DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Audio Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/529485-audio-question.html)

George Palmier August 24th, 2015 01:06 PM

Audio Question

I don't know if this is inevitable or if there is a way to prevent it from happening. I have 2 audio tracks on top of each other. Each track peaks at a max of -4db. However if I play both of them at the same time the level of the master audio peaks very high, even around +3db!! Do I have to lower the level of each track until the master is good or is there a way to make this happen automatically? Thanks for any ideas

Seth Bloombaum August 24th, 2015 01:30 PM

Re: Audio Question

It is inevitable, normal, and desirable under most circumstances..

The quickest fix is to lower the master volume by 3 or 4 db, or more, depending on how you're mastering or distributing.

There are many other methods at the track or event level, not to mention various filters and media settings, but if you've got overall program peaks at +3db, the one-step fix is to grab the master volume.

George Palmier August 24th, 2015 01:57 PM

Thanks for your reply. I just go for the master then.

Brian Berg August 25th, 2015 11:04 AM

Put a compressor or a limiter on your audio master track.
Sometimes I'll put a soft compressor on each audio track to level them out a bit, but then but a stiffer compressor on the master track.

www.sublime-lighting.com

Don Bloom August 25th, 2015 11:34 AM

In the Track Header go to the Pan slider...right click on that and there is a drop down menu that will allow adjustment to that track. It starts with ADD which is the default. You can adjust each track individually to ADD which mean what ever levels each tack is they will Add to the levels, like addition in simple math. There is also BALANCE and there are 3 different levels there. 0, -3 and -6 which will lower that track to that level. There are 2 other levels available which are Constant Power and Film and to be quite honest, I have never used those even though I've been using Vegas since V.2...
These additional settings give you great control over the audio along with the compressor settings among other things. This is what makes Vegas a great NLE. It can all be done in one program.

Now that I stuck my nose in here...I'm going back to the couch. The Little League World Series is on! ;-)

Juris Lielpeteris August 26th, 2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1896069)
There are 2 other levels available which are Constant Power and Film and to be quite honest, I have never used those even though I've been using Vegas since V.2...

Constant Power and Film is designed for use with 5.1 sound.

Danny Fye August 27th, 2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Palmier (Post 1895967)
Do I have to lower the level of each track until the master is good or is there a way to make this happen automatically? Thanks for any ideas

Vegas is acting as a software mixer. The two tracks are being mixed together and are then sent to the master audio bus. The mixing of the tracks causes the net levels to be increased. So yes, you do need to lower the levels of each track by equal amounts to offset the increase.

If the audios of the tracks are in phase then the net audio to the master bus will be increased.

If the audios of the tracks are not in phase then the net audio to the master bus will be decreased.

Assuming they are mixed at similar levels, how much increase depends on how much in phase the audio of the tracks are. How much decrease depends on how much out of phase they are.

The above explanation is a bit simplified. Just reduce the levels of each track by equal amounts and then the total levels on the master bus will be what you desire it to be.

By using Vegas as an audio mixer, one can get very fancy on how they can mix different audio tracks. It is a lot like a 'super' digital mixer. The problem is and it is sad to say, most Vegas users do not have a clue as to how to use it.

There really needs to be an advanced course on this. Too many tutorials and courses are for beginners and those who are just getting started. Vegas is starving for advanced courses and tutorials!!!