DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Blu-Ray issue with Vegas 14 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/535153-blu-ray-issue-vegas-14-a.html)

Gary Bohlk December 30th, 2017 08:11 AM

Blu-Ray issue with Vegas 14

I really need some help with this. I have a completed project created in Vegas 14. I went to tools; burn disc; blu-ray and created a blu-ray. Okay, so far. I always review my work before I do anything else. While watching the blu-ray, about 2/3 of the way through I saw a glitch that I wanted to fix. I went back into the project and fixed the title I wanted changed. So, now for the problem. When I went back to tools; burn disc; blu-ray...it goes out and looks for devices which is normal. Only this time it doesn't find any devices so the drive parameter box is grayed out and empty. I can render it but I can't create the disc. There must be a setting somewhere that is preventing Vegas from finding the devices. Can anybody help? The project is complete. I just need to be able to burn the image.

I could carry this one step further, too. I tried creating a DVD with digital 5.1 surround sound. When the box comes up to burn the disc I have no parameters for audio so digital 5.1 surround sound is not an option. These problems are driving me crazy! Here I am trying to put out a project and spend weeks doing the editing only to not be able to create a finished product. Same as above; can anybody help me with this?

Jim Michael December 30th, 2017 04:03 PM

Re: Blu-Ray issue with Vegas 14

I have had to go into the Windows file manager and locate the drive before Vegas would see it. I think I right mouse clicked it.

Gary Bohlk December 31st, 2017 01:14 PM

Thanks Jim, It shows up as being there. Vegas 14 for some reason just won't recognize it. The first time I burned a blu-ray it recognized it and burned the disc. It's almost like it is giving me one shot to get it right and then it "locks" me out. And yes, this a full blown registered copy of Vegas 14. What is really annoying is Vegas 13 will recognize it with no problem. Unfortunately, I created this project in 14 and I can't go back to 13. I am literally at a point where I am going to have to render the video and then render the audio and paste the whole thing into Vegas 13. I shouldn't have to do that, though. I just don't know any other workaround.

Christopher Young January 1st, 2018 06:50 AM

This might work. Download the Trial version of v15. This will open your project then try burning from there.

The other two options that have worked for me in the past when previous Vegas versions have thrown a fit are:

WARNING these will put Vegas back to default settings.

1. Hold down CTRL and SHIFT while you double click the Vegas icon. You will be prompted to, can't remember the exact wording, something along the lines of "Do you want to reset all to default" or words to that effect. Say YES

Now open your project and see if you can burn.

2. Uninstall v14, restart your PC and reinstall v14.

Sometimes this fixes some unexplainable Vegas behaviour.

Chris Young

Gary Bohlk January 1st, 2018 07:35 AM

Thanks, Chris! Happy New Year "down under".

I'll give this a try today. I thought about uninstall and re-install but I know it leaves .dll files behind. Didn't know if this might create problems. The other thing about uninstalling is when I initially installed 14 it reeked havoc on my NewBlue standalone. Took me weeks working with NewBlue to get that resolved. I know the solution now though.

I have to tell you. Ever since Magix took over I've had no success with tech support from them. I'm not sure I want to put more of their software on my computer. When I brought this problem up with them it took 2 weeks to get an answer and when I tried their "fix"....it didn't work. When I emailed them back to tell them it didn't work I got a message back that the "ticket had been closed". Nice support, huh?!

Enrique Orozco Robles January 1st, 2018 09:40 AM

You can also try make your Bluray with DVD architect using your Vegas 14 rendered files ... good luck !!

Christopher Young January 1st, 2018 11:02 PM

Just install v15 on your box. it shouldn't give you any issues. On one box, for various reasons, I have v8, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 installed with no issues. In my case I have never had any issues with NewBlue being impacted by Vegas installs. Worth a try I think. As always there are other work arounds as Enrique says. Personally I don't think DVDA produces the best BD files due to the fact there are no ways to manipulate the encoder settings to suit the material , duration etc to be encoded.

There are a decent number of reasonably cheap encoding tools out in the market place that can give you more quality control adjustments than either Vegas or DVDA so that could be another option.

Chris Young

Gary Bohlk January 3rd, 2018 08:38 AM

I have to agree with Christopher on DVD Architect not giving me enough control. Chris, I also have earlier versions of Vegas available to me. 14 has been a problem since I installed it. What I have decided to do is create the video file as an .avc and the surround sound as separate .wav files for each track. I have then dropped them on to a timeline in 13 and everything seems to have worked out. I need to preview it but trying to get holiday things out of the way. We are on the East coast, U.S. and expecting the big snow storm tonight. So as long as we don't lose power I should have time to preview tomorrow and burn the Blu-Ray. As soon as I know everything is okay, I'll uninstall 14 for good. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I guess I'm just disappointed that 14 doesn't work as I know there are no updates or tech support (Except for here) for Sony Vegas anymore. I am totally over Magix. They have no tech support either. After I retired and I have to justify expenses more. It is just a hobby and favor to friends at this point. $200 to upgrade with this much uncertainty is just not justifiable to me right now. I don't have time to deal with Magix anymore.

Christopher Young January 4th, 2018 12:17 AM

v14 was very much a stop-gap upgrade from v13 after MAGIX took over. It had numerous issues. Some of the issues around ProRes were enough to drive you crazy... but v15.

V15 is a complete and total overhaul and so far in my case I will say it is the most stable version I've worked with since v12. V15's use of GPU is greatly enhanced on the 10 series Nvidia cards. On a dual Xeon box with a 1080 card I'm getting Best Full 4K at a full 50p without any issues but very importantly with great stability. A quite substantial improvement over previous versions. In v15 they now have a check box under preferences to "Enable legacy GPU." On a GTX-780 which was a bit marginal on an older box I work on it was suddenly able to play 4K 24p at full frame rate.

That's besides the point though. I'm glad you have been able to achieve a result even if it means via a work-around via v13.

Yes watching your cold snaps over there, brrr! We are the opposite here between the 30s and 40s.. Celsius that is :)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Gary Bohlk January 8th, 2018 07:46 AM

Thanks Chris. I don't know what to do. The "offer" for Vegas 15 runs out tomorrow. I've got some decisions to make.

I did make the Blu-ray by going back to 13. I guess one of my main issues is with tech support at Magix. That is a BIG issue with me. I know these forums are here to help but Magix needs to step up.

In all my years I have never seen temperatures this low. Today it is supposed to get to a balmy 40F. Actually, by the end of the week it will be 60F.

Christopher Young January 8th, 2018 09:51 AM

Yes it's a tough decision to make. If you want support, which we all do at times, I think the best place for that is on the Vegas Creative Software forum as there are many knowledgeable Vegas users there who can help you out with most problems that occur when using Vegas.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...ssion--108930/

While you guys freeze think about our cricket players. Australia vs England Ashes Tests. Try this for size!

"A heat stress tracker, which records environmental factors to produce a "feels like" temperature, produced a reading of 57.6 degrees out in the middle of the ground."

Ashes 2017/18: SCG Sunday roast fries players and 33,285 fans on 'hottest day of Test cricket in Australia'

I've filmed Australia vs Japan baseball in 48-49 degree C and that was close to insanity. Never again. No to those jobs in the future!

Anyhow good luck on our Vegas ventures :)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Chris