DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Catalyst Edit Vegas Replacement? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/527792-catalyst-edit-vegas-replacement.html)

Alex Harper April 13th, 2015 01:31 PM

Catalyst Edit Vegas Replacement?

Does anyone know if Catalyst Edit will be a Vegas replacement?

Andy Wilkinson April 13th, 2015 01:35 PM

Re: Catalyst Edit Vegas Replacement?

Goid question - I was wondering if that was the case too. Anyone know?

Mike Kujbida April 13th, 2015 04:44 PM

The general consensus over on the Sony Vegas forum is "maybe" :(
Any NAB Vegas news? - Sony Vegas Pro - Video Forum

Leslie Wand April 14th, 2015 02:06 AM

or as i posted over at scs:

is catalyst written by the same people who write vegas? if so, that doesn't bode well for neither vegas or catalyst. you can spread your talent / staff only so thinly before the results start showing up in your product.

i shall go back to my original plea of many months (years?) ago - GET GPU SORTED OUT before anything else otherwise, like many others i think, people will start perceiving vegas as a dead end and move elsewhere, and in my case it would be to another nle entirely.

Jay Allen April 14th, 2015 05:17 PM

If sony does this, it would be the same as Final Cut X - lacking all the features we need to make money until they get them into Catalyst years later, and by then they lose their base. This is a frustrating time!!

Jordan Nash April 14th, 2015 05:28 PM

Yes, Catalyst Production Suite is a video production suite, and as such it is definitely a Vegas Pro replacement, based on what's on the web page. Catalyst Production Suite

On the Sony forum, the users seem to be confusing Catalyst Prepare (pre-production) and Catalyst Edit (NLE). It would make zero sense for Sony to maintain totally separate lines of professional video production software. Their new suite product structure is modeled after the Adobe production suite (Bridge, Premiere, After Effects, etc.) I don't see an post-edit effects or a rendering application on the page, but I have no doubt they'll announce them soon as the other production suites have them.

Also in that Sony forums discussion, users focus on the file formats mentioned prominently (4K, Sony RAW, XAVC). If you look at the bottom of the page (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystedit), you'll see all of the major file formats listed including ProRes (Sony RAW 4K, Sony RAW 2K, XAVC Long, XAVC Intra, XAVC S, XDCAM 422, XDCAM SR (SStP), DNxHD, ProRes (OS X), AVC H.264/MPEG-4, AVC/AAC (MPEG-4), AVCHD, HDV, DV, XDCAM MPEG IMX, JPEG, PNG, WAV, and MP3.).

So, yes, it's obvious to me that the Catalyst Production Suite is a replacement for Vegas.

Don Meers April 14th, 2015 06:47 PM

Im a long time Vegas user. Make a living from it. Musician background and I think thats why the Vegas interface made sense to me as opposed to other NLEs.
The problem for me is that Vegas has not evolved even though my editing needs have and I feel like Ive painted myself into a corner by continuing to use it.
I just had a look at Resolve 12 and you know what? It made sense to me from the new editing features point of view. It looks like a real contender for jumping ship. Looks like I could almost do all what I need without the massive learning curve that other NLEs seem to have for editors who come from Vegas.

Jordan Nash April 14th, 2015 07:46 PM

I was pretty excited to see the BMD Resolve 12 announcement, too. For instance, I like the fact that it has waveform sync built in.

Leslie Wand April 14th, 2015 07:53 PM

funnily enough don that's exactly my train of thought...

vegas has made me a lot of money over the years i've been using it, and i've always been happy enough to plough it back when new versions appeared (that is, after the general reports were in). however, for the last few releases i've not seen anything particularly worthwhile, whilst a lot of gimmicks, such as 3d, being thrown in when most users i know are asking for stability and robustness and other boring, mundane features such as outstanding bug fixes are simply ignored altogether.

and that's not to mention my particular gripe - gpu. either they fix it or throw it out, but in its present state it's simply wrecking the once proud reputation vegas held.....

Jay Allen April 14th, 2015 08:29 PM

I have made my living from editing on Sony Vegas since version 3. The simple fact is ever since Sony bought Vegas, the development and support has gotten worse through out the years. Vegas use to be the leader in new innovations, but now is lacking at keeping up with the competitors. I would love to stay with Vegas if it would sort out bugs and gpu support, but now we are being herded into Catalyst. Sony has never been at the forefront of NAME brand editing and that worries some of my clients and I feel that Catalyst will have the same problem with "The Name" and with the poor customer service Sony provides.

SVP13 RIP

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 15th, 2015 01:17 AM

I guess that I feel the same as you guys. I've stuck with Vegas through its various incarnations, and really like using it. When I first heard it mooted that Sony might be dropping Vegas, I decided to download trial versions of the alternatives, Premiere Pro CC and Edius 7. As good as they might be, they really don't come up the the sheer versatility and intuitive workflow of Vegas.
I've tried the trial of Catalyst as well, and don't really see the point of it...
Ah well, Avid is about to release a free version!