DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Xiayomi Yi 2 footage can't be editing in Sony Vegas 12 !? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/532848-xiayomi-yi-2-footage-cant-editing-sony-vegas-12-a.html)

James Manford October 6th, 2016 04:43 PM

Xiayomi Yi 2 footage can't be editing in Sony Vegas 12 !?

HELP!

I filmed some of a wedding the other day with a new Xiayomi Yi 2 go pro style camera in 4K (beautiful footage) but I can't edit it in Sony vegas 12 as the camera does some high quality compressed encoding to keep the file sizes compact, sounds like it's too new for Vegas !?

I am easily able to edit 4K footage from many other cameras with zero lag (A6300, AX100).

The Xiayomi footage loads up in Vegas, I can see it in the preview window, but stutters and lags in both DRAFT and BEST PREVIEW SETTINGS and when I render a segment of it, the rendered file is a black screen.

Is there a fix for this !? please help me ...

Leslie Wand October 6th, 2016 05:38 PM

Re: Xiayomi Yi 2 footage can't be editing in Sony Vegas 12 !?

simply transcode to a suitable intermediary.

James Manford October 6th, 2016 05:43 PM

I'm coming across lots of fake websites selling transcoding software to solve this problem.

Surely that can't be the only option ? so I am filming in 4K having to transcode the footage and then editing the inferior footage in my NLE ? ... looks like i'll be using my xiayomi for emergency / shots that my other cams can't get only.

Seth Bloombaum October 6th, 2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1922090)
I'm coming across lots of fake websites selling transcoding software to solve this problem...

Yeah. This is a narrow slice of the market where there are many transcoders built on open source. Perhaps because of the low cost of entry, it's become an area where there is every kind of software for free or low cost, from excellent, state of the art, to slapdash GUIs, to malware front-ends.

Quote:

...so I am filming in 4K having to transcode the footage and then editing the inferior footage in my NLE ? ...
Not necessarily! Handbrake is a state-of-the-art freeware h.264 encoder that can often work as a transcoder, not just an encoder for distribution. If I recall, it uses the ffmpeg library, *very* versatile, to decode source footage. Maybe it will cover your XY cam's codec.

Open Source isn't for everyone. If you'd just prefer to pay a premium to get a commercial product, Sorenson Squeeze is top-notch.

James Manford October 6th, 2016 06:08 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions.

And Seth ... You sir are a genius.

Can't believe Handbrake transcodes the footage so well ... AND RETAINS THE 4K QUALITY.

Seth Bloombaum October 6th, 2016 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1922092)
Thank you so much for the suggestions.

And Seth ... You sir are a genius.

Can't believe Handbrake transcodes the footage so well ... AND RETAINS THE 4K QUALITY.

You're too kind. But thanks for the recognition, I give full credit to the many, many, many mistakes I've made. Learned from every one!

Glad this will work for your footage!

James Manford October 7th, 2016 01:44 AM

Well left my computer on last night batch converting all my Xiayomi files. I'm lost for words ... perfect! is all that comes to mind. The footage looks pretty much identical to me and i've saved a whopping 40GB storage space.

I'll hold on to the original Xiayomi files just until i've finished editing this project, just incase.

But it looks good.