Resolve 12. Whats the catch? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 1st, 2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Trustee

Resolve 12. Whats the catch?

Watch this-
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/...davinciresolve
The "Whats New" tab.

They are saying this is free!
Are they trying to break the NLE market? Or is it free for a time while in Beta, then becomes a paid version?
Im downloading now to give it a spin.
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Resolve 12. Whats the catch?

It's currently not that useful as a straight-up NLE, but instead color finishing software with robust NLE elements.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Resolve owns the color grading market. They have been adding editing features in subsequent versions so it looks like they want to move to the edit front end of the process.

At the high end of the market, where Davinci makes their money, editors only cut the film. They never grade, add effects, motion graphics or anything one does in an all encompasing NLE. What they need are media management, and basic multi track and mult-cam edit tools. This is what it seems Davinci is adding to Resolve.

I don't think they care about the all encompasing NLE market. The free version does not timeout. They have had free versions for a while now.
Norman Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks like the same distinction they've had for a while - the "lite" version which is pretty fully featured is free, the full version is fee. I got a dongle when I bought the BMCC and it has worked with the full version upgrades so far -I suspect it will probably work with 12 full version as well.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #5
Trustee

Been playing with it for a cpl of hours.
It is very similar to FCX, may even be on the verge of too similar, legally.......
Seems promising, it will be good to see some tutorials on basic workflows etc.
Once you get into the Colour workspace it is amazing, as would be expected.
Playback on my laptop is horrible, way worse than Vegas and FCX, but you can create proxies.
Will have to check if it will import a complex Vegas project. To be able to edit in Vegas and CC/grade in Resolve would be pretty special.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...