Sony Vegas and Windows 10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 19th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony Vegas and Windows 10

Mark, I never installed it on my edit PC...is what I meant. We have several dedicated PCs here and with my brother's business using various platforms and it's just my personal preference. Is that ok?
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 04:34 PM   #17
Trustee

I did it. Had my C drive cloned so no risk.
I did it the worst way possible, ran the iso from my desktop and chose upgrade and keep all files and apps.
More experiment than a serious go at it.

As expected, Vegas went mutant, it froze and had to end task 3 times before it would open. Reinstalled and got to the UI but it still seemed laggy. Was even a problem to get it uninstalled, Add Remove programs has a new look and kept hanging/not responding.
Adobe apps were fine.

After about 3 hrs of problem solving, I restored my 8.1
If upgrading, do a clean install for sure.
Cant see a reason to upgrade though unless the benchmarks show improved performance in Vegas or other apps you use.
Old August 1st, 2015, 06:06 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Gerald ..Glad you were the beta tester and not me! I think maybe install on a spare machine but that's about as far as I will go ..Let them debug the software first otherwise we might have a hige backlog of work and a dead computer! Not a good idea

I'll stay with 7 Professional for the moment !!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:20 PM   #19
Trustee

I have personally been involved in upgrading to Windows 10 on six Windows 8.1 machines, from desktops to laptops to tablets and 2-in-1's. None encountered any problems. It's a faster, leaner (takes up less space) operating system. It natively works now with H265 video, btw (thumbnails from h265 clips and the built-in video player plays h265 clips too). And, oh, yes, Sony Vegas Pro works fine (loads faster). No disc cloning on any.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:42 PM   #20
Trustee

seem to have lost who posts messages in the header?

anyway, in response to last post:

you say 'no cloning'. are / were these installs clean or updates then?
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:12 PM   #21
Trustee

Updates, the way it is supposed to work. My own files are backed up; that is what is valuable. Anyway, I am not promoting anything just providing info.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:22 PM   #22
Trustee

Thats interesting.
My pc was in no way usable after upgrading. I put it down to not being a clean install.
Will try a clean install and see if any better....
Old August 6th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I installed it over Windows 7 and have seen a couple bugs, but nothing that was much of a problem. Vegas 13 did a whole screen flash a few times, like a white flash transition. It did it during one editing session and hasn't happened since. It's been running fine since.

I have Office 2010 32bit on the machine and I have a small issue with Windows switching my tabs from Home to File after every edit. I also installed 10 on 6 other machines and have had no issues at all.
I did update my Firefox to 40.0 Beta which seems to have fixed a small CPU usage issue.

I've already downloaded and installed the first batch of 10 updates too.
Overall, I like it a lot and don't see a reason to roll back to 7 anytime soon.

God mode is very handy for changing settings. You may want to use that.
Unlock Windows 10's hidden, powerful GodMode tool | PCWorld
Old August 8th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Did the upgrade(Not a clean install) from 8.1 pro to 10pro and Vegas is working fine for me ..
Just completed a small project and no issues thus far..
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Well I'v just wasted two days in trying to get the windows 10 upgrade from 7 to complete without success.
Error no1 system reserved space too small as win 7 100MB and 10 needs more. Solution is to use a third party partition manager in increase the size. What a pain.

Error no2 system service exception igdkmd64.sys this relates to Intel HD4000 graphics driver (took ages to find this out. 10 rolls back to 7

Error no3 Still no luck as migrate data error stops the upgrade with 10 rolling back to 7.

Stay with 7 I think, at least for now.
Andy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #26
Trustee

Sorry to hear that.
I've just upgraded from WIN 7 with no problems - apart from first attempt aborting because I still had some external drives connected, as well as not de-activating anti-virus software. After that, everything went like a dream.
Vegas Pro 13 as well as Hitfilm 3 Pro all behaving well...
Old August 9th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hmmm, seems a bit hit and miss...

I tossed 10 onto a little laptop I'm selling anyway, and it went fast and clean, and the W10 interface actually felt quite comfortable and usable, right off the USB stick.

I have a schedule of machines to be upgraded, with my current main machine the last on the list, so in a few days I might get to a machine with Vegas on it!

I will say that for the most part it seems like people upgrading relatively current machines are having few problems (seen that partition one reported elsewhere), and the little laptop I did was already fast with 8.1, and felt even more responsive with 10.

I have a few odd bits of hardware that never got driver updates after XP, I hope I don't "lose" any with the W10 update, but I have a funny feeling that there may be a couple obscure things that will stop working...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I've recently upgraded both my laptop (Acer 5755G, 3 years old) and my old 8 year old desktop machine with W10 and they both ran fine without a clean install.
I had to reinstall some minor drivers like printer, usb mouse etc, but it was a nearly painless transition.

With regards to Vegas Pro 13 (on desktop machine) I had to reinstall it, but not the 3rd party plug ins I've got (mainly Newbluefx plugins and Neat). First thing that was immediately apparent was that prior to W10 I couldn't use GPU acceleration with Neat (I've got version 4, GPU is AMD R290x), but on W10 I can ☺. Neat used to crash Vegas when trying to do so. What a pleasant surprise!

I don't think that I'll ever return to 7. It took a while for me to adjust, but now it feels more stable than 7.
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #29
Regular Crew

<I don't think that I'll ever return to 7. It took a while for me to adjust, but now it feels more stable than 7. >

Same here. I like how configurable it is. I don't see a need for 7. It already feels like XP did when I switched to 7 years ago. I have'nt had hardly any issues at all. Firefox ran weird, but now they're up to version 41 and that seems fine now too.
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I upgraded to W10, there was a few minor issues from the upgrade on my 3 year old install of W7 so I did a clean install a few days after my upgrade & it's been rock solid since, everything is running 100%. I'm loving W10 & couldn't go back to W7, MS nailed it with W10.
Alex Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...