DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Freezing frame (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/53706-freezing-frame.html)

Ruben Pla November 2nd, 2005 01:20 PM

Freezing frame

Hi, everyone!

Can someone tell me how I can freeze the last frame of a moving shot, so it looks like the tilt stopped and the camera held on the last frame for a few seconds?

Thank you,

Ruben

James Bridges November 2nd, 2005 01:24 PM

Which editor are you using?

James Bridges November 2nd, 2005 01:30 PM

Never mind.......just noticed the Vegas heading..........Never used it. Sorry.

Edward Troxel November 2nd, 2005 01:43 PM

Insert a velocity envelope. Change the velocity to 0% on that frame. If you double-click the envelope, it will add nodes. Add two nodes leaving the first at 100% and changing the second to 0%. How far apart the two are will determine the amount of time it takes to slow down. Take a look at Vol 1 #9 of my newsletter for the "Changing the Speed of a Clip" article.

Ruben Pla November 2nd, 2005 01:48 PM

Thank you, Edward. I'll check it out.

Ruben

Ruben Pla November 2nd, 2005 02:01 PM

Edward,

I tried the velocity envelope. I need to freeze the last frame for a few seconds, but keep the speed of the rest of the clip the way it is. I'm not clear on how to do that.

Ruben

Edward Troxel November 2nd, 2005 02:05 PM

You leave the speed of the rest of the clip at 100%. If you're saying you need to freeze something in the middle of a clip and then resume normal playback, that can be done as well:

100%................100%.0%....0%.100%......................

This would play the clip until the freeze frame, freeze it momentarily, and the resume to normal playback speed.

Ruben Pla November 2nd, 2005 02:41 PM

Sorry, I'm not quite getting it, Edward. It is the last frame of the clip that I want to freeze for a few seconds, but how do I get that last frame frozen while leaving all of the rest of the clip at 100%. I added one node at the beginning with 100% and one at the end with 0%, but that gradually slows the whole clip down. How do I change just the last frame to 0%?

Edward Troxel November 2nd, 2005 02:45 PM

You add TWO at the end

100%................................100%.0%

Ruben Pla November 2nd, 2005 03:36 PM

Thank you, Edward. I got it now. Actually, I had tried that before (adding two nodes at the end), but the freezing of the frame was not long enough. Then, playing around with it, I finally realized that it's the distance from the last node to the end of the take that determines the length of the freeze.

Thank you for your help,

Ruben

Edward Troxel November 2nd, 2005 03:40 PM

Actually, once frozen it can be as long as you want. Just make the event longer and it will continue to be frozen on that one frame to the new end.

Ruben Pla November 2nd, 2005 05:34 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh. THAT'S cool! I didn't know that part, that after the final node you can stretch the clip and the frozen frame remains there. That makes it much easier. Thank you.