Is it true that Vegas is DEAD? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:42 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Is it true that Vegas is DEAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Native 64bit ProRes I/O and DNxHD (container independent) I/O would maybe skyrocket them past any other Windows NLE at this point.

It's asking a lot for ProRes but not too much for DNxHD and DNxHR.
Wouldn't it be something if SCS pulled in ProRes without QT! I have to agree with Jack, though, Apple has shown little interest in the windows side of ProRes, with their EOL of QT for windows it's hard to imagine them opening ProRes to an SCS decoder. Wouldn't it be a nice surprise, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Oh I can Leslie: Division or corporate lethargy, coupled with diminishing individual career opportunities is the only reason I can see or think for the prolonged silence...
Oh, I don't know. Corporate silos are the same all over. I could easily imagine someone in charge saying "We don't announce until we release, that's always been our policy..." I tend to accept this sort of thing as business-as-usual, though I agree with Grazie's and others' comments that it is destructive of Sony's relationships with a once-loyal group of users. AVID was famously siloed, even when they were the dominant NLE. How about the Apple silo, that caused the massive professional abandonment of the platform when FCPX came along.

But, Apple may get the last laugh, as up-and-coming editors who weren't around for the FCP7 to X debacle embrace the new NLE GUI, which has continued to improve.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think Sony is especially nefarious or unappreciative of their users. It's the same all over, much as we would wish it were otherwise.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:31 AM   #77
Inner Circle

Editshare, which has a strong forum community with Lightworks, doesn't let too much out in advance about release timing or new features. The time between releases has varied a bit, especially when the cross platform builds were coming out However, they do have a long beta testing stage that allows users to communticate directly with developers.

RED, in the early days was an example of going too far the otherway, with time slips etc, but now hold things very close to their chest. This seems to be case with all programs, although there is more of a rolling release process these days, rather than always waiting for NAB or IBC etc.

Could be Sony don't want to go big in marketing Vegas when they haven't anything new to release and want to keep their powder dry with new features or chamges in Vegas 14.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:53 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Corporate silos are the same all over. I could easily imagine someone in charge saying "We don't announce until we release, that's always been our policy..."

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think Sony is especially nefarious or unappreciative of their users. It's the same all over, much as we would wish it were otherwise.
My sentiments exactly.

I would not characterize the users jumping ship because Sony will not make an announcement yet about upcoming release as loyal users. If that is all it take for someone to switch products then they were not committed to it to begin with.

It's not about loyalty anyway, a product meets your needs or it does not. Vegas meets mine. I remember trying out a trial of Premier pro and the hoops I had to jump through to accomplish the simplest of things that were but one or two mouseclicks in Vegas.

Vegas meets my needs. I can edit multi-camera shoots of 4K on a computer that is 4 years old. It's not perfect but I am still very fond of Vegas and find it's simplicity for what I do a wonder.

Like most of us, I wish they would get under the hood and improve things. The way Edius handles HD and 4K footage without much effort makes me extremely jealous, but it is what it is.

At any rate, for now, I'm good.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; May 3rd, 2016 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:25 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Not to sound like a broken record, but there are many directions Sony could/should/have taken or take Vegas. When the great Fruit started over with FCPX, we all had to take steroid injections to keep from getting sick, but I agreed with their philosophy of designing software with the end user in mind, there for starting over. Granted FCPX in it's infancy was only good for dog videos or maybe skating videos, Apple had the right idea.

A real world example is; I recently rendered some videos into MP4s, I have four different tvs to test on and out of Vegas, it failed on 1. So I took that same video file and re-rendered using software that is specifically designed for a variety of end uses; ipod, ipads, phones etc. That fixed my issue. The difference is the conversion software stays current and relevant to what we need in end time delivery for today's market.

Is Vegas dead, I still say it is, or like I mentioned before, Sony keeps it just so they say they have software, kinda like having a treadmill in your house that you rarely pay attention to.
Old May 5th, 2016, 04:51 AM   #80
Regular Crew

No one seems to have reacted to Christopher Young's post ( No. 73 above):-

As you well know I posted some of the publicity shots for the New Vegas 14 release which got released to the dealers. Dealers also received pricing information for Vegas 14. From what I understand dealers were told to hold off just days before the release which I was informed was supposed to be April 5th from memory. In other words I still believe Vegas 14 will happen.

Re the unexpected delays. I am hearing similar stories and that the sudden holdup might have something to do with the QuickTime issue and having to go back into coding to enable support of .MOV files without having to rely on Apple's 32-bit QuickTime support. If that's the case I am more than happy to wait. Time will tell I guess!

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #81
Inner Circle

I missed it, thanks Richard. This is good news.

It's amazing how folks, armed with no concrete evidence, will go public with this kind of thing and start the rumour mill. If someone did this to my business, started rumours I was going out of business with no proof, I'd be pretty angry.
Old May 5th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #82
Inner Circle

Jeff et all, the biggest problem I see is the reluctance of SCS to tell us one way or the other about the future of Vegas :(
Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, there are a lot of users that, based on the rumours, have or are planning to switch to another NLE and that's a real problem as SCS is losing long term users.
If they would just come out and say tell us what's happening, that would be a huge plus to them.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #83
Major Player

A lot of messages about nothing.
What is the issue here? Vegas Pro is doing its job nicely for 99% of all users. Why not peacefully wait until the truth comes floating on the surface?
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #84
Inner Circle

A simple "the rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated" announcement would certainly be encouraging...

Both Vegas and the Alpha A mount are in this category. As a Sony user with a fair amount of "commitment" to both, it's rather frustrating, especially when the Cybershot division keeps spitting out newer better products!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #85
Major Player

Don't forget the way they killed off Cinescore.

Dave
Dave Baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Don't remind me, I paid full price for cinescore to find out one week later it would be discontinued and was sold at a fraction of the cost I paid for it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
the biggest problem I see is the reluctance of SCS to tell us one way or the other about the future of Vegas :(
Mike, I agree with you that, yes, it would be nice, but Sony has never behaved the way that many of us think they should. You and I have been around here long enough to know that they just don't, never have and probably never will. And you and I have both seen this uproar every cycle or two when things don't happen fast enough.

I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that few companies are very open when it comes to this sort of thing. Let's not forget how ungracefully Apple abandoned FCP and pretty much abandoned the professional market to focus on a more lucrative consumer market.

I just don't see the purpose behind the hand-wringing. Sony has always played their cards close to their vest.

If people are abandoning Vegas because news isn't coming fast enough I can only say fine, that's their choice. It never occurred to me that anything was wrong until I saw this thread, at which point I thought to myself "Here we go again!"

I guess I'm so jaded and have been in Vegas land enough years that the pattern of how this stuff plays out time after time is SO familiar and unchanging.
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #88
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan View Post
A lot of messages about nothing.
What is the issue here? Vegas Pro is doing its job nicely for 99% of all users. Why not peacefully wait until the truth comes floating on the surface?
Couldn't agree more! In truth, there have been a lot of very valid points made, but when speaking to the original intent of the post, yes, it's much ado about nothing to me also.

I did see the name Edius again in this thread which had me looking at it for the umpteenth time, but when I remember the lack of plug ins, and how I love Ultimate S and the multicam feature it offers, and the ease with which I can use Plural Eyes to sync my audio almost instantly, I forget about Edius and go back to editing.
Old May 14th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #89
Inner Circle

I also found something odd, the price of vegas pro 13 on the official sony website is 558 euro excl taxes, there is a reputable audio store in the Netherlands however selling the same version for 210 euro excl taxes. That's less then half the official price, maybe they know something we don't know yet? It's weird to find such large price differences on a NLE unless they are clearing stock.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #90
Inner Circle

Interestng, Noa!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...