DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sony Vegas and Windows 10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/529120-sony-vegas-windows-10-a.html)

Jeff Harper August 14th, 2015 10:24 AM

Re: Sony Vegas and Windows 10

I've never had issues with Windows 8 even from the early beta releases, and I feel that Windows 10 will be trouble free much in the same in that way. 10 is clearly a great OS but there will still be people who try to make it work with outdated hardware and that will be the majority of the problem children we will see posting, or those that did not do a clean install. And they'll be crying and complaining, as usual. But I'm glad to see so many here already having good luck with it.

Leslie Wand August 14th, 2015 05:53 PM

my laptop keeps reminding me to update which i simply dismiss every morning.

quite frankly i really don't have the time or the patience to do a clean install - it'd take the best part of a day reloading software, re registering, etc, etc., etc., that equates to over $500 of my time.

i'll eventually give it a whirl on the laptop (having a backup of course), and if that goes well i'll try a coupe of other pc's before i do my nle - but as simple upgrades, not clean installs.

i've got to the point where i feel that unless there's a significant advantage to ANYTHING new, the waste of time, energy and worry just isn't worth it anymore - i'd prefer to spend that time in something more productive, such as sleeping ;-)

Chris Harding August 14th, 2015 06:11 PM

Right on Leslie!

My PC bugs me in the morning too!! I simply don't change my OS midstream and also until all the bugs are ironed out. I can imagine the chaos of being down for a week ! Now I see in the audio forum that Win10 is corrupting WAV files??

Adam Stanislav August 14th, 2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1895163)
my laptop keeps reminding me to update which i simply dismiss every morning.

Mine did that, too, until I got fed up with the popups, so the next time it appeared, I went to the task manager and found which executable was doing the popping up. I dismissed the message, then deleted the executable and it has never popped up since. :)

Leslie Wand August 15th, 2015 01:58 AM

adam, care to share that info ;-)

btw. this from over at scs:

Sounds like Windows 10 is having other issues too:

http://www.sounddevices.com/news/sou...echnical-alert

"
Sound Devices Technical Alert

We have confirmed user reports of a serious issue with Windows 10 and removable media formatted as FAT32. Users are experiencing corruption of .wav media files by simply inserting FAT32 formatted SD or CF cards into a Windows 10 computer. Files do not need to be opened or accessed in order for them to become corrupt.

We wish to emphasize that this problem exists with .wav files regardless of whether they were recorded on Sound Devices equipment or not. We strongly recommend not using Windows 10 with your Sound Devices created audio files.

This problem has been reported to Microsoft who will have to issue any fix, update, or further information on the behavior of Windows 10. If we learn of any new information we will share it at the earliest. Thank you for your continued support!"

Adam Stanislav August 15th, 2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1895182)
adam, care to share that info ;-)

But I did. :)

I don’t remember the name of that executable anymore. I just remember what I did. When it popped up, I pressed the Windows key and the letter X, then the letter T. That got me to the task manager (that is in Windows 8.1, in previous versions I would have pressed ctl-alt-del and picked the task manager from the options that would have appeared).

I looked through the list of tasks and noticed one whose name I no longer remember, but the name was fairly obvious as being the one asking me to reserve the update to Windows 10. I opened the folder with that executable (I should add I am using Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com as a replacement for my task manager, which makes handling the tasks much easier). I then deleted the task from the Process Explorer and the popup disappeared. Then I double-clicked on the executable to make sure I had the correct executable. The popup re-appeared.

I then killed the task again, and deleted the executable. It is possible I renamed the executable to something else at first, just to make sure deleting it would not mess up the system, then rebooted, and only when everything worked smoothly without the executable running. It did, so I finally deleted the renamed file, and everything has been working ever since, just without the annoying popup.

I have no intention to update to Windows 10 because in my experience each major release of Windows tends to have problems with third-party device drivers written for the previous version of Windows. For example, my printer would not work with Windows 8, only with prior versions and the manufacturer does not provide new drivers. I had to buy a new printer just to be able to print from Windows 8(.1), and I do not want to have to buy yet another printer for Windows 10.

Also, I have had heart problems and have to monitor my blood pressure with an external BP monitor which its manufacturer does not make anymore, and there are no newer drivers for it. I am not willing to get a “free” update to Windows just to be forced to spend hundreds of dollars to buy new hardware for everything I do.

Adam

James Manford August 15th, 2015 03:47 PM

I'll eventually upgrade. A few years later.

Jo Ouwejan August 16th, 2015 02:44 AM

The exe is called GWXUX.exe

Alex Harper August 17th, 2015 03:19 PM

By the way if you're not sure & simply want to test W10 it is possible to downgrade & restore back to W7 if you're not happy with the W10 upgrade.

Andy Smith August 20th, 2015 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Smith (Post 1894661)
Well I'v just wasted two days in trying to get the windows 10 upgrade from 7 to complete without success.
Error no1 system reserved space too small as win 7 100MB and 10 needs more. Solution is to use a third party partition manager in increase the size. What a pain.

Error no2 system service exception igdkmd64.sys this relates to Intel HD4000 graphics driver (took ages to find this out. 10 rolls back to 7

Error no3 Still no luck as migrate data error stops the upgrade with 10 rolling back to 7.

Stay with 7 I think, at least for now.

I thought I would update you on this.

I now have Windows 10 running and producing video with Vegas 13.

Note: I used an ISO image of Windows 10 burnt to a DVD to upgrade as this saves hours of re-download if a system error stops the upgrade.

These were the issues I had to solve to do it on my PC running windows 7

1). Resize the reserved system area on the SSD (used a free partition utility)
2). Uninstall/remove the intel HD4000 graphics driver igdkmd64.sys
3). Change the security permissions on the SSD to full control for all users (not just system). Error system exception not handled fixed as a result.
4). Windows 10 did not like Kaspersky and froze when looking for an update, on reboot just kept rebooting. The only way out was to do a windows refresh/repair which deleted all my apps. Roll back to win 7 not possible via recovery panel after this.
5) From windows.old directory (windows 7 roll back directory) I was able to recover all my e-mails and settings for most of the uninstalled apps).

So quite a frustrating process that certainly did not go smoothly. I am currently getting used to Windows 10 and re installing many of my previous apps. I did find the Vegas settings, scrips, templates from windows.old to copy over to the new install. Win 10 seems faster and I guess most will probably eventually end up migrating eventually.

I hope this may be helpful to anyone else having similar errors when trying to upgrade.

Dave Blackhurst August 20th, 2015 01:41 PM

Haven't gotten to the "main" machines yet... but have done several older machines while finding the tricks. W10 is definitely faster once installed and updated (and it DOES go through at least one upgrade cycle after install, so it feels sluggish during that process!). Video drivers seem to something that comes in after the initial install, so things don't always look quite right, and I was getting some error messages until the updates settled in, not huge, just something to be aware of. Overall, W10 actually adds new life to an old machine, which is nice - performance improvements over 7 are noticeable (as they were with 8 over 7).

Found some strangeness with "gestures" on Synaptics trackpads, work in some programs, not others (reported on the web). No drivers for a really old Radeon video card, which worked fine with generic MS drivers after 10 install. A couple other minor programs that had to be updated, but most things seem to work, and faster...

Haven't tried or run across the problems with audio files reported on the audio threads here... fingers crossed.

I just set up a USB stick, and recommend hooking up an ethernet cable vs. wireless - there are several "updating" cycles while installing that take a LONG time on older wireless (g).

Have a couple more computers to do before I do the desktop that was recently retired for a zippy laptop, that one is the final test, as it has all the "production stuff" on it, and was due for a reinstall anyway, something went a little "off" with the 8 install.... it worked, so never got around to reinstalling, 10 should clean out the cobwebs...

Ian Stark August 21st, 2015 08:34 AM

I have two editing pcs - a high(ish) end laptop which I occasionally use when travelling and a big brute of a desktop where most ofthe work gets done. I upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 and took it away with me on a couple of recent jobs in Spain and Denmark. It wasn't essential that I could edit while I was away but I wanted to get the job of ingesting and logging done before I came home. As such it wasn't going to be a major nightmare if it all went horribly wrong.

Installation was a breeze (I upgraded rather than clean installed, just because I really didn't have the time to spend reinstalling everything) and all apps and peripherals work fine. Immediate impressions were that W10 is snappier, cleaner, more logically laid out than it's predecessors. I haven't looked at any user guides and was able to tweak some of the more annoying defaults easily. I really like the 'new' start menu - a lot. I hated the full screen Metro interface (was that what they called it?) and rarely visited it, but this Minimetro I like. So, a little bit of re-education and I was up and running. All the apps I tested worked as before. I can't say I was conscious of any performance enhancements.

As it happened I also edited a couple of fun projects for my wife while I was away, with multiple tracks, a mix of stills, iphone video (landscape and portrait - sigh), 4K straight from a GH4 and a GoPro (at 24fps and 96fps) and 10-bit DNxHD from a Samurai Blade/AF101 combo. I also added some music in mp3 format and a few wav sfx. Simple colour correction using the excellent Colorfast, a couple of audio plugins, final output 1080i. Long and short is that Vegas performed flawlessly. Actually, that's not strictly true - I had failed to upgrade Vegas to the latest build and I did have trouble opening a project which I created on the big box and ported over to the laptop. I have a feeling it was a footage format issue but didn't spend any time troubleshooting. A quick install of build 453 and all was well.

I guess I have spent about six hours editing with Vegas 13 Pro on Windows 10 and so far not a single blip. I would have expected a crash or two by now but nothing yet!

I'm afraid I'm a bit gung ho when it comes to upgrading to latest versions of anything. I should be a lot more cautious, given that this is my sole source of income, but I can't help myself! The big question is do I dare upgrade the big box now . . . .?

Jeff Harper August 21st, 2015 09:32 AM

Ian, thanks for sharing your experience, very encouraging!

I just might go for it!

Leslie Wand August 21st, 2015 05:06 PM

ditto ;-}

well, on the laptop to start with.

Danny Fye August 22nd, 2015 11:36 PM

I am waiting for Sound Blaster to finish the Windows 10 drivers. Meanwhile, there is no sound and the apps do not work.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on a separate hard drive, did a cloned backed up and then upgraded to windows 10.

I can easily go back to Windows 7.