Mp4 and media playback, Vegas 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 15th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Mp4 and media playback, Vegas 13

So I'm looking to move to a usb delivery for my projects. And I use my studio Samsung TV as a guinea pig for testing media since it will play from a usb. Well, I ran into a bit of an issue with my TV, choppy play. So I looked in the manual http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0-ENG-0807.pdf and on page two, it reads that my TV doesn't support the AVCHD (1920x1080) format. So I tried other MP4 formats and they didn't work either. I also tried the XDCAM EX mp4, and the picture was fine but the audio sounded like a hurricane.

I'm pretty sure it's something with the codec, so I took my XDCAM mp4 render and re-rendered the mp4 using Wondershares media encoder and it worked.

What I can't understand is what if any mp4 settings I can export out of Vegas for my TV, certainly I don't want clients to have this problem.

I called Samsung and I'm afraid their support knew less than I did.
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Mp4 and media playback, Vegas 13

i usually deliver .mp4 for distrib on usb stick's etc - BUT, i usually render my tl to a 'master' .mxf and then run that through handbrake. never had a problem in more than 5yrs.
Old December 16th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I send the client a 60 second clip to make sure it runs on their tv before rendering and supplying the whole thing. I can then find the codec that is right for them. I started doing that after running off 16 copies of a wedding on USB for one couple, all of which ran fine on their Sony tv. They came back a few days later to tell me that several of their friends were having problems with other makes of tv, varying from stuttering, to no audio, to not playing it at all.

It seems that some manufacturers TVs have different codec requirements to others, so yet another difficulty to overcome as we move on from DVD. :-(

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well crap. I'm glad I started this thread then. I can say that the Wondershare program fixed my video, I'm wondering if a piece of software like that pays more attention to devices since it has presets for devices. You might give it a try and see if it helps you.
Old December 16th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Might be worth a try, problem is though you won't know how effective it is until you have tried the output on various different TVs.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm still trying to decifer why some videos work on my Samsung and some don't. For instance, I rendered three videos, two played and the third gave me nothing but hiss on my audio.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6s937jpfh...51145.mp4?dl=0

So I looked 'right clicked' the videos, and the one that was having problems showed no details in windows, so I converted it using wondershare, and now it works fine.

I'm rendering in Vegas HQ 1920x1080-60i 35 progressive since my Samsung TV can't handle AVCHD.

It's almost like I have to render a video, run to my tv and see if it works. I'm not sure why two out of three renders would work out of vegas.
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Originally I thought my problem was that I was re-rendering an mp4, but I've duplicated the 'hiss' audio issue twice now rendering straight off the timeline in Vegas. I've double checked the project settings and they are the same, same cameras, same mxf file type.

The million variables in this business are like Minions on crack.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...