DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Two Questions Regarding Vegas Pro 14 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/534950-two-questions-regarding-vegas-pro-14-a.html)

Jeff Wisener November 13th, 2017 11:24 PM

Two Questions Regarding Vegas Pro 14

As some of you know, I am in the stone age and currently using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9. I have the ability to upgrade to Vegas Pro 14 (Version 14.0.0.244). I got 2 questions:

1. If I load the Vegas 14 Pro 14, does it eliminate my ability to still open and use my Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 or can I still use both?

2. I have had issues having to convert my MOV files (Canon 7D & Phantom 4 Pro Drone MOV or MP4 files) to AVI because my current Vegas will not allow me to import and use those files.

Does Vegas Pro 14 have the ability to handle these files stated above without freezing up? If not, does it have the ability within Vegas Pro 14 to convert these files to usable video formats and if yes, what formats does it convert these files to?

Thank you in advance!

Jo Ouwejan November 14th, 2017 11:22 AM

Re: Two Questions Regarding Vegas Pro 14

To question 1): Yes.
To second question: QuickTime codecs are no longer supported by many fresh versions of many NLE’s. Conversion is not possible in Vegas 14. Instead try using Freeware Video Converter. You can convert mov files to many alternatives.

Roberto Diaz November 14th, 2017 04:41 PM

i'm confused by this response. the question (unfortunately) asked one thing in two opposing ways...

"does it eliminate my ability to still open and use my Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 or can I still use both?"

i'm confused because i dont know if the answer "yes" applies to the first version of the question ("does it eliminate my abillity to use vegas 9") or if it applies the the second version of the question ("can i still use both").

:-O

Jo Ouwejan November 15th, 2017 05:24 AM

You can remaining using both programs.

Jeff Wisener November 16th, 2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan (Post 1938507)
To question 1): Yes.
To second question: QuickTime codecs are no longer supported by many fresh versions of many NLE’s. Conversion is not possible in Vegas 14. Instead try using Freeware Video Converter. You can convert mov files to many alternatives.

May I ask what type file type you recommend to convert the MOV file to that gives me good quality and works well in Vegas 14 pro?

Jo Ouwejan November 16th, 2017 10:00 AM

I would not know, because I've never had to convert mov files until now. Try a format that meets the specs of the mov file as far as possible, mainly with respect to the amount of frames per second and whether it is a progressive format or interlaced. Also pay attention to the format PAL or NTSC.

Ron Evans November 16th, 2017 10:46 AM

I still have Quicktime on my PC . The issue is the player not Quicktime itself. I have removed the file associations etc so that Quicktime Player never runs. The other programs have no problem with using mov files.

Jo Ouwejan November 16th, 2017 11:49 AM

A player is not the same as an NLE. An NLE coms with codecs and recently maly NLE firms skipped the codecs for QT.

Ron Evans November 16th, 2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan (Post 1938660)
A player is not the same as an NLE. An NLE coms with codecs and recently maly NLE firms skipped the codecs for QT.

Not quite true as Quicktime services are used for some codecs too. The scare was because of Quicktime player used for playing internet sourced videos on Windows PC's. For most other application there is no problem so disabling the player in all your browsers and removing file association for the player just the services are available for any other program to use. You could do the same by loading Quicktime and not selecting the player application for installation. An NLE playing a mov file using the Quicktime services is not the same as the Quicktime player doing the same. Lots of the NLE's went through a lot of trouble to account for this scare that was really not necessary.

Seth Bloombaum November 16th, 2017 01:54 PM

Quicktime for Windows hasn't been updated since January 2016 and is no longer supported by Apple.

The last version is still available for download. Whether one should do so is a different question. Jan. 2016 was a long time ago.

Do bear in mind that QT is a wrapper, not a single codec. Many of the .mov files created by dSLRs can be renamed to .mp4. Not all.

Sony Vegas depended on the QT install for codecs. ProRes playback was a problem for many years on Windows, and ProRes encoding was never officially implemented by Apple, though Sorenson did it under license, and Squeeze Desktop for Windows does it.

Though Magix added QT functionality and ProRes natively to Vegas, according to this page ProRes isn't licensed.

It's all a bit of a mess. What is one to do?

Transcode with a free product?
Transcode with a licensed product?
Install old QT, which has known security vulnerabilities?
Update to latest Vegas, which may be unlicensed but at least is supported?
Go to the dark side, where all MOV codecs including ProRes are fully supported, updated regularly, and secure?

Ron Evans November 16th, 2017 02:23 PM

As I understand the issue vulnerabilities are real but in the player. If the file contains problems ie not generated by you the user or comes from the internet etc AND is played with Quicktime player. This of course is a problem if the browser had Quicktime player as the default for mov file playback. All these issues can be excluded and just use the Quicktime services in other programs.

I still have the last version of Quicktime on my PC but not the player.