DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video running slow in one event v14 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/533087-video-running-slow-one-event-v14.html)

Renton Maclachlan November 20th, 2016 01:04 AM

Video running slow in one event v14

I have just begun a new episode in my long running project, and as I have got Vegas 14, thought I would begin using it. Perhaps what I'm going to describe has nothing to do with it occurring in v14, though I don't recall ever having come across this before.

The episode is comprised of, among other tracks, three green screen multicam tracks. At this point I haven't activated the green screen removal so processing for that is not involved - it is simply me as a talking head against the green screen.

The video on one of the events on one of these tracks runs slow so that it does not keep in time with the audio. All other such events play perfectly with the playback resolution set to 'Best (full)', but this one doesn't. I can get it to play better if I drop the resolution of the playback, but somthing odd is going on with this event. I've found that if the video plays slower than the audio, then normally some heavy processing is occurring somewhere which slows the video down. However this event used to play ok but now doesn't.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causng this?

Thanks

Renton

Jurgen Bauwens November 20th, 2016 01:39 AM

Re: Video running slow in one event v14

Try to remove the .sfk file for that file. Vegas will create a new one upon opening the project or check if all your audio has the same sample and bitrate; meaning vegas or your pc doesn't have to switch from 44,1K to 48K in the greenkey clip

Seth Bloombaum November 20th, 2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurgen Bauwens (Post 1923815)
Try to remove the .sfk file for that file. Vegas will create a new one upon opening the project or check if all your audio has the same sample and bitrate; meaning vegas or your pc doesn't have to switch from 44,1K to 48K in the greenkey clip

An audio sample rate mismatch was my first thought as well. You can also quickly check this in clip properties in the media/assets window (IIRC, not in front of a pc).

Another tool for analyzing what's in video/audio is MediaInfo. There are free and paid versions of this application - the free one has always done all I wanted. A little hard to find; click carefully, the download page is filled with clickable ads for other apps that kinda' look like what you click for MediaInfo... but they're not.

If you do discover an audio sample rate mismatch SFAIK it is most straight forward to render an intermediate of one or the other set of files to your favorite intermediate format, but with the correct sample rate.

PS. In this post-Sony world of Vegas, it's worth noting that last week I was helping a documentary filmmaker with her workflow on Premiere Pro CC. She said "I've been told I'll need to reshoot this group of clips because, I don't know, something about the sound..." Of course those particular clips had been shot at 44.1KHz sample rate. Sensing a great opportunity, I had her throw a mix of clips, 44.1 and 48KHz on a single timeline. No problem, Premiere ate it up. I'd previously always thought of Vegas as the top of the heap in swiss-army-knife-like versatility...

Renton Maclachlan November 21st, 2016 02:43 AM

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify. The three green screen tracks are being cut up to give me different camera angles. The event in question is just one of the events on one of the green screen tracks. All the other events run perfectly. As they all derive from the same underlying file, it can't be anything to do with that file, or its .sfk file, otherwise - at least it seems to me - all the other events from the same file would be showing the same issue. They aren't.

Nor am I using the audio from this file...the audio track from this file is turned off. Thus I can't see how it can be anything to do with the audio.

I thought of a way to solve it. I simply deleted the problem event and dragged the next event on that track back over where the problem event was, cut the bits out that I didn't need, and hey presto, now the video and audio in the new event run correctly, as the rest do.

However... I then put a 1 second fade in at the start of it and when I play through that fade, the video lags, but then corrects as soon as I clear the fade. I put a fade on the next event down the track and there was no lag over the duration of that fade.

The problem fade comes immediately after a music track, but this music, which has been used in eight other episodes, has never posed a problem.

Hmmmmm

Renton

Ian Stark November 21st, 2016 03:32 AM

Is the clip exactly the same format as the others on the timeline? And on the same storage device?

Renton Maclachlan November 21st, 2016 01:49 PM

Yep... it is all part of the same file...

Ian Stark November 21st, 2016 05:13 PM

Sorry, I see you already stated that in your previous post.

If you add a similar fade to other clips, are they also laggy until the fade finishes? And when you say fade, do you mean fading up from black or from a lower track's content?

I'm just wondering if all the clips on your timeline are from the same file, if a clip overlaps another and they both are derived from the same source media, is that perhaps causing a bottleneck somewhere, i'e the disk trying to access the same file multiple times simultaneously?

The fact that this appears to be a project you have repeated many times without experiencing this issue suggests otherwise, but worth eliminating all possibilities.

Two further questions, do all three tracks have chromakeying plugins applied? And presumably there is an underlying graphic replacing the green? Tell us about those . . .

Renton Maclachlan November 23rd, 2016 02:32 AM

Thanks Ian.

Hmmm...

In the light of you asking whether it was fade up from black or the content of lower tracks, I thought I would try turning off the lower tracks...all the tracks - 5 of them - at this point fade up from black. There was no lagging, and when I turned them all back on - one at a time to check - there wasn't any lagging either. So apparently it is now running as normal...

No, the chromakey plugin is not activated...things really lag when it is on!!

The computer has been off for a couple of days...and I won't be working on the project for a bit...

If there is any change I will notify.

Renton

Renton Maclachlan December 14th, 2016 06:45 PM

Re v14 running slow.

v14 generally seems to run slow for me. I've hardly done any work in it my latest episode and I don't recall having this sort of general sluggishness before on other versions.

Some of my artwork I've had to knock back to 'Preview (half)' to get real time previewing, whereas in the past as I recall I have used 'Good ('half' or 'full')'.

I now would like to go back to v13 and take the work I have already done, so need to copy it back - V13 won't open v14 files!

Is it possible to copy whole tracks? Any thoughts on the easiest way to copy stuff between versions...or what could be slowing the program up?

Renton

Edward Troxel December 24th, 2016 12:26 PM

Renton, open both Vegas Pro 14 and 13. In Vegas Pro 14, open the project, do a CTRL-A and then CTRL-C to select all and copy everything selected. Now to go Vegas Pro 13 and do a CTRL-V to paste everything.

Renton Maclachlan December 25th, 2016 12:42 AM

Thanks Edward.

I'm away from home for a week but will try when I get back.

Happy Christmas... Jesus: Lord of the Universe. Hope of the World...

Renton