DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/528796-dvd-architect-pro-6-0-a.html)

Matthias Claflin June 18th, 2015 08:36 AM

DVD Architect Pro 6.0

Hey everyone!

I got my start editing on Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.0. Since then I made the move to the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, (as it made since financially for me and my business, where I use After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom and Audition on a regular basis). In order to get all the tools I needed for the job I stopped editing with Sony.

Long story short Adobe dropped Encore after CS6 which means no more updates, no more patches, no more support. In looking for the future of DVD and Blu-ray authoring for my wedding videos, I remember my very positive experience with DVDA. DVD Architect Pro 6.0 looks really good quite honestly, and would, in theory, receive updates every so often, albeit I would have to pay to upgrade to 7, 8, 9, etc.

Would moving from Encore CS6 be beneficial with DVDA Pro 6, or are they more or less the same in terms of capability? Will Sony continuing supporting/updating DVDA with some other developers dropping dvd authoring?

Seth Bloombaum June 18th, 2015 03:31 PM

Re: DVD Architect Pro 6.0

Well, I'm no expert on shiny discs anymore. All my work is delivered online in one way or another, and has been for a while. No more 100-stacks of DVD-R media - right now I'm waiting for an upload to complete, twiddling my thumbs, so, I'll take a swipe at this.

I think for this moment it comes down to which product features and workflow *you* prefer.

Sony has continued to support DVDA, obviously Adobe is thinking about something else. Whether that means DVDA will continue to enjoy updates? Well, since Sony added BR the only updates are bug fixes and for new OS.

I don't think that's going to change as long as DVD and BR are the output. What I'm trying to say is that the shiny disc formats are standards-based, and the standards aren't changing, so why would DVDA? (other than bugs and new OS)

My recc would be for you to download the trial version of DVDA and see if you like the workflow better.

But also realize that at some point your version of Encore isn't going to work with that next OS, then you'll have to jump ship.

Upload's done, do post back if you eval these side-by-side...

Mike Kujbida June 19th, 2015 06:56 AM

The last update to DVDA was when 6.0 was released in October 2012 and the only improvement over 5.2 was support for burning stereoscopic 3D video to Blu-ray Disc. Nothing since then so my personal feeling is that there won't be any more new versions. Sony introduced DoStudio and associated products a year or two ago. It's a Blu-ray Disc authoring/ encoding solution. Not cheap though as the starting prices is US $2,995.00 :(
Having said that, I've been a DVDA user for a very long time and am quite happy with it.

Matthias Claflin June 19th, 2015 07:02 AM

I'll be downloading the trial of DVDA this weekend and giving it a shot. I understand that other than updates for bugs and new OS's is the biggest thing, but I thought maybe they'd update features/UI potentially. I'm on Windows 8.1 and Encore works fine on here, and I don't anticipate updating to Windows 10 for some time (but when the time comes, I may leave encore behind depending on compatibility.)

The things I know I will miss about Encore are the integration with the rest of the Adobe suite. I design menus in Photoshop mostly and if I need to edit them, I press one button and it exports and then opens the design in photoshop. All I have to do is save that psd file and it is back in encore with any updates. This wouldn't be as streamlined in DVDA but if there was some promise of better features or updated UI in the future, I'd be less hesitant to switch.

Nonetheless, I'll let you all know what my experiences are when I get to work with both of them.

Mike Kujbida June 19th, 2015 09:16 AM

If you need it, Sony does have a few training videos and articles on DVDA.

Sony Creative Software - Training and Support - DVD Architect Pro