Sony Vegas and Windows 10 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 23rd, 2015, 04:47 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Sony Vegas and Windows 10

I took the plunge and installed W10 on the big box yesterday (having backed up the Win 8.1 installation to an unused internal drive - I'm not THAT gung ho!)

I've just finished the first draft edit of a client job combining 1080p, 4k, high res stills. Basic colour correction with Colorfast, lots of pan/crop keyframing on the 4k footage and stills. So far so good. I did get a curious 'your last project didn't shut down properly' message on reopening the project (and through habit I always pre-empt the system message 'do you want to save your changes' by forcing a save before exiting, so I know it is the latest version). Other than that, though, so far it's been crash free.

No problems with my peripherals - Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface, Canon MG5250 inkjet/scanner, HP LaserJet Pro wireless laser printer, wide array of USB2 and 3 drives, plus some NAS storage. Network and internet all seem fine. Haven't tested the DVD/BluRay burner yet (rarely use it these days) or my Wacom tablet or Shuttle Pro (both also little used).

Other major apps tested (not as thoroughly as Vegas) - Cakewalk Sonar Platinum, which really pushes the audio hardware; Photoshop CC2015, Lightroom, Cinema4D - all seem fine. Haven't tested After Effects or Camtasia yet.

Same performance report as with the laptop - it all seems nippier. I have to do a bit more tweaking to get rid of the junk but that's par for the course with any new Windows install I guess.

I'm encouraged by my experience to date. I can't believe there won't be any issues as I go forward but for the time being I'm sticking with 10.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:43 PM   #47
Inner Circle

I updated my lowly Dell Vostro with a Core Duo chip, and four gigs of memory. It had Windoss 7 Pro 64bit on board, with 4 gigs of memory. I had been unsatisfied with Vegas 12 on that system, so I decided I wouldn't be missing much if it didn't run well on that system. I was pleasantly surprised that the upgrade was uneventful, and Vegas is actually more usable with this version. I went ahead and upgraded my main box and the general overall report is that it runs faster, cleaner, and seems to be bug free. I will be editing with a producer on Tuesday, so we'll see how that goes.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 05:27 PM   #48
Trustee

thanks to all for reporting in. i am getting a little bit more confident with the idea of trying 10 on one of my laptops at least....

oh well it's pissing down and i really didn't feel like doing anything so i wasted the afternoon....

another heads-up re 10:

still avoiding risking it on 'work' pc's, but i did stick it on an old tosh sat pro s200 duo core laptop with 4gb ram.

have been pleasantly surprised how (relatively to 7) snappy it's become. the upgrade was slow, but painless. all my apps and settings still seem to work.

next is having a play with the gui. don't like not being able to sort / arrange my apps in 'view all', but the tiles now do seem to have some use... we'll see...

Last edited by Leslie Wand; August 24th, 2015 at 01:46 AM.
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #49
Major Player

Update:

While searching forums I found where a person said that if one disables the Sound Blaster driver and then re-enables it, it will work.

I tried it and it indeed works. My Sound Blaster Titanium HD now has sound AND the sound fonts work as well. I am not yet sure if my audio tools work.

I have the real time audio analyzer that lets me see what I cannot hear and my midi music software.

So a big step in the right direction but I am not sure if I can get full results with it yet.

As for auto-updates, just like with Windows 7, I disconnect the editing system from the internet so it cannot update in ways that are undesirable.

Meanwhile, I can still use my windows 7 ultimate boot to get important video projects done. When I am finally satisfied with the Windows 10 boot, I will then start using it for serious projects.

I read elsewhere a post from a person who upgraded their working system right in the middle of the wedding season. That is a HUGE no-no!

One should always develop the upgrade on an extra boot drive and not use it for important projects until they are satisfied that it is ready for prime time. One can take their time with it this way and it will not matter if it goes bad or not.
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #50
Major Player

Another Update:

I used my Zoom H2n to make a test recording to see what happens with its wav file.

I put the card in the reader and the wav file is perfectly fine.

Maybe there is a problem with certain recording devices and/or certain settings for the wav file?

I used 48/16 for the recording setting.

I used the Sound Blaster utility to check for updated software. It said that my software is up to date and that it does not need updating even though only two of the apps work with it. At least for me, the most important app for the sound font works. The audio editor app works though I will still use Audacity.

Great News! The real time audio analyzer works perfectly! In fact much better than it did with Windows 7.

It never did work with Windows 8.1

Things are looking better and better. I hope these positive results continue.
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Today, I worked with a producer on a film. We are doing scene by scene editing. On my main box, I could not render out the prior or current edits. Its a Dell 420 XPS. A few years back I added an Nvidea card to the box, as well as additional memory bringing it to 8 gig My hard drive for the edit files and the source files is a USB3 drive. I updated the drivers, and still no dice,.

Interestingly, I took the edit I did to my Del Vostro laptop, which also is running Windows 10, and I was able to render the edit without a problem..
Old August 29th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #52
Regular Crew

One thing that seems to have improved since running Win10 is GPU compatibility. Under Win7 I would get Vegas freeze and exit when choosing GPU. I have a Geforce 780TI. Now with the Win10 graphics driver and OpenCL Vegas has not had a problem so far. Not much difference in rendering time but smoother time line playback.
Andy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Today I did what I never have done, I upgraded and did not do a clean install. I have had random shutdown issues for a few months and just have not had time to do a Windows installation.

This upgrade seems to have fixed my issue.

I have been doing clean installs since Windows 95, wiping the hard drive manually twice or more prior to installation.

Windows 10 is perfect, faster. I believed what I have read about it and I agree, the upgrade works and it is superior to Windows 8.

I had read that auto updates could not be disabled and am delighted that does not seem to be the case, it's just as before. Highly recommend.
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Great result Jeff :-)

I'm still enjoying trouble-free times here (although that's probably tempting fate!). The only snag that persists is that often on exit I still get the 'Vegas has stopped working' message. Of course I've saved my work already, but it loses the recently used files list and any other UI changes. Not a big deal but annoying. I had this with Windows 8 as well so it's not a new issue to me since the upgrade.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #55
Inner Circle

I have had to go back to Windows 7 on my main box, on which I am running an Nvidia 9800 GT card. My laptop handles Vegasl and Windows 10 perfectly, my main box does not render. I tried doing a clean install of Vegas on Windows 10 in that box, but then, it would freeze at start up. I tried a couple of the fixes recommended for that freeze condition, but I was not successful.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Bummer, Chris.
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #57
Trustee

so, having imaged / backed-up my win 7 installation i installed 10.

a. install went as smoothly as it did on my other 4 pc / laptops. (all of which are working very well - much snappier and overall noticeably quicker. (some have a combination of: vegas / ppr / cs6 / cs5.5 / resovle / catalyst / etc on them). no problems with any software (so far).

b. install went as smoothly as above on my main nle pc (as in specs). HOWEVER: cs5.5 progs crashed, cs6 ps wanted to register as did ae, and though vegas fired up, my genarts plugins lost their licence.

c. i played a little and checked that the following worked ok (they did) - intensity pro, catalyst, resolve, sf 10, interestingly enough cs6 ppro and media encoder worked.

frankly i don't have the patience or interest in sorting out licensing or why these problems occurred. suffice to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-( hence, back to 7.

i still maintain that 10 is an improvement over 7, and would happily install it on any pc NOT running more esoteric software than usually found.
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 (build 453) and Windows 10

I installed Windows 10 a month ago. No issues existing apps.

I did a recording today and found that Vegas Pro 13 will not start up, no problem with Vegas 12 (good job I kept this otherwise I would be unable to complete my project).

When I try to load Vegas Pro 13 it hangs up at the stage where it says "Creating Windows"

Has anyone tried Vegas Pro 13 under Windows 10?
Karl Walter Keirstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #59
Trustee

what vid setup / card are you using?
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 (build 453) and Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Walter Keirstead View Post
I installed Windows 10 a month ago. No issues existing apps.

I did a recording today and found that Vegas Pro 13 will not start up, no problem with Vegas 12 (good job I kept this otherwise I would be unable to complete my project).

When I try to load Vegas Pro 13 it hangs up at the stage where it says "Creating Windows"

Has anyone tried Vegas Pro 13 under Windows 10?
Yes it's working fine under windows 10 and in addition I can use GPU acceleration without crashing as it did under windows 7.
Andy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...