DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Tell me why I should upgrade from Vegas 9 Platinum to Vegas Pro 15 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/534830-tell-me-why-i-should-upgrade-vegas-9-platinum-vegas-pro-15-a.html)

Jeff Wisener October 20th, 2017 04:52 AM

Tell me why I should upgrade from Vegas 9 Platinum to Vegas Pro 15

As they say "you don't know what you don't know"! What is so great about the current Vegas Pro that makes me want to fork over $250+? In other-words, if you had my of Vegas 9 Platinum what is it about Vegas 15 Pro that would make you upgrade?

I am happy with Platinum but maybe I am missing the big picture.

Jorma Nippala October 20th, 2017 10:11 AM

Re: Tell me why I should upgrade from Vegas 9 Platinum to Vegas Pro 15

You can find out yourself if the development since Sony Vegas 9 Platinum up to Magix Vegas Pro 15 is worth to you forking out the over $250+. Just download the 30-day free trial from Video editing software for film enthusiasts ? VEGAS Pro and install it to test. Be sure to check the system requirements first though (Technical specifications of VEGAS Pro video software).

Alternatively, if you think you would rather consider forking out something like about $50-70, test with the trial of Magix Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum.

Jeff Wisener October 20th, 2017 10:43 AM

Jorma, what a great answer!

Edward Troxel October 25th, 2017 03:43 PM

I will say that I would not go to a Movie Studio version from a Pro version. There's too many limitations in the Movie Studio version (the biggest for me is no scripting allowed).

There are a ton of changes from 9 to 15. If you use scripting, as the author of Excalibur - it can do things in 15 that it cannot do in 9. One huge change is the use of OFX plugins. OFX was added in Vegas Pro 10 and allows you to individually keyframe the various parameters individually instead of all at once. It also allows scripts to individually access the various parameters instead of only choosing a preset.

You would need to look at the "what's new" information for versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 to see the real differences. Look at the reviews for those versions. I wrote reviews for most of those versions that you can find here on this site.

Jorma Nippala October 26th, 2017 04:58 AM

The OP asks why he should upgrade from Vegas 9 Platinum. To me it seems he has Vegas (Movie Studio) Platinum (or Platinum Pro, which was something like the later Suite versions), so he's not considering downgrading (unless he takes the basic Movie Studio). Otherwise I fully agree of course.