DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sony Vegas and Windows 10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/529120-sony-vegas-windows-10-a.html)

Chris Hewitt July 19th, 2015 05:57 PM

Re: Sony Vegas and Windows 10

Mark, I never installed it on my edit PC...is what I meant. We have several dedicated PCs here and with my brother's business using various platforms and it's just my personal preference. Is that ok?

Gerald Webb August 1st, 2015 04:34 PM

I did it. Had my C drive cloned so no risk.
I did it the worst way possible, ran the iso from my desktop and chose upgrade and keep all files and apps.
More experiment than a serious go at it.

As expected, Vegas went mutant, it froze and had to end task 3 times before it would open. Reinstalled and got to the UI but it still seemed laggy. Was even a problem to get it uninstalled, Add Remove programs has a new look and kept hanging/not responding.
Adobe apps were fine.

After about 3 hrs of problem solving, I restored my 8.1
If upgrading, do a clean install for sure.
Cant see a reason to upgrade though unless the benchmarks show improved performance in Vegas or other apps you use.

Chris Harding August 1st, 2015 06:06 PM

Thanks Gerald ..Glad you were the beta tester and not me! I think maybe install on a spare machine but that's about as far as I will go ..Let them debug the software first otherwise we might have a hige backlog of work and a dead computer! Not a good idea

I'll stay with 7 Professional for the moment !!

Mark Rosenzweig August 1st, 2015 07:20 PM

I have personally been involved in upgrading to Windows 10 on six Windows 8.1 machines, from desktops to laptops to tablets and 2-in-1's. None encountered any problems. It's a faster, leaner (takes up less space) operating system. It natively works now with H265 video, btw (thumbnails from h265 clips and the built-in video player plays h265 clips too). And, oh, yes, Sony Vegas Pro works fine (loads faster). No disc cloning on any.

Leslie Wand August 1st, 2015 07:42 PM

seem to have lost who posts messages in the header?

anyway, in response to last post:

you say 'no cloning'. are / were these installs clean or updates then?

Mark Rosenzweig August 1st, 2015 08:12 PM

Updates, the way it is supposed to work. My own files are backed up; that is what is valuable. Anyway, I am not promoting anything just providing info.

Gerald Webb August 1st, 2015 11:22 PM

Thats interesting.
My pc was in no way usable after upgrading. I put it down to not being a clean install.
Will try a clean install and see if any better....

Brian Berg August 6th, 2015 11:51 AM

I installed it over Windows 7 and have seen a couple bugs, but nothing that was much of a problem. Vegas 13 did a whole screen flash a few times, like a white flash transition. It did it during one editing session and hasn't happened since. It's been running fine since.

I have Office 2010 32bit on the machine and I have a small issue with Windows switching my tabs from Home to File after every edit. I also installed 10 on 6 other machines and have had no issues at all.
I did update my Firefox to 40.0 Beta which seems to have fixed a small CPU usage issue.

I've already downloaded and installed the first batch of 10 updates too.
Overall, I like it a lot and don't see a reason to roll back to 7 anytime soon.

God mode is very handy for changing settings. You may want to use that.
Unlock Windows 10's hidden, powerful GodMode tool | PCWorld

David Wayne Groves August 8th, 2015 10:58 AM

Did the upgrade(Not a clean install) from 8.1 pro to 10pro and Vegas is working fine for me ..
Just completed a small project and no issues thus far..

Andy Smith August 9th, 2015 10:28 AM

Well I'v just wasted two days in trying to get the windows 10 upgrade from 7 to complete without success.
Error no1 system reserved space too small as win 7 100MB and 10 needs more. Solution is to use a third party partition manager in increase the size. What a pain.

Error no2 system service exception igdkmd64.sys this relates to Intel HD4000 graphics driver (took ages to find this out. 10 rolls back to 7

Error no3 Still no luck as migrate data error stops the upgrade with 10 rolling back to 7.

Stay with 7 I think, at least for now.

Robin Davies-Rollinson August 9th, 2015 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear that.
I've just upgraded from WIN 7 with no problems - apart from first attempt aborting because I still had some external drives connected, as well as not de-activating anti-virus software. After that, everything went like a dream.
Vegas Pro 13 as well as Hitfilm 3 Pro all behaving well...

Dave Blackhurst August 9th, 2015 03:11 PM

Hmmm, seems a bit hit and miss...

I tossed 10 onto a little laptop I'm selling anyway, and it went fast and clean, and the W10 interface actually felt quite comfortable and usable, right off the USB stick.

I have a schedule of machines to be upgraded, with my current main machine the last on the list, so in a few days I might get to a machine with Vegas on it!

I will say that for the most part it seems like people upgrading relatively current machines are having few problems (seen that partition one reported elsewhere), and the little laptop I did was already fast with 8.1, and felt even more responsive with 10.

I have a few odd bits of hardware that never got driver updates after XP, I hope I don't "lose" any with the W10 update, but I have a funny feeling that there may be a couple obscure things that will stop working...

Bryan Quarrie August 10th, 2015 02:49 AM

I've recently upgraded both my laptop (Acer 5755G, 3 years old) and my old 8 year old desktop machine with W10 and they both ran fine without a clean install.
I had to reinstall some minor drivers like printer, usb mouse etc, but it was a nearly painless transition.

With regards to Vegas Pro 13 (on desktop machine) I had to reinstall it, but not the 3rd party plug ins I've got (mainly Newbluefx plugins and Neat). First thing that was immediately apparent was that prior to W10 I couldn't use GPU acceleration with Neat (I've got version 4, GPU is AMD R290x), but on W10 I can ☺. Neat used to crash Vegas when trying to do so. What a pleasant surprise!

I don't think that I'll ever return to 7. It took a while for me to adjust, but now it feels more stable than 7.

Brian Berg August 13th, 2015 12:16 PM

<I don't think that I'll ever return to 7. It took a while for me to adjust, but now it feels more stable than 7. >

Same here. I like how configurable it is. I don't see a need for 7. It already feels like XP did when I switched to 7 years ago. I have'nt had hardly any issues at all. Firefox ran weird, but now they're up to version 41 and that seems fine now too.

Alex Harper August 13th, 2015 05:14 PM

I upgraded to W10, there was a few minor issues from the upgrade on my 3 year old install of W7 so I did a clean install a few days after my upgrade & it's been rock solid since, everything is running 100%. I'm loving W10 & couldn't go back to W7, MS nailed it with W10.