Bothered by Cookie Cutter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 26th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Bothered by Cookie Cutter

Something's bothered me for a long time. Why is there not a tool in Vegas to simply draw a shape on a layer to cut it out. It would look like a little pencil or something.

Why does the cookie cutter have to use preset geometric shapes, and why, or why does the Bezier Masking have that interface that results in hard-to-control loops?
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You can always create a mask of any shape you desire in a paint program such as Photo Shop.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Jubal 28

We may see that in the future; Vegas gets more powerful -- and simpler to use -- all the time.

But hey, I figure, if the complaints about Vegas are about not having super-advanced tools -- which no other NLE comes close to having -- that speaks volumes about Vegas!
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Try "drawing" with the bezier tool like you would with pen and pencil.

Except you have to imagine lines that touch the shape you want to draw, and draw along that line.

Or another way to look at it:

2- When you click, it puts a point down there. While holding the mouse button down, drag in any direction. This controls the curvature of the line. Let get and the point is set.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Major Player

I have always fumbled with Bezier masking.

About creating a mask in photoship. How, roughly, do I do that?
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #6
Jubal 28

Want you want is white for the area you want to keep and black for the area you want to mask out.

Then, using the mask as your parent track and the video as your child track (set compositing mode to "multiply(mask)" and drop a mask generator on the mask event), the only part of the video which will be seen is that which corresponds to the white part of the mask.

Last edited by David Jimerson; October 26th, 2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #7

Take a look at Vol 3, #1 of my newsletter. It describes ways to split screen but the same principles would apply.
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

ive been hassling Sony/Sonic foundry for afew years now...
Basically the ability to load in Gradients/BW images into the cookie cutter and use THAT as the shape...
since before the version 4 beta came out in fact.. it would save alot fo time with bezier masking etc etc
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #9
Jubal 28

You can use a gradient or a B/W photo as a mask. It would work out to the same thing.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
You can use a gradient or a B/W photo as a mask. It would work out to the same thing.
While you can do that now, it takes multiple tracks and setup time. I agree with Peter. It would be neat to simply load the image into the Cookie Cutter as an effect to the image instead.

Here's an interesting possibility, though. Install the Luminance plugin transition from: http://www.endor.demon.co.uk/

Now you can add an event to the timeline, make the entire event a "fade out", apply the transition and pick the mask, and then add and adjust a "Transition Progress" envelope.
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #11
Jubal 28

Well, I certainly would agree that more options in the cookie cutter would be nice.

One thing I'm surprised it doesn't have is the classic "TV" shape, with rounded corners.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...