DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   off blu ray disc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/533591-off-blu-ray-disc.html)

Dale Guthormsen February 14th, 2017 03:45 PM

off blu ray disc

I want to take some material off an old hd video I made to put into vegas,

can it be done?

Pete Cofrancesco February 14th, 2017 07:31 PM

Re: off blu ray disc

MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD

Jeff Pulera February 15th, 2017 08:30 AM

Hi Dale,

Not a Vegas user, but in general - have you tried Windows Explorer to just dig around in the Blu-Ray folders to see if you have access to the "video" files? I haven't messed with Blu-Ray in a few years and probably used to know the answer to this and forgot! I know that with DVD, one can edit the .vob files, as I often do in Premiere. I think you can do similar with Blu-Ray, as long as you burned yourself so it is not encrypted of course. If you can find video clips on the disc, copy them to hard drive and import into Vegas to edit, should not need ripping/conversion software.

Thanks

Noa Put February 15th, 2017 10:08 AM

You can access a blu-ray disc through windows explorer and just copy-paste the videofiles.

Jim Michael February 15th, 2017 01:52 PM

Is a .vob just a .zip with an different extension?

Jack Zhang February 15th, 2017 04:57 PM

The .MTS or .m2ts files in the STREAM folder can be simply copied off and directly imported into Vegas.

Noa Put February 15th, 2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

No, they are 2 totally different things, just google the extensions for the meaning of both. One is basically holding the video and audio data and everything related to the menu subtites etc, a zip file is a single file that containes whatever you put in it with intention to keep those files together and compress them so they get smaller in size.

Adam Stanislav February 15th, 2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Michael (Post 1927819)

Not at all. A .vob is (a portion of) an .mp2 file. A DVD has a file size limit (I don’t remember off my head exactly what that limit is, but it is something like 1 GB or 2 GB), so the .mp2 files that exceed the limit are split into several .vob files. And, for consistency, even smaller .mp2 files on a DVD use the .vob extension.

Anyway, in most cases just copying the several .vob files into one .mp2 file works, as long as the .mp2 is not encrypted. I say in most cases because I have seen a commercial DVD which scrambled the order of clips in the .vob files in a rather naïve attempt at some extra form of copy protection.

Note that this is only true of DVD. Blu-rays (BD) use .mp4 files without splitting them to smaller chunks but giving them an .mts extension, IIRC. Unlike DVDs, the BDs are required to encrypt all videos located on them, so just trying to copy an .mts file to an .mp4 file on your computer is not likely to work without using some software that can decrypt them, which may or may not be illegal depending on where in the world you are.