Is it true that Vegas is DEAD? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 27th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: Is it true that Vegas is DEAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I did see the name Edius again in this thread which had me looking at it for the umpteenth time, but when I remember the lack of plug ins, and how I love Ultimate S and the multicam feature it offers, and the ease with which I can use Plural Eyes to sync my audio almost instantly, I forget about Edius and go back to editing.
Ha? Have you seen this?

http://www.grassvalley.com/assets/me..._CompGuide.pdf

How about most VST plugins working just fine in Edius?
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #107
Inner Circle

Ervin, I am not seeing any mention of VASST plugins, if that is what you mean by VST. If I'm mistaken let me know.

Also see nothing about Plural Eyes, which I cannot even imagine living without.
Old May 27th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #108
Inner Circle

The multicam in EDIUS is the best. I edit mainly in EDIUS because of the multicam feature do all my audio in Vegas/Sound Forge though.
No Plural eyes in EDIUS 8 but is for EDIUS 7 I think . Don't use it though as all my multicam is cameras started and stopped at the same time for the complete show. So sync is easy.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #109
Inner Circle

Good to know about the multicam feature, Ron, thank you!
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #110
Inner Circle

Sorry to be the first to post this - you guys can kiss Vegas good bye:

https://www.cinema5d.com/magix-has-acquired-sony-vegas/
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:26 AM   #111
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Sorry to say, but you should have come here more frequently. If you had done that during the last few weeks, you would have noticed, that the future of Veas cs is quite bright in the lap of Magix.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #112
Inner Circle

Quote:

If you read all the posts on this issue you would have seen Mike's comments in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...s-video-2.html

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #113
Inner Circle

Quote:

Like others, I am seeing a potentially exciting new lease of life for Vegas. Even in this article I could find nothing that spoke of the demise of Vegas. What aspect of the report suggests we can kiss it goodbye?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 03:38 AM   #114
Regular Crew

I just hope that magix also keeps updating codec support. It would be nice to have support for additional codecs like the codec from the canon c300mkii and not cutting down on some.
Jurgen Bauwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #115
Inner Circle

Magix had (or I presume still has, it's been a while since I used their products) their own capable editing programs(I had compatibility problems with the disks created, keep in mind this was a LONG time ago, but that was why I looked for another option.... Vegas).

There are several options for the "new" company - integrate their products with Vegas offerings, continue to offer side by side extensions of existing products, and eventually merge them, or perhaps release some amazing new product that will blow away users of both product lines and give an upgrade path...

I've seen software company buyouts many times before, they don't usually turn out that well (like a company buys a competing product to "kill" it off in favor of it's own product, and any "different" products in other niches die off quickly in the process). Sometimes the companies buy the product for a few key features and technology, and again, the product phases out... And sometimes a company continues development and new releases under the new flag....

We shall just have to see, but a free download of Resolve is looking better and better right now.... I do recall Magix offerings were quite reasonably priced or free after rebate... so I'll stay tuned...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #116
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post

I've seen software company buyouts many times before, they don't usually turn out that well

(like a company buys a competing product to "kill" it off in favor of it's own product, and any "different" products in other niches die off quickly in the process). Sometimes the companies buy the product for a few key features and technology, and again, the product phases out... And sometimes a company continues development and new releases under the new flag.....
I likened it to an old car any major repairs are not worth it. You just make small fixes until you can no longer drive it. A small company like Magix doesn't have the resources to either over haul or rebuild it from the ground up. I'm sure it's a tricky to modify old code someone else wrote without breaking it.

I'm can't understand why is everyone is making such a big fuss? If you like Vegas and it does what you need you'll be ok until it doesn't. No point hand wringing about the future.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #117
Inner Circle

When Editshare acquired Lightworks in 2009 it was one of the products produced by Gee Broadcasting, I suspect to them it was something which didn't quite fit in with their media management and storage products. However, they started a process of developing a product which was one of the first two NLEs. It had become a niche editor used mostly by feature film or long form documentary film editors, but now has 3 million users registered (Although, I'd quailify that by saying you need to register in order to try it).

How that breaks down Free v Pro v longer term useage I don't know, but during that period it has increased its presence in the NLE market from something that you had to be really in the know, to have heard about to a product that my local computer repair shop knows about.

They did a rewriting of the code, so it can now run on three operating systems and have promoted it into the education markets. So, I guess each software ownership change will have it's own reasons and needs to be taken on a case by case basis
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #118
Major Player

I'm curious to see where they make changes. I'd like to see improvement in the areas of render times, titles and better HDV/HD/UHD down scaling when rendering for DVD.

If they want to try to increase sales right off the bat, then hopefully they'll just spend some money on marketing instead of giving the UI a make-over. It may look dated, but for me it's fine. I care more about what's under the hood.

Time will tell. At least they brought the Sony software developers on-board, so that's a good sign.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #119
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
A small company like Magix
... whose 20 or so domestic and international subsidiaries have only a few thousand employees and with only 15 million registered users of its software ......
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...