Magix pop up adds. Crazy load of Irritation! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 19th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Magix pop up adds. Crazy load of Irritation!

Last year I loaded Vegas 14 to test drive it. I have ended up staying with Premier but intended to leave Vegas installed. But...because of the over aggressive Magix marketing I have uninstalled everything Magix.

But even with that done I still get a big pop up ad in the right corner of the screen I have to manually close every time I start the computer. I run a clean dedicated editing rig. I can't figure out which start up process this is in the system. It is embedded and not labeled as a recognisable file. Of course it is not EASY to find!

How do I get Magix out of my system completely and for good!

Magix....YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO EMBED YOUR INTRUSIVE ADVERTISING ON MY SYSTEM! I WILL NEVER BUY YOUR PRODUCTS AGAIN!

Steve
Old December 19th, 2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Magix pop up adds. Crazy load of Irritation!

Sometimes a simple "uninstall" from the control panel doesn't do the job and leaves files behind.
Norton is an example of this and requires a proprietary "removal tool" to get rid of the stuff left behind after a standard uninstall.

A registry cleaner may help you with this. However, I have had to manually delete some items an/or folders (related to a program I thought was completely uninstalled) from the registry from time to time. CAUTION!! Messing with registry items can really foul things up, so be sure you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Steven,

I have Magix Vegas Pro v15 and v16 as well as Magix Vegas movie Studio v15 and have never seen a pop-up when I started my computer, however I have never had v14. Is the pop-up for Magix products or add-on's like NewBlue whatever? If you would rather not post in the Magix forum, if you can get a screenshot of the pop-up and post it here, I would be happy to post it for you in the Magix forum and see if we can get an answer.

But somewhat like yourself, I have migrated away from Vegas Pro to DaVinci Resolve and actually having a fun time editing again. With that said I do still dabble in Vegas Pro and Movie Studio to help support friends I have that are still using those products (using the term products loosely!).
Old December 19th, 2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

It's probably "Magix Connect" that is popping up those ads. Just uninstall Magix Connect to remove them. Here's an explanation from Magix:

Hi everybody,

here are the answers to your questions.

What is Connect?

Connect is a tool we use to communicate directly and efficiently with our customers in order to share valuable offers and other information. Since it operates independently of your MAGIX software, you don't have to open your software to receive our best offers. With Connect, you'll never miss out on our best deals or important information.

Do I have to use Connect? Can I uninstall it?

No, you do not have to use Connect. To uninstall it, go to your system's Control Panel, choose Uninstall a program, find Connect in the list, and follow the normal uninstall procedure from there. While this will not affect the operation of your MAGIX software in any way, remember that you will no longer receive future offers through the Connect system.

Does Connect collect data from me?

Connect gathers anonymized data only relating to your interaction with the notifications. This enables us to optimize our offers and show only relevant deals without burying you in offers you are not interested in. Connect does not collect your personal data, or any data which can be connected specifically to you. Of course we never disclose your data to third parties.

Best regards

Mathias
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2018, 10:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Edward, you solved it. Vegas installed a completely separate app called "Connect". Obviously lt it is not branded as Vegas or Magix so you don't notice it. Uninstalling it has stopped the irritating pop ups.

I find this statement from Magix to be a contradictory:

"Connect gathers anonymized data only relating to your interaction with the notifications. This enables us to optimize our offers and show only relevant deals without burying you in offers you are not interested in. Connect does not collect your personal data, or any data which can be connected specifically to you. Of course we never disclose your data to third parties."

On one hand they say it does not identify you. On the other it says clicking on the ads will customize the bombardment of marketing ads they push into your system. How is that possible?

Yes I understand today's aggressive technological marketing techniques. I also know the value of data mining for these companies. That does not mean I have to lay down and take it. I believe automatically installing a seperate application on my system (and under a different name) solely for the purpose of push marketing is over the top. My time is valuable, I do not want to spend it fighting junk advertising popping up on my dedicated editing system. I will never purchase another Magix product again.

I encourage all of you to go to your apps and look for "Connect". Did you know it was there? Does it serve a purpose for you? Did you know it reports back to Magix every time you click on one of the pop ups? Do you want apps running on your system that serve no purpose for you? What if every software company you use installs their own separate app on your system to monitor your use of their product, is that OK with you? Strangely, the pop ups that occurred EVERY time I boot up began AFTER I began uninstalling their products. Before that it was just the usual upgrade stuff when I would open Vegas, I get that, its OK. But a separate app to report, monitor, and create pop ups in my start up commands is ridiculous. I can't use the words I would like to use right now.

I hope I am not the only one that pushes back against this kind of intrusive marketing. Good By to Magix and Vegas!

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old December 21st, 2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Steven, I understand your frustrations. In the past I either never got Magix Connect installed, or long ago I uninstalled it (most likely) and had forgotten about it. Glad Edward provided you with the solution. And, I certainly do appreciate your ability to withhold using the language you would like to.

These new era times have certainly seen a lot of changes in business practices and marketing techniques which intrude into our privacy. Although I don't like the aggressiveness of the techniques, the Genie has been let out of the bottle and will never be returned. That we are stuck with.
Old December 21st, 2018, 03:05 PM   #7
Major Player

As I’ve read elsewhere, Magix has got the message and stepped down from this marketing-idea. Too many people objecting.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan View Post
As I’ve read elsewhere, Magix has got the message and stepped down from this marketing-idea. Too many people objecting.
It is a massively stupid idea to begin with, the resulting fallout absoutely predictable, and I would question the ability of the executive at Magix who spearheaded this initiative. Perhaps the company would be better off without that person.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...