Networking for Vegas 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 5th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Networking for Vegas 6

Okay. So the computer geek is finally tired. I just can't play these games any more. I have to ask a question, because problem solving doesn't thrill me as much as it used to.

I finally have another computer and I want to do network renders. One is a laptop, the other, my normal desktop. Both are XP (one Pro, one home) and both are fully outfitted.

What is the best/fastest way to network them. Ethernet cable (if so, how) wireless (if so, must be ad hoc, as I have to router) or perhaps a usb 2.0 connection.

What do you all think? Oh, and a brief explanation of the rudimentary elements of making the network render work.

This should be a heavenly question for a computer nerd who still has the energy to deal with the little silicon beasts.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For two computers only you do not need router, switch, hub or another network device - You can connect computers with a "crossover" cable. After plug cable in to two computers you need adjust them Ethernet controllers on TCP/IP protocol
Why Ethernet it is better, because this most stable connection.
For network rendering you need network licens (One serial number for Vegas with a various activation codes)

PS Sorry 4 my English
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Major Player

That's O.K. I got the gist of it. Thanks! Basically you're saying an ethernet crossover cable between the two computers and creating a network link will automatically connect them for Vegas.

Does anyone do this? Is it a wonderful boost in speed?
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

First of all, not all formats can be network rendered. And for those that can, the benefits are project dependent. If the project has lots of effects, network rendering can help. If you only have a few dissolves here and there, you probably won't see much benefit. So it's really hard to say how much benefit YOU would get from it until you try it with your projects.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #5
Major Player

O.K. Thanks. So it doesn't just chop up the workload and distribute the pieces? Say, for rendering a bunch of clips and cuts to a DVDA mpeg.

Because in an ideal world, I was thinking (simplistically) that half the project would be done with one system, the other half on another, assemble and spit out. I guess that's not the case.
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #6

MPEG2 is one of the formats where a single file CANNOT be rendered in pieces on multiple machines. The problem is the stitching point at the end - MPEG2 can't be stitched. However, you COULD use network rendering to set the various machines to individually render separate complete files.
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #7
Trustee

whoa, i didn't know that. i thought MPEG2 could. =). thx Ed.

another question. does this mean all other codex other than MPEG2 can be networked? if not, which ones are and which ones aren't? use the shortest list =).
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #8

You CAN use network rendering to tell another computer on the network to render the file to MPEG2. However, you do not want MULTIPLE computers rendering a single video to MPEG2. See here for more details:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=277103

Here's some interesting info:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=371431
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #9
Trustee

thx4link =).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...