I thought I had hit something I knew not what, which produced the expanded track layers on one track.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...i-go-back.html

Perhaps I didn't 'hit something accidently' at all and rather something went wrong in Vegas to produce that result with these artefacts as a result...

Could this be a possibility? Must contact Sony support...
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #20
Inner Circle

My money is on a bad memory module on the graphic card. Swap in a different card and test it.
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #21
Trustee

Hmmm...what have I got re a spare graphics card...an ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 256m.

Could that work? Don't know much about this stuff... :-(

Seems like a considerable down spec...
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #22
Inner Circle

If you have it laying around it would be worth it to swap in an test. That isn't a very powerful card so it may not work well but if the green artifacts are gone you will have your answer.
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #23
Trustee

OK...so...we swapped out graphics cards and the artefact is still there...so it is not the graphics card...

But I tried rendering out a couple of seconds of video where the artefact was, and the artefact didn't show in the render...

And I then tried the file using Vegas v12 and the artefact did not show.

In the start up of v12 a message came up that said a plugin could not load...which was a lightflare I had used...it may be a v13 media generator...and so that did not feature. Whether that has anything to do with it I don't know...It hadn't posed a problem till a week and a half ago...

In v13 I turned off the green screen track leaving only the four background colour tracks I've used, and then turned them off one by one. In each of them the shape was perceivable in their colour...
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #24
Trustee

Further...I uninstalled v13 and reinstalled it...and the artefact is still there...
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Since the problem isn't in the rendered file I expect the source is still in the graphic card chain.

When you swapped out the cards was the alternate one the same model? Did you use the same drivers?

If you feel you have eliminated a hardware problem with the graphic card it could be the driver. Can you try a different driver and see if the problem changes?
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #26
Trustee

The card was not anywhere near the same. The Radeon one I had would not fit so my son in law brought along one that did that was a tiny thing compared to mine... not sure what it was. After fitting it, the computer went on line to find drivers for it and installed them... so the drivers must have been different.

Dealing with drivers is beyond me...

Haven't heard back from Sony yet... though it has been the weekend...
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #27
Trustee

Further...

I checked the driver for the GeForce 570 card and it was around 2 years out of date...so updated it...

...and...the artefact is still there...
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Very interesting.

Well, unless you have something sharing the same memory address as the video card I'm about out of things to suggest.
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #29
Trustee

How would you check that out?
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #30
Trustee

Well...Kim at Customer Service at Sony Creative Software has responded in a very helpful and pleasant manner and tracked down the problem so the issue is now resolved...

For those who are interested, here are Kim's directions...after I had supplied my 'System Information'...

'Thank you for writing back. I did read through the information you had provided on the forum thread through DVinfo which was very helpful and would like to try the following command to see if there may be a miscommunication occuring in Vegas Pro 13 that is not present in 12. This action will not harm any of your projects or files, but it will remove any cached settings or miscommunication that could be causing the preview display to be showing these bars in 13.

To reset all preferences, settings and window placement back to their original state, close the program. Then hold down the Ctrl & Shift keys when you start it again. When the program starts to load, you will see a window that asks: Do you want to reset all Vegas Pro 13 preferences to default values? To fully reset all defaults, make sure that 'Delete all cached application data' is checked. Then choose Yes.

After which please load your project again to see if the bar is still present and let us know if there's any change in behavior.'

I followed the instructions and the artifact has gone.

I found I had to first launch the program, then close it down, then open it again as per Kim's instructions...and I used right click > open when I opened it the second time. When attempting to open it as instructed (without first launching it), and using the double click to open it with shift/ctrl held down, the program would not start...

In the light of some comments recently on another thread about reputedly poor Vegas support, I would like to say that this experience with Sony Customer Service is anything but poor service. Rather I would rate it as excellent. Thanks again Kim...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...