New to Vegas??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 15th, 2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Trustee

New to Vegas???

I have been a Premiere guy since V1, thats before it was even called Premiere Pro. I am also a guy that is hostile about subscription payment services (not trying to start that debate). The point is I am trying Vegas 14 Edit to see if I will like it. If I do I will upgrade to Vegas 15 Pro.

So here is my first stupid newb question. I look in help, tutorials, and search first but I can't find this answer. How do I add new timelines to my project? I must be missing it? I am trying not to think like an Adobe guy but please tell me I have that option. Working with many timelines in the same project is one of my staples. What am I missing?

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New to Vegas???

Hi Steven,
Vegas has the option for nested projects in recent versions. This is likely what you're looking for.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:37 PM   #3
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
How do I add new timelines to my project?
Hi Steve! Welcome aboard ... nearly..... OK what do you mean adding a “Timeline”? Ken suggests adding another Project into your open Project. Is that what you’re asking? Or are you just wishing to add another TRACK with its own TIMELINE?

Here’s some simple definition. So:

A TIMELINE is literally the WHOLE VEGAS Project and colloquially, affectionately called a Veg or Veggie and people like me are referred to as VegHeads.

Media that is Dragged to the TIMELINE are then called EVENTS

One single TRACK holds all the EVENTS.

The area that’s to the FAR left of that TRACK is the TRACK Header.

Hope that helps.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Nested projects in Vegas *are* much like nested sequences in Premiere.

I’ve not used 14, or even 13... but back when I was a power user of Vegas, one thing I found really handy was that you could open multiple instances of the program, a different project in each one, and copy and paste between them.

I’ve had to switch to Premiere to get deep with what my college is teaching - fortunately they handle the licenses. Vegas was great...
Old May 16th, 2018, 04:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Not sure if you meant a new Track but if so Ctrl + Shift + Q will give you a new video track and Ctrl + Q a new audio track.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 06:26 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

As was indicated, the question is a little vague. In Premiere terms, you cannot have multiple "sequences" in one project. One project will simply be a single timeline. If you need multiple timelines to create your project, you will need to create multiple projects.

Then you need to figure out how to combine them. One way would be to render out each segment to a new media file and then add the new renders to a new project - which I have done many times. Another way is to add the Project file to a new project. That is called a "Nested VEG file". With a nested VEG file, you can simply add the project and can still do further editing at any time.

However, you do not have "multiple sequences" in one project in Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:36 AM   #7
Trustee

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the reply's. My terminology was not accurate enough. Premiere and Vegas both have timelines that are similar. Yes, the "multiple timelines" I am looking for in Vegas are called "sequences" in Premiere. Every time you want a new timeline to work with you make a new sequence. They have total compatibility with each other. You can create as many versions of the video as you want all in the same "project". I find it very efficient.

Creating a new .veg for each one will just be a change in work flow. I don't expect Vegas to be the same as Premiere. I have a lot to learn about the UI and the work flow. After all the years I have invested in Adobe I am not crazy about this, but hey, I am telling myself old dogs CAN learn new tricks. Thank you for letting me know one of my most frequently used features of Premiere is not available in Vegas. It is not a deal breaker, but it does seem crazy to have to create a new .veg/project for each version of the video. I am looking forward to also discovering benefits Vegas has that were not available to me in Premiere. This is my first edit in Vegas, I am brand new to it.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old May 17th, 2018, 04:11 AM   #8
Trustee

Like with any software once you learn the software you can get really creative with your edits.

Good thing about Sony Vegas is I have noticed on Youtube a lot of the young gamers absolutely love it so they are always sharing tips and tutorials on really cool transitions and editing techniques which you can apply to events and weddings (rather than gaming videos like they do).

I have learnt a lot from these kids.

Been a die hard user of Sony Vegas 11 & 12 and now editing 4K on Sony Vegas 13.

Used to use Cyberlink Powerdirector before that.

Never been a Premiere user. But I use Photoshop and After Effects religiously as well.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 04:16 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the reply's. My terminology was not accurate enough. Premiere and Vegas both have timelines that are similar. Yes, the "multiple timelines" I am looking for in Vegas are called "sequences" in Premiere. Every time you want a new timeline to work with you make a new sequence. They have total compatibility with each other. You can create as many versions of the video as you want all in the same "project". I find it very efficient.

Creating a new .veg for each one will just be a change in work flow. I don't expect Vegas to be the same as Premiere. I have a lot to learn about the UI and the work flow. After all the years I have invested in Adobe I am not crazy about this, but hey, I am telling myself old dogs CAN learn new tricks. Thank you for letting me know one of my most frequently used features of Premiere is not available in Vegas. It is not a deal breaker, but it does seem crazy to have to create a new .veg/project for each version of the video. I am looking forward to also discovering benefits Vegas has that were not available to me in Premiere. This is my first edit in Vegas, I am brand new to it.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Trust me what ever Premiere can do, so can Sony Vegas.

Can you show me a screenshot of what you mean in Premiere so that I can understand better. I am a visual learner I don't know the technical jargon.
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:41 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I know what steve is asking. I use fcp and it was a shock to discover that vegas doesn’t have multiple timelines/sequences or whatever you want to call them. For a wedding you would have separate timelines for the reception and ceremony. I often duplicate the timeline to create different edit lengths or versions allowing you to step back to a previous edit. While you can get around not having it, it is a very useful feature.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #11
Trustee

James,

It is super easy to visualise because the main project screens in Vegas/Premiere look so similar. In a screen shot all you would see is tabs above the timeline. Each time you add a new "sequence" (additional timeline) it makes a blank one and adds a tab so one click navigates between them. It is a valuable and efficient part of the premiere workflow. It serves many purposes. In Premiere your timeline is not the project as someone suggested it is for Vegas. Your project is everything you are working on ie: imported media, raw video, cuts, your edits etc. All the same stuff you have in a .veg project.

Your a wedding shooter, so, like Pete said you could work on a 5 minute highlight reel, a 20 minute short reel, and your 60 minute doco all at once. Everything you need for them all is right in front of you in the project. They are totally interactive. You can copy and paste between them. So if you cut a killer 30 second opening you just paste it to the other two versions one click away. No need to open other projects or to have multiple instances of the same program open. And each sequence is also its own movie. You can reder them out any way you want.

And...this is different than nesting. But I still need to learn more about Vegas nesting. Maybe that will help some.

It is going to take some getting used to not having this option as it has been a standard part of my workflow for so many years.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:04 AM   #12
Trustee

I still can do that though.

I just keep a space between the projects, and work on the next version of the film.

When I render, depending on which part I want to render I just double click and drag the yellow cursor highlight the part I want to render out.

It can be done but it may not be so obvious without physically showing you.
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:52 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Edius is more like Premiere in having sequences that are on tabs that you can move between and have common bins of resources. I move between EDIUS my main editor, Vegas 15 and Resolve for different reasons. Edius has the best multicam in my mind and is fast, Vegas best audio editing and Resolve for colour.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have been a Premiere guy since V1, thats before it was even called Premiere Pro. I am also a guy that is hostile about subscription payment services (not trying to start that debate). The point is I am trying Vegas 14 Edit to see if I will like it. If I do I will upgrade to Vegas 15 Pro.

Steve
Sad, I'm a Vegas guy moving to Premiere Pro, this of course after Adobe forced me by brute strength to pay a pint of blood a month for their software rental.
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:27 AM   #15
Trustee

Steven Davis, Why are you bailing on Vegas?

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...