Vegas Pro 15 Update 1 (Build 216) released! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 4th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas Pro 15 Update 1 (Build 216) released!

Vegas Pro 15 Update 1 (Build 216) released!

Read more here:
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...ssion--108930/
Setiawan Kartawidjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Vegas Pro 15 Update 1 (Build 216) released!

Incredible! New software and the "bug patch" fixes 41 problems right from the start! Glad I held off on upgrading!
Gary Bohlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm willing to cut them some slack --taking over someone else's software is challenge. There's going to be growing pains. Vegas is also a program with some lineage, it's been around for quite a while.

Also, all software has bugs. IMO, the key is how well, and how fast they are addressed, and the future evolution of Vegas. Are they serious about the product and it's future?
Old November 9th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Just bought it.

My biggest single beef is that I want it to look like the older versions. I presume that 90% (or more) buyers of 15 are legacy users.... who crazily enough might want it to look the same.

I mean, I'm getting it close, but it'd be real nice if they just had it as a simple option to click.

For the good news, from what I'm reading, 15 can now utilize newer Nvdia cards.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
My biggest single beef is that I want it to look like the older versions.
I do, too. We had a big discussion on the Magix forum, where several people insisted that Vegas was dead because of its UI. I made it clear I would stop upgrading if they changed the UI but those who wanted it changed kept pounding on everyone else, and the result is the disaster you have seen.

Magix people claim it is very easy to switch it to the original UI, but that’s just not true. So, I’m personally done upgrading. I really see nothing great that Magix has done but some cosmetic changes and bundling of third party plugins.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #6
Trustee

+1 adam

am, when not using resolve, back to 13. i've found magix's takeover not that impressive and their gui, whilst i can live with the colour, i CAN'T work with the appalling icons.

maybe i'm simply yearning for the familiar or the uncomplicated. i just want to edit and not spend time trying to figure out what icons are and whether they're on or off.

hence my slow withdrawal from vegas groups...
Old November 12th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Are you suggesting it is easier to learn a completely different program like Resolve than Vegas which is really the same as before other than some GUI differences ? I have Resolve, Vegas 15 and my main editor EDIUS 8.5WG they all have the advantage of being able to set keyboard shortcuts the same and with that and a Shuttle Pro V2 they are all much the same to operate. They have different attributes that make them good at some things and not so good at others. It's tool kit for editing. By habit I use Vegas for audio ( I started with Vegas when it was just audio ), EDIUS for video ( speed and multicam ) and Resolve for colour . If anything Resolve 14 is now starting to get to the point where it can compete for everything I want to do I just have not learned it well enough.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Trustee

i'm not saying that it's easier to learn another nle, but rather if it works well, then leave it alone and certainly not make it harder to work with..

like you i used to work with whatever i found to be the best tool for the job. vegas was for many, many years my first go to, (this was after working with everything from media 100 through to avid, etc.,). as of resolve 14 that has changed. i'm tired of swapping programs to do 'simple' chores, and when resolve introduced more sophisticated editing abilities i tried them out. so far, other than the learning curve, i've managed to happily do everything i need within resolve. fortunately, my audio requirements are not that complex that they can't be done in resolve with the help of plugins.

i find it sad that vegas seems to have 'stalled' somewhat and been sidetracked by design rather than function. unfortunately, i can't see myself returning to anything other than vegas 13 if i need a quick edit.
Old November 12th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Well, I'm not sure why they couldn't have a "legacy" button to click on. The interface is exactly why I have stayed with Vegas as opposed to going over to Premiere - so to change it IS a rather big issue.

When you're trying to keep something afloat, why alienate any potential users? And if you're trying to glam it up... well, do a better job of it - those colors are just awful.

Willing to stick with them, but I do hope they address this down the line (it can't be that hard to give us the option).
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 05:07 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I suspect there will always be a division between traditionalists and those who want changes to an older interface for various reasons.

My other NLE, Lightworks, now has two interfaces (the new fixed suitable for short form productions and the classical flexible one for long form productions) and the older one has had a number of changes in recent years. Having said that. there are a lot of appearance settings, so you can easily customise it.

My understanding is that you could change the colour of the UI in Vegas Pro, so I suspect it should be possible to change from the currently fashionable black to gray background.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #11
Trustee

Having worked with it a bit more, I'm a bit happier with it. You can get it very close to older versions and some of the changes (like the track expand/contract) buttons look/work nicely.

I'm coming from Vegas 12, so some of the options - like 4K and Pro Res - make it absolutely worth the upgrade.

I still can't get it to give me an external/2nd monitor though. Likely an issue with my card, but it sucks right now....

BTW, I think all versions of Vegas are $200 off for the rest of the day at their website.
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...