Vegas Pro alternative - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 19th, 2018, 03:11 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Vegas Pro alternative

Thankyou Steve, most helpful, and this morning there in my inbox was a very good upgrade offer from Magix (did you arrange that -)), so I went with it as did you. I also had it in the back of my mind that this might well be the first real serious update since the Sony days and that in all likelihood it would be a better product overall, as you indicated.

Thus far I’m impressed. And the White Balance tool works too -)

I uninstalled Resolve, giving that a miss, again. I simply prefer Vegas Pro and it does what I want.

A question if I may: I note Vegas Pro 15 includes a render option for 4k I’ve not encountered previously and that is the Magix AVC/AAC MP4 which has a much smaller file size than the XAVC/S I have been previously using. Any thoughts on the differences, preferences, and what I should render as?

Again, many thanks.

Cheers
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 12:19 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

If you don’t mind me asking, which exact model Nvidia card do you have?

Cheers!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 02:14 AM   #18
Trustee

Three machines. Nvidia i7 1080, Xeon dual1080Ti and on an older box a 680 which works very well in HD with v15 on XAVC-I. v15 with the right hardware is working well on our jobs.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 03:54 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris. I'm just in the market to update my main box. I'm pretty much editing 4k all the time now and I need the extra oomph!

I'm in a similar position to you regarding Vegas/other NLEs. I have Resolve and Premiere but I just can't cut as quickly as I can in Vegas. I think the writing is on the wall for me, though - I will move across - but I need a gap in business to do that - and I don't really want a gap in business!!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 11:20 PM   #20
Trustee

The dual Xeon with the 1080Ti handles the 4K without any difficulty with either Vegas or Resolve. I'm using Resolve for any really tricky grading. Generally though v15 with NewBlue, Magic Bullet and Tiffen DFX 4.0 which utilizes GPU I'm covered for 99% of my jobs which are mainly Rec 709 jobs like sport, entertainment, corporate. When I shoot S-LOG it's either S-LOG3 plus timeline LUT's or my own Custom mode S-LOG2 flavor neither of which give me any grief.

Funny though v15 hung on me yesterday for the first time since the Xeon box was commissioned. I think it was my fault though as I has just hit enter to start a render then realized it was the wrong render profile so within a second I hit the cancel dialogue and v15 hung. Restarted and continued to edit for many hours more and no issues. When I say it was the first v15 hang that means the first hang since June last year. I call that stable so I'm happy.

Chris Young
Old April 21st, 2018, 03:10 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCully View Post
Ah, why didn't I think of that!

First the good news; it works in Vegas Pro 13 just like the built in WB adjuster. The not so good news (though I'm hardly surprised) is that it does not work in Vegas Pro 14, just like the built in WB adjuster.

My guess, and it really is just a cynical guess, is that both work perfectly in Vegas Pro 15!
something wrong with your v14 install then I would suggest. If the Sony WBal isn't working nor the AAV ColorLab something sounds not right. AAV ColorLab is working fine here in 12, 13, 14 and 15 so I think some investigation required. You could try a Vegas reset I guess.which is holding 'Ctrl & Shift' while clicking on the Vegas icon. BEWARE THOUGH AS THIS WILL SET EVERYTHING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL VEGAS INSTALL. If you are prepared to do that the total reset very often fixes some of the anomalies you can get with Vegas.

Chris Young
Old April 25th, 2018, 12:40 AM   #22
Major Player

My apologies for the late response, Christopher, I've been offline.

Yes, I have no doubt you are correct. I upgraded to Vegas Pro 15 as much to experience what Magix have done and also that solved the WB problem. My new camera that got me going on this, the Lumix G9, has excellent WB adjustability and as things transpired fixing it in post is now not necessary.

Many thanks...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 10:52 PM   #23
Trustee

No probs squire!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...