Render time AVI vs ProRes 422HQ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 28th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Render time AVI vs ProRes 422HQ

I do a lot of stage event video work where I have to produce DVD's on-site. Render time is critical in order for me to keep up with the schedule of 20 minute shows back to back to back all day long. Currently my standard def system creates an AVI file which I put into Vegas - quickly trim the beginning and end - then render to mpeg 2 and Dolby AC3. From there I produce a disc IMAGE in DVD Architect. Then I produce DVD's using PTPublisher software and a Primera robotic DVD burner. I shoot in older standard definition but I am looking into modernizing my equipment. Even with new HD and/or 4K gear, I'll still be producing standard def DVD's.

The recorder I'm looking at is the BlackMagic HyperDeck Studio 2 which records in ProRes 422(HQ), Avid DNxHD and Avid DNxHD MXF. I'm wondering with respect to my need, which format is going to work best in Vegas 10? And I also am wondering if my render times will be substantially longer?

Thank you.
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Render time AVI vs ProRes 422HQ

I don't believe source format is going to be a big deal from my experience. What will effect render times more is going from HD to SD, versus SD to SD. HD to SD takes longer due to the downscaling, and that would be my first point of concern in the new workflow.

EDIT: I should add I don't use Vegas, but with Adobe Premiere/Media Encoder it does take longer to go HD to DVD versus SD to DVD, and I'd expect that to be the same with any NLE due to downscaling required.

Thanks
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I don't have anything that records to Apple ProRes at the moment but I do have a M 4/3 camera I use for weddings that records in "MOV" 50Mbps. If I put this in my Vegas timeline and rendered to standard def MPEG 2, would this give a close approximation of render times for my new proposed BlackMagic setup?
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Geoffrey, I would assume that answer would be no. Different codecs have different compatibilities and slower/faster read rates. You ma not be able to read ProRes at all - or you may need to make sure the proper version of QuickTime is loaded. Reading through QuickTime is also slower. I would definitely test the two DNxHD options but would expect everything to be slower than DV-AVI.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Major Player

What Ed said. Your camera most likely records H.264 in an .mov wrapper, which is going to be different from ProRes and DNxHD, as .mov is just a wrapper, and the CODEC inside the wrapper dictates how it performs.

The only way to truly test render times from ProRes to MPEG-2 DVD would be to get some sample ProRes footage and try it. But in any case, is going to take longer than DV to DVD.

Thanks
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Trustee

I'm just done a heap of concerts in FCX and have heaps of Prores 422 1080p files laying around atm, if you want me to run some bench marks more than happy to. Just let me know the specs of your machine.

FWIW, prob won't be a problem when coming straight from camera to Vegas, but my prores files from Final Cut have a mean gamma shift when opened on Windows, same file opened from server on different platforms looks totally different. I would imagine this is due to the nle encoding rather than the prores codec though.
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
...my prores files from Final Cut have a mean gamma shift when opened on Windows, same file opened from server on different platforms looks totally different. I would imagine this is due to the nle encoding rather than the prores codec though.
This is correctable of course.

So far as I know, it's the quirky Quicktime for Windows that produces different gamma on Mac vs. Windows depending on the codec. Vegas depends on QT for this decode...
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Trustee

Yes Seth, correctable and fine if you only have to do it once.
Was a hassle for me though to edit in Final Cut and wanted to downsize in TMPGenc....
Still, wont affect the OP hopefully.
Amazing all these years later that the powers that be haven't sorted it out though

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...