off blu ray disc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 14th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

off blu ray disc

I want to take some material off an old hd video I made to put into vegas,

can it be done?
Old February 14th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: off blu ray disc

MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Dale,

Not a Vegas user, but in general - have you tried Windows Explorer to just dig around in the Blu-Ray folders to see if you have access to the "video" files? I haven't messed with Blu-Ray in a few years and probably used to know the answer to this and forgot! I know that with DVD, one can edit the .vob files, as I often do in Premiere. I think you can do similar with Blu-Ray, as long as you burned yourself so it is not encrypted of course. If you can find video clips on the disc, copy them to hard drive and import into Vegas to edit, should not need ripping/conversion software.

Thanks
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You can access a blu-ray disc through windows explorer and just copy-paste the videofiles.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Is a .vob just a .zip with an different extension?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The .MTS or .m2ts files in the STREAM folder can be simply copied off and directly imported into Vegas.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
No, they are 2 totally different things, just google the extensions for the meaning of both. One is basically holding the video and audio data and everything related to the menu subtites etc, a zip file is a single file that containes whatever you put in it with intention to keep those files together and compress them so they get smaller in size.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Not at all. A .vob is (a portion of) an .mp2 file. A DVD has a file size limit (I don’t remember off my head exactly what that limit is, but it is something like 1 GB or 2 GB), so the .mp2 files that exceed the limit are split into several .vob files. And, for consistency, even smaller .mp2 files on a DVD use the .vob extension.

Anyway, in most cases just copying the several .vob files into one .mp2 file works, as long as the .mp2 is not encrypted. I say in most cases because I have seen a commercial DVD which scrambled the order of clips in the .vob files in a rather naïve attempt at some extra form of copy protection.

Note that this is only true of DVD. Blu-rays (BD) use .mp4 files without splitting them to smaller chunks but giving them an .mts extension, IIRC. Unlike DVDs, the BDs are required to encrypt all videos located on them, so just trying to copy an .mts file to an .mp4 file on your computer is not likely to work without using some software that can decrypt them, which may or may not be illegal depending on where in the world you are.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...