difficulty in getting fade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 03:28 AM   #1
Trustee

difficulty in getting fade

Sometimes, depending on how expanded vertically a track is, or whether or not an envelope (composite) is on the top of the track, it is difficult to get the fade emblem to come up by hovering over the top end corner of the track.

Is there some way to easily bring this up, say by using a keystroke in conjunction with hovering over the critical spot?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:55 PM   #2
Old Boot

Re: difficulty in getting fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Sometimes, . . it is difficult to get the fade emblem to come up by hovering over the top end corner of the track.
Yes, mind-numbingly frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Is there some way to easily bring this up, say by using a keystroke in conjunction with hovering over the critical spot?
No.

However . . . . make sure "Quantize to Frames" is turned on to ensure that the Event ends on a Frame. SONY has really improved various Graphical element of the Workspace. Now, I'm not saying that this infuriating item HAS been improved, but you may wish to consider that maybe the latest, recent Update or Upgrade is the best it IS going to be - yeah?

What can I say . . . ?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Graham. I've found I have to expand the track vertically so it is big...and if there is an envelope at/near the top, move it down, make my fade then reinstate the envelope, and reduce track size...

It would be nice if the fade selection was more straightforward...

I wouldn't know if I have 'quantized to frames' on or not. I've never consciously switched it on or off (actually don't know where to find it) and have managed OK since v6, whatever my setting is... :-)
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Surely just briefly hide the envelopes (there's a keystroke for this that I can't remember offhand), grab the fade edge (which I've never had a problem grabbing if there's nothing in the way) and re-view the envelopes once moved?

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Renton, I've been using a fade in/out script that was written by Edward Troxel some time ago.
What I like is that all I have to do is click the event to highlight it and run the appropriate script. I use it a lot on titles.
I modified the basic one to give me fade in, fade out, and fade in & out versions for 1/2 sec. and 1 sec.
I zipped all six into one folder and put them up on my Dropbox account if you're interested.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u9iwz6s1r...0Menu.zip?dl=0
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Mike. I don't use fades that often and they vary when I do so I'm not looking to automate them. If that need arose it would be good to use your script.

David's way seems to be more what I'm after. 'View > Show Envelopes' or 'Ctrl+Shift+E', hides and shows envelopes pretty easily...

Thanks again
Old July 8th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

No problem Renton. Glad that you found a solution that works for you.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...