Please explain the difference between 50i 60i and 24p. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please explain the difference between 50i 60i and 24p.

Hello

What should i render as in vegas 50i 60i or 24p what are the difference between them all.

Thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rog
Hello

What should i render as in vegas 50i 60i or 24p what are the difference between them all.

Thanks
Could you be a little more specific? What output medium are you hoping to render too?

Are you in a PAL zone? An NTSC zone? Why would you be interested in PAL frame rate output if you're in an NTSC zone, and vice-versa?

I guess you've been reading all the "film like" threads and picking up on the "shoot using PAL 50i and render as 24p for best film look results"...

If that's the case, then the logic and evidence would indicate that's the way to go to get the best "film look" result.

Take a look at ConnectHD and the new frame rate conversion options. Also worth your while to check Gearshift for Vegas. These tools are designed to make your 'editing HDV' life easier - especially Vegas users who can't make their mind up about the best way to do something with their HDV footage.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hello

Thanks

The difference is how they are captured and shown. 50i is PAL or the European format. 60i is NTSC format for Canada and US and others. 24p is the NTSC for format for film look progressive. I believe 25p would be for Europe.

50i and 60i are interlaced, meaning that they are two 25 and two 30 interlaced frames respectively per second combined. It will take two interlaced frames, upper and lower fields, to make one complete frame for viewing. Progressive formats use one frame for one complete frame, meaning 24p would be 24 frames per second or progressive. While 60i would mean 60 half frames per second.

Wow, this is much harder to explain, rather then just understand. I have been hanging around this place too long!

If you are doing video for the US etc. it would be 60i, if for Europe to would be 50i, and for a film look it would be 24p.

Where are you located and what are you shooting with and for what audiance. It helps to put your location on your profile.

Others can give much better info, but will need the same questions answered.

Mike
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi

thanks for the reply profile updated

i am in the PAL Zone meaning the uk so let me get this correct if i shoot something on my FX1E and render it out to 24P i will have a film look to my footage? if that’s the case i will have to try this then. how well does this work have any of you guys tried it and once rendered out to 24p does it look like real film? my final delivery will be high quality DVD so i can watch it on the HD set.

PS

Thanks for the picture mr teutsch

ha
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hi

thanks for the reply profile updated

i am in the PAL Zone meaning the uk so let me get this correct if i shoot something on my FX1E and render it out to 24P i will have a film look to my footage? if that’s the case i will have to try this then. how well does this work have any of you guys tried it and once rendered out to 24p does it look like real film? my final delivery will be high quality DVD so i can watch it on the HD set.

PS

Thanks for the picture mr teutsch

ha

Two mr. teutsch's in two days, I must look old even in print, that's bad! Not really I guess, I am what I am, and that's all what I am!

Your camera shoots 1080i Hidef, which is in 50i video, I think. And, if you want the film look you could try rendering to 25p, for Europe, if your software has that capability. Never even touched a PAL camera, let a lone rendered any footage, but a search on this forum will bring you many results.

All I have are Canon's and a JVC and I don't understand them too well!

Good Luck!

Mike
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello

Has anyone here gone from 50i 60i to 24p 25p to see what kind of look it gives the video does it really look like film?
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #8

In terms of the cadence, it will look much like film. However, there are also color processes to be applied, ala Magic Bullet or Celluloid, if you want the color and gamma of film.

We've done LOTS of 24p output from 50i and 60i, as well as from CF 25 and CF30, and very happy with it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Double post
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
In terms of the cadence, it will look much like film. However, there are also color processes to be applied, ala Magic Bullet or Celluloid, if you want the color and gamma of film.

We've done LOTS of 24p output from 50i and 60i, as well as from CF 25 and CF30, and very happy with it.
Any chance you have any of these clips online so i could take a look?

Thanks
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Any chance you have any of these clips online so i could take a look?

Thanks
No, because they're output as either HD, or as MPEG2, which requires a fair amount of storage space. It's not that hard, take your camera and Vegas, and use the recipe mentioned earlier in this thread, judge for yourself.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

ok

thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...