New to Vegas??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 21st, 2018, 09:44 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: New to Vegas???

software for the most part is inflexible. With each version they might add features but the frame work is set in stone. So either you adapt to it or move to something that better fits your type of work. Waiting for a fix is often an exercise in futility. This is not exclusive to any one editor.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 11:16 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hey Steve,

Part of our goal this year was to up our game so to speak with the purchase of a Canon C200 for it's lowlight capability, 4k ability, and changing up our style closer to a DSLR edit, especially in our weddings.

So when I looked at my current PC NLE with Vegas, I was looking at a minimum of a new graphics card in the range of 900 to 1200. When I tested just the 4k capability with my PC NLE and it really struggled in Vegas to even playback. Oddly enough, I tested Premiere on my PC NLE and it played back much better. But I knew the PC still needed a much larger upgrade than I felt I wanted to do.

I then looked at the benefits of having one machine for our photo editing and video editing. With two months of research, we adopted an iMac Pro into the mix to handle the Canon C200 footage. Even though that meant giving up a kidney to Adobe for their monthly software suite, the streamless video/photo editing in 4k was a much-needed boost to the quality of what we do.

There were a lot more variables including a few unpleasant conversations with Adobe, but that's where we've landed and so far so good with the Canon C200 (which is amazing), iMac Pro, Adobe suite combination.

I know I'm a guy who's been known to be very critical of Vegas, especially with my history with Sony, but at this time, we were looking to upgrade our game, and upgrading my PC just wasn't in the mix this time.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:15 AM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

There are definitely many advantage to Vegas over Premiere. There's also some advantages the other way around.

No, Vegas does not have multiple "sequences" in one project. However, after being forced to use FCP for work, I can see some advantages to that but can do the same thing with multiple VEG files changing the name as needed. I also use the Auto Backup part of Excalibur which can save multiple versions of the same project for emergency purposes and will allow adding a "note" if there's a major change at any point.

For weddings, yes I have a separate project for intro, ceremony, middle, and reception which I then combine into a "final" project. Never had an issue not having multiple "sequences".

But the biggest advantage to Vegas is scripting! I still like the Excalibur multi-cam best and still use it over the built-in multi-cam. Scripts can really save a lot of time.

For example, at church I wrote a very specific script for editing our church service. I tried to make it so that anyone could pretty well walk in and do an edit even if they don't know how to use Vegas. That's how powerful scripting can be! I have not see any other NLE with that ability.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...