DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sony Vegas and Windows 10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/529120-sony-vegas-windows-10-a.html)

Chris Harding July 17th, 2015 06:19 AM

Sony Vegas and Windows 10

For PC users that are running one or more versions of Vegas on their computers with Win 7 or 8 I see that Win 10 is being offered by Microsoft as a free upgrade when it's released this month.

Does anyone know how this will affect current software? I really don't want to have to wipe my drive clean and have to re-install everything for a new operating system .. Is this just an "upgrade" that will replace the current Win 7 or 8 system with the new Win 10 system??? We all love freebies BUT I don't want to have to start from scratch!!!

Leslie Wand July 17th, 2015 06:32 AM

Re: Sony Vegas and Windows 10

interesting question....

all my pc's are eligible for 10, not that i'd even dream of upgrading my nle till i've read how it goes for others (no intention of bleeding to death on the cutting edge), but i thought i might do an old laptop i use for general office work. however, forget even that if it requires a clean install. i have better things to do with my time ;-)

Chris Harding July 17th, 2015 08:26 AM

Thanks Leslie

I think I'll wait too and see how many bugs they left in!! I cannot afford to have my main machine down due to an OS fault ... Let others try it first

Chris

Adam Stanislav July 17th, 2015 11:08 AM

I’m mostly concerned with device drivers. MS tends to change their device driver interface in various versions of Windows. For example my Canon Selphy (a photo printer) does not work with Windows 8 and I have to turn on a broken Vista machine to print photos because Canon has never released Windows 8 compatible drivers for it.

If I switched my computers to Windows 10, how many of the devices I use would be instantly turned into paper weights?

Chris Hewitt July 17th, 2015 02:36 PM

Hi Chris, you could image your current C drive before Windows 10 goes on. That way, you only need to put the image back on if you don't like 10.
That's what I'd do. I use Ghost and still use a floppy drive to do that. Wouldn't be without it.

Chris Harding July 17th, 2015 06:22 PM

Thanks Chris ... I think I'll stay Leslie's route and let others be the guinea pigs with the upgrade ...On all our machines the upgrade icon has been on the desktop for a while now but the official launch down under is supposed to be 29th July 2015

Are you still planning a trip to Australia???

Chris Hewitt July 17th, 2015 06:52 PM

Certainly am, Chris, I have a wedding booking for late September in King's Park and Two Rocks although I'm still in the UK right now. The flight is the killer though.
Looking forward to catching up for a chat if that's ok?

Chris Harding July 17th, 2015 08:27 PM

Hey Chris

Brilliant ! Nothing like booking weddings from the other side of the world! Let me know when you are leaving and I'll PM you my contact details and mobile/home phone number so we can catch up!

Jo Ouwejan July 18th, 2015 08:30 AM

How disappointing.
Some 3 weeks ago I bought myself an new pc with Win 8.1, Sony Vegas Pro 13 and DVDA ver 6.
Now I also knew, that MS was feasting us on a free Win 10 and I thought, let others do the experiment and then I will decide to switch.
So I looked on here every day, as I found the highest amount of experts here, who certainly would be so serviceable to do the experiment.
Mwha . . .
OK, I will give you guys another 2 weeks after MS releases Win10.

Leslie Wand July 18th, 2015 06:15 PM

i would prefer at least 2 months of vegas users using it before i'd even consider installing it as an os for my nle system.

that said, i might stick it on an old laptop as i've said just out of curiosity

Chris Harding July 18th, 2015 07:09 PM

Well in 2 months time I'm right in the thick of the wedding season and there is no way I will have my main edit machine failing in my busiest time so if I do it its gonna be a long longer than 2 months!!

Leslie Wand July 18th, 2015 07:36 PM

in your situation i would keep going with what you know works. to be honest i don't think (let alone know) whether 10 is going to do anything under the bonnet that's going to make a VAST difference anyway, AND there's always the possibility that it might well work in adverse ways, especially with peripheral drivers, etc.,

as i wrote, it'll be a while till i'm willing to try it on my editing rig - yeah, i know i can image, etc., but i'm too old to be wasting my time playing (or perhaps beta testing) an unknown os. i did the same for vista and never once regretted not installing it ANYWHERE. same holds partially true for 8 and 8.1 - put them on both my office and wife's laptops. it lasted about a month on my laptop, my wife adapted to it a lot more easily since she's been using tablets since they first came out. however, she's often said she prefers working on her desktop with 7 rather than the laptop. if it had a touch screen it might be another story ;-)

as i've often written - the problem with being on the cutting edge is you can easily bleed to death....

Chris Hewitt July 19th, 2015 03:43 AM

Will do, Chris.
Regarding Windows versions, I was disappointed to be forced to leave XP 64 as it was so stable. Win 7 is not bad in classic mode but Vista was a nightmare by all accounts. I never installed it and feel the same about Win 8. My wife has 8.1 on her laptop and it wants to control everything. Some people seem to like all the bells and whistles. I don't even have internet, anti virus or anything unecessary on my edit pc or let stuff run in the background that doesn't need to.

Mark Rosenzweig July 19th, 2015 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt (Post 1892829)
Will do, Chris.
Regarding Windows versions, I was disappointed to be forced to leave XP 64 as it was so stable. Win 7 is not bad in classic mode but Vista was a nightmare by all accounts. I never installed it and feel the same about Win 8. My wife has 8.1 on her laptop and it wants to control everything. Some people seem to like all the bells and whistles. I don't even have internet, anti virus or anything unecessary on my edit pc or let stuff run in the background that doesn't need to.

Vista was terrible. Windows 8.1 is fine in terms of stability and being solid; and you can ignore the "bells and whistles" (which I do). This is based on my own extensive experience with Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 on multiple computers. I don't get how you can comment on it given you "never installed it."

Dave Blackhurst July 19th, 2015 02:42 PM

A couple thoughts...

W10 will be free for "at least" the first year after release, you've got time...

Drivers are ALWAYS an issue - old hardware that becomes "unsupported" is the same as old software that is updated or replaced, or just dies from natural causes... sometimes you just have to upgrade your peripherals.

No doubt there will be plenty of people jumping on 10 when it's officially released, so you should get plenty of "samples" not long thereafter. No harm in waiting.

I'll probably pick a lesser used machine to start with (and yep, running a backup image on a spare HDD is not a big thing, so that will happen too), and eventually upgrade the "fleet" of computers, testing functionality as I go - and no doubt there will be software updates coming out for some of the programs and such, that's just life with computers of any sort...

Chris Hewitt July 19th, 2015 05:57 PM

Mark, I never installed it on my edit PC...is what I meant. We have several dedicated PCs here and with my brother's business using various platforms and it's just my personal preference. Is that ok?

Gerald Webb August 1st, 2015 04:34 PM

I did it. Had my C drive cloned so no risk.
I did it the worst way possible, ran the iso from my desktop and chose upgrade and keep all files and apps.
More experiment than a serious go at it.

As expected, Vegas went mutant, it froze and had to end task 3 times before it would open. Reinstalled and got to the UI but it still seemed laggy. Was even a problem to get it uninstalled, Add Remove programs has a new look and kept hanging/not responding.
Adobe apps were fine.

After about 3 hrs of problem solving, I restored my 8.1
If upgrading, do a clean install for sure.
Cant see a reason to upgrade though unless the benchmarks show improved performance in Vegas or other apps you use.

Chris Harding August 1st, 2015 06:06 PM

Thanks Gerald ..Glad you were the beta tester and not me! I think maybe install on a spare machine but that's about as far as I will go ..Let them debug the software first otherwise we might have a hige backlog of work and a dead computer! Not a good idea

I'll stay with 7 Professional for the moment !!

Mark Rosenzweig August 1st, 2015 07:20 PM

I have personally been involved in upgrading to Windows 10 on six Windows 8.1 machines, from desktops to laptops to tablets and 2-in-1's. None encountered any problems. It's a faster, leaner (takes up less space) operating system. It natively works now with H265 video, btw (thumbnails from h265 clips and the built-in video player plays h265 clips too). And, oh, yes, Sony Vegas Pro works fine (loads faster). No disc cloning on any.

Leslie Wand August 1st, 2015 07:42 PM

seem to have lost who posts messages in the header?

anyway, in response to last post:

you say 'no cloning'. are / were these installs clean or updates then?

Mark Rosenzweig August 1st, 2015 08:12 PM

Updates, the way it is supposed to work. My own files are backed up; that is what is valuable. Anyway, I am not promoting anything just providing info.

Gerald Webb August 1st, 2015 11:22 PM

Thats interesting.
My pc was in no way usable after upgrading. I put it down to not being a clean install.
Will try a clean install and see if any better....

Brian Berg August 6th, 2015 11:51 AM

I installed it over Windows 7 and have seen a couple bugs, but nothing that was much of a problem. Vegas 13 did a whole screen flash a few times, like a white flash transition. It did it during one editing session and hasn't happened since. It's been running fine since.

I have Office 2010 32bit on the machine and I have a small issue with Windows switching my tabs from Home to File after every edit. I also installed 10 on 6 other machines and have had no issues at all.
I did update my Firefox to 40.0 Beta which seems to have fixed a small CPU usage issue.

I've already downloaded and installed the first batch of 10 updates too.
Overall, I like it a lot and don't see a reason to roll back to 7 anytime soon.

God mode is very handy for changing settings. You may want to use that.
Unlock Windows 10's hidden, powerful GodMode tool | PCWorld

David Wayne Groves August 8th, 2015 10:58 AM

Did the upgrade(Not a clean install) from 8.1 pro to 10pro and Vegas is working fine for me ..
Just completed a small project and no issues thus far..

Andy Smith August 9th, 2015 10:28 AM

Well I'v just wasted two days in trying to get the windows 10 upgrade from 7 to complete without success.
Error no1 system reserved space too small as win 7 100MB and 10 needs more. Solution is to use a third party partition manager in increase the size. What a pain.

Error no2 system service exception igdkmd64.sys this relates to Intel HD4000 graphics driver (took ages to find this out. 10 rolls back to 7

Error no3 Still no luck as migrate data error stops the upgrade with 10 rolling back to 7.

Stay with 7 I think, at least for now.

Robin Davies-Rollinson August 9th, 2015 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear that.
I've just upgraded from WIN 7 with no problems - apart from first attempt aborting because I still had some external drives connected, as well as not de-activating anti-virus software. After that, everything went like a dream.
Vegas Pro 13 as well as Hitfilm 3 Pro all behaving well...

Dave Blackhurst August 9th, 2015 03:11 PM

Hmmm, seems a bit hit and miss...

I tossed 10 onto a little laptop I'm selling anyway, and it went fast and clean, and the W10 interface actually felt quite comfortable and usable, right off the USB stick.

I have a schedule of machines to be upgraded, with my current main machine the last on the list, so in a few days I might get to a machine with Vegas on it!

I will say that for the most part it seems like people upgrading relatively current machines are having few problems (seen that partition one reported elsewhere), and the little laptop I did was already fast with 8.1, and felt even more responsive with 10.

I have a few odd bits of hardware that never got driver updates after XP, I hope I don't "lose" any with the W10 update, but I have a funny feeling that there may be a couple obscure things that will stop working...

Bryan Quarrie August 10th, 2015 02:49 AM

I've recently upgraded both my laptop (Acer 5755G, 3 years old) and my old 8 year old desktop machine with W10 and they both ran fine without a clean install.
I had to reinstall some minor drivers like printer, usb mouse etc, but it was a nearly painless transition.

With regards to Vegas Pro 13 (on desktop machine) I had to reinstall it, but not the 3rd party plug ins I've got (mainly Newbluefx plugins and Neat). First thing that was immediately apparent was that prior to W10 I couldn't use GPU acceleration with Neat (I've got version 4, GPU is AMD R290x), but on W10 I can ☺. Neat used to crash Vegas when trying to do so. What a pleasant surprise!

I don't think that I'll ever return to 7. It took a while for me to adjust, but now it feels more stable than 7.

Brian Berg August 13th, 2015 12:16 PM

<I don't think that I'll ever return to 7. It took a while for me to adjust, but now it feels more stable than 7. >

Same here. I like how configurable it is. I don't see a need for 7. It already feels like XP did when I switched to 7 years ago. I have'nt had hardly any issues at all. Firefox ran weird, but now they're up to version 41 and that seems fine now too.

Alex Harper August 13th, 2015 05:14 PM

I upgraded to W10, there was a few minor issues from the upgrade on my 3 year old install of W7 so I did a clean install a few days after my upgrade & it's been rock solid since, everything is running 100%. I'm loving W10 & couldn't go back to W7, MS nailed it with W10.

Jeff Harper August 14th, 2015 10:24 AM

I've never had issues with Windows 8 even from the early beta releases, and I feel that Windows 10 will be trouble free much in the same in that way. 10 is clearly a great OS but there will still be people who try to make it work with outdated hardware and that will be the majority of the problem children we will see posting, or those that did not do a clean install. And they'll be crying and complaining, as usual. But I'm glad to see so many here already having good luck with it.

Leslie Wand August 14th, 2015 05:53 PM

my laptop keeps reminding me to update which i simply dismiss every morning.

quite frankly i really don't have the time or the patience to do a clean install - it'd take the best part of a day reloading software, re registering, etc, etc., etc., that equates to over $500 of my time.

i'll eventually give it a whirl on the laptop (having a backup of course), and if that goes well i'll try a coupe of other pc's before i do my nle - but as simple upgrades, not clean installs.

i've got to the point where i feel that unless there's a significant advantage to ANYTHING new, the waste of time, energy and worry just isn't worth it anymore - i'd prefer to spend that time in something more productive, such as sleeping ;-)

Chris Harding August 14th, 2015 06:11 PM

Right on Leslie!

My PC bugs me in the morning too!! I simply don't change my OS midstream and also until all the bugs are ironed out. I can imagine the chaos of being down for a week ! Now I see in the audio forum that Win10 is corrupting WAV files??

Adam Stanislav August 14th, 2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1895163)
my laptop keeps reminding me to update which i simply dismiss every morning.

Mine did that, too, until I got fed up with the popups, so the next time it appeared, I went to the task manager and found which executable was doing the popping up. I dismissed the message, then deleted the executable and it has never popped up since. :)

Leslie Wand August 15th, 2015 01:58 AM

adam, care to share that info ;-)

btw. this from over at scs:

Sounds like Windows 10 is having other issues too:

http://www.sounddevices.com/news/sou...echnical-alert

"
Sound Devices Technical Alert

We have confirmed user reports of a serious issue with Windows 10 and removable media formatted as FAT32. Users are experiencing corruption of .wav media files by simply inserting FAT32 formatted SD or CF cards into a Windows 10 computer. Files do not need to be opened or accessed in order for them to become corrupt.

We wish to emphasize that this problem exists with .wav files regardless of whether they were recorded on Sound Devices equipment or not. We strongly recommend not using Windows 10 with your Sound Devices created audio files.

This problem has been reported to Microsoft who will have to issue any fix, update, or further information on the behavior of Windows 10. If we learn of any new information we will share it at the earliest. Thank you for your continued support!"

Adam Stanislav August 15th, 2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1895182)
adam, care to share that info ;-)

But I did. :)

I don’t remember the name of that executable anymore. I just remember what I did. When it popped up, I pressed the Windows key and the letter X, then the letter T. That got me to the task manager (that is in Windows 8.1, in previous versions I would have pressed ctl-alt-del and picked the task manager from the options that would have appeared).

I looked through the list of tasks and noticed one whose name I no longer remember, but the name was fairly obvious as being the one asking me to reserve the update to Windows 10. I opened the folder with that executable (I should add I am using Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com as a replacement for my task manager, which makes handling the tasks much easier). I then deleted the task from the Process Explorer and the popup disappeared. Then I double-clicked on the executable to make sure I had the correct executable. The popup re-appeared.

I then killed the task again, and deleted the executable. It is possible I renamed the executable to something else at first, just to make sure deleting it would not mess up the system, then rebooted, and only when everything worked smoothly without the executable running. It did, so I finally deleted the renamed file, and everything has been working ever since, just without the annoying popup.

I have no intention to update to Windows 10 because in my experience each major release of Windows tends to have problems with third-party device drivers written for the previous version of Windows. For example, my printer would not work with Windows 8, only with prior versions and the manufacturer does not provide new drivers. I had to buy a new printer just to be able to print from Windows 8(.1), and I do not want to have to buy yet another printer for Windows 10.

Also, I have had heart problems and have to monitor my blood pressure with an external BP monitor which its manufacturer does not make anymore, and there are no newer drivers for it. I am not willing to get a “free” update to Windows just to be forced to spend hundreds of dollars to buy new hardware for everything I do.

Adam

James Manford August 15th, 2015 03:47 PM

I'll eventually upgrade. A few years later.

Jo Ouwejan August 16th, 2015 02:44 AM

The exe is called GWXUX.exe

Alex Harper August 17th, 2015 03:19 PM

By the way if you're not sure & simply want to test W10 it is possible to downgrade & restore back to W7 if you're not happy with the W10 upgrade.

Andy Smith August 20th, 2015 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Smith (Post 1894661)
Well I'v just wasted two days in trying to get the windows 10 upgrade from 7 to complete without success.
Error no1 system reserved space too small as win 7 100MB and 10 needs more. Solution is to use a third party partition manager in increase the size. What a pain.

Error no2 system service exception igdkmd64.sys this relates to Intel HD4000 graphics driver (took ages to find this out. 10 rolls back to 7

Error no3 Still no luck as migrate data error stops the upgrade with 10 rolling back to 7.

Stay with 7 I think, at least for now.

I thought I would update you on this.

I now have Windows 10 running and producing video with Vegas 13.

Note: I used an ISO image of Windows 10 burnt to a DVD to upgrade as this saves hours of re-download if a system error stops the upgrade.

These were the issues I had to solve to do it on my PC running windows 7

1). Resize the reserved system area on the SSD (used a free partition utility)
2). Uninstall/remove the intel HD4000 graphics driver igdkmd64.sys
3). Change the security permissions on the SSD to full control for all users (not just system). Error system exception not handled fixed as a result.
4). Windows 10 did not like Kaspersky and froze when looking for an update, on reboot just kept rebooting. The only way out was to do a windows refresh/repair which deleted all my apps. Roll back to win 7 not possible via recovery panel after this.
5) From windows.old directory (windows 7 roll back directory) I was able to recover all my e-mails and settings for most of the uninstalled apps).

So quite a frustrating process that certainly did not go smoothly. I am currently getting used to Windows 10 and re installing many of my previous apps. I did find the Vegas settings, scrips, templates from windows.old to copy over to the new install. Win 10 seems faster and I guess most will probably eventually end up migrating eventually.

I hope this may be helpful to anyone else having similar errors when trying to upgrade.