Line has appeared in pictures at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 4th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Line has appeared in pictures

Greetings

I'm working on a project and have just has a line apppear in the video as seen behind my head (see photo). The line is the full length behind my head and in this case his showing a section of my green screen. However at other places on the time line it shows the colour of the backdrop only in solid colour, not with a cloud effect.

I have been through all the video tracks switching them off and on to see if I can isolate the track. I though it was one with track motion on but am not sure about that now.

I have closed the the project and opened it again and it is still there. I have closed Vegas and reopened it and it is still there.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it?
Attached Thumbnails
Line has appeared in pictures-bar-pic.jpg  
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Line has appeared in pictures

What format are you shooting in? I had a similar problem with green screen when shooting in DV. Something about the pixel structure in DV. It really showed up in hair,

www.sublime-lighting.com
Old April 4th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Brian. I'm just using DV...but this is the first time I have had something like this persist. I have just closed everything down and re booted and it is still there.

I've attached another screen shot to show it in a different part of the time line...this time it takes on teh colour of the background and goes infront of the glow (track motion) but behind the arrowhead, and behind the rest of the image. The arrow is higher on the track stack than the rest of the image
Attached Thumbnails
Line has appeared in pictures-bar-pic-2.jpg  
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #4
Old Boot

I'd need to see the Project File and open it on my VP13 timeline. At first glance it has all the look of a random sliver of a Mask not being removed and its Keyframe being held-over from another adjustment you've made.

Let's see that VEG. You can ZIP it and DVInfo will accept that.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Graham. Appreciated.

You can see it at 6:09:03 and at 21:23:13

It also appears in any green screen clip when I turn the chromakey on. I don't work with CK on as the computer can't handle the processing required...slows everything up.

I posted earlier about hitting a key (or doing something) I know not what, which brought up 'expanded track layers'. Misc funny things that I didn't understand happened on that track at that time so whether that has anything to do with it I don't know. It appeared after that event...but I closed out of the program and went back to a saved copy so it shouldn't have.

Find vege file attached.

Renton
Attached Files
File Type: zip BWV 1 Vegas v13 6a.zip (78.9 KB, 33 views)
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #6
Trustee

I just opened an earlier version of the file and it wasn't in that, and also the BAK file of the one I posted (which is from 8 hours earlier) and it is not in it...but there is another different artifact in it!!!

Renton
Old April 5th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Trustee

Here are three more screen shots of another bar, the other one I referred to...hmmm

In fact...the bar shown on the other two screen shots is no longer there...

When switching on chromakey in each of the three main green screen angles, this green bar is there.

When the graphic is on screen by itself the bar is not there, but when it is on screen in association with the green screen shot it is.

Renton
Attached Thumbnails
Line has appeared in pictures-bar-pic-3.jpg   Line has appeared in pictures-bar-pic-4.jpg  

Line has appeared in pictures-bar-pic-5.jpg  

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; April 5th, 2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

DV as in recording to tape?

We could be looking at tape dropouts here, what happens when dust on the tape or schmutz on the heads slightly lifts the tape away from the heads.

Thing is, DV has some built-in error correction for this kind of thing... which may result in different qualities of playback at different times.

I'd try rendering the original clips to DV or uncompressed AVI or DNxHD. Possibly the error correction will clean things up.

And if this seems like the right track, clean the heads with a cleaning tape or have your favorite video tech do it.

If you captured from the same camera, it's possible that a head cleaning will now enable a better capture of your existing clips. Or, if captured from a separate deck, maybe that needs a cleaning.
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Inner Circle

My money is on a bad memory chip on your graphics card.
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #10
Trustee

All green screen filming for 13 episodes was done over a three week period about three years ago... and were downloaded to the computer not long thereafter. This footage is from the 5th episode of this project and to date no other segments have had this occur...and this has only been in the last week.

Yes DV was recorded to tape...

I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 570 video card...for what it is worth...perhaps I need to giggle it in its slot...

One bar has gone and another has appeared...
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I'd have to agree with Seth in that DV is the issue from my experiences with it. Since switching to memory cards I've never had issues like that again.

BTW, I like the subject of your graphics. You're spot on!
Jesus loves you! :)

Sublime Lighting LLC
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Renton, are you using Boris Red for the keying? Just to eliminate that as a possibility can you create a copy of the project (or part of it) and use the standard Sony Chroma Keyer instead?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Regarding DV tape dropout being the issue I completely agree, that's just what it might look like (so glad those days are over!). However, if the spots are not occurring in the same places every time you play back the file that would seem to rule that out.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Renton, are you using Boris Red for the keying? Just to eliminate that as a possibility can you create a copy of the project (or part of it) and use the standard Sony Chroma Keyer instead?
Yes I am using Boris RED as my CK.

It is interesting that for three of my camera angles, the Sony CK is extremely hard to get a good key with, but with RED it was relatively easy, thus I've used RED for them, whereas for the fourth one the reverse applies, so I've used the Sony CK.

Are you suggesting that RED may be the issue? I've wondered that. If so I should contact them regarding it.

I don't see how it can be DV drop out to do with tape, because initially there was a narrow horizontal line behind my head and the arrow head, but that has gone and there is this other fatter vertical one on the left hand side. Also, I have been working on this episode for several months and as far as I'm aware there haven't been any up till recently...certainly neither of the two lines in the screen grabs were there a week ago. So unless the dropouts are occurring on the files on the computer that seems to be out...

While the spots are not occurring in a different place every time I play back (or reboot and re start the program) I think tape dropout does not seem to fit what is occurring. At the moment the fatter line is there when I start etc, but it wasn't there when I first posted, rather the other one was.
Old April 7th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #15
Trustee

I have contacted Boris to see if they think it is caused by RED.

However I have just checked and the artifact is visible over the entire duration of all green screen tracks, including the one track where I use the Sony Chroma Keyer...which suggests to me that it is not RED that is the cause...

I have just upgraded to Vegas Build 444 and it is still there...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...