DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   save as m2t where is it in vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/54967-save-m2t-where-vegas.html)

Jim Rog November 25th, 2005 06:07 AM

save as m2t where is it in vegas?

Hi

Where can i find the CineForm codec in vegas and out put the file back to M2T? i don’t see M2T listed in the save type as...

Also what format does it have to be in
in order to put it onto a DVD can i edit in M2T then render as M2T then put that to DVD? i have read lots of stuff on here but i am still confused about what file i should edit in.

thanks for the input

Steve Crisdale November 25th, 2005 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Rog
Hi

Where can i find the CineForm codec in vegas and out put the file back to M2T? i don’t see M2T listed in the save type as...

Also what format does it have to be in
in order to put it onto a DVD can i edit in M2T then render as M2T then put that to DVD? i have read lots of stuff on here but i am still confused about what file i should edit in.

thanks for the input

m2t is just the file extension used to signify a 'm' for MPEG, '2' for two and 't' for Transport Stream - which is the same kind of stream that's used for HD broadcasting.

DVD uses Program Stream MPEG2, and there are certain media players that will support HD playback of *.ts (again Transport Stream!!) files, while others support only Program Stream. Just mentioned that so you'd be aware if you ever consider a Network Media Player for your edited HDV from PC to HDTV playback!!

Any who; you should be able to export straight back to the camera from Vegas 6 from what I understand, or... you can render a 1080i CFHD AVI in the flavour (NTSC/PAL) you require, and use ConnectHD's HD Link Utility to write back to the camera.

Jim Rog November 25th, 2005 07:20 AM

Thank you that's very interesting

So i can capture the m2t file with HDLink put that into vegas and edit it and then record the edited footage back onto the camcorder tape, have i got that correct? will the quality be the same as the original footage? when you record back to the camera do you have to render the whole thing out first?

So just for my reference how do i save an edited M2T file in vegas? because i still don’t see it in the Save Type List.

Thanks for the help

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 25th, 2005 08:04 AM

Quote:

Thank you that's very interesting

So i can capture the m2t file with HDLink put that into vegas and edit it and then record the edited footage back onto the camcorder tape, have i got that correct? will the quality be the same as the original footage? when you record back to the camera do you have to render the whole thing out first?

So just for my reference how do i save an edited M2T file in vegas? because i still don’t see it in the Save Type List.

Thanks for the help

Jim,
I'd respectfully suggest you do just one project in Vegas, so you understand. Every question you've asked would be answered almost immediately in your own mind if you were to experience just one edited and printed to tape project.
To print a project back to tape, you don't use "Save As," you use "Render As" and you'll need to render the project to an m2t file. In the MPEG options, you'll find HDV templates. In your case, you'll use the HDV/60i template.
This is where you can experience different framerate conversions, color shift, transitions, special FX, etc to improve or artistically enhance your HDV footage. Then, when you want to give copies of your first project to friends, you can down convert to DVD, and you'll understand that process better too.

Jim Rog November 25th, 2005 08:52 AM

Hello

I am soon getting the training DVDs but until then i still would like to learn what i can. i here what you are saying but i would still like to know how i save a m2t file in vegas when i go to render as and then to Save as type: and i look in that list i do not see anything about m2t do you mean i have to go to MainConcept MPEG-2 then click Default Template then select HD 1080-60i? you have to remember not everyone is at your standard and other people have a slower learning curve, like me.

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 25th, 2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Hello

I am soon getting the training DVDs but until then i still would like to learn what i can. i here what you are saying but i would still like to know how i save a m2t file in vegas when i go to render as and then to Save as type: and i look in that list i do not see anything about m2t do you mean i have to go to MainConcept MPEG-2 then click Default Template then select HD 1080-60i? you have to remember not everyone is at your standard and other people have a slower learning curve, like me.

Thanks

Jim,
My point earlier is that the method of doing this is found earlier in this same thread.
After you're done editing, to to:
File>
Render As>
Choose MPEG format
In there choose the HDV 60i template
Render the project

That's it. Print the resulting file back to tape using either Vegas or CineForm.
The manual explains this as well.

Doing a project, even a short, 10 second project, would help you understand all of this very quickly. It's not a question of learning curve, it's a question of whether you're actually working with the software vs asking questions because you haven't opened the software and spent time inside of it. *most* of your questions would be self-answered by experiencing this process.

Some of these links might help you. http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=HDV

Jim Rog November 25th, 2005 09:37 AM

Hello

i have used it for a little project which i rendered out and that came out ok, but i did not render it as a m2t file i just used windows format and the quality was ok but not that good so that’s why i was wanting to know about the whole m2t thing because i thought m2t had much better quality. i am slowly understanding more just taking time i think the DVDs will help me a lot, books are good but i cant really get into books and find it a lot more difficult to understand them. that’s why i like video training so i can follow the steps by steps on the screen which helps a lot.

Thanks for the link and your explanation.

Jim

Phil Hamilton November 25th, 2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Hello

i have used it for a little project which i rendered out and that came out ok, but i did not render it as a m2t file i just used windows format and the quality was ok but not that good so that’s why i was wanting to know about the whole m2t thing because i thought m2t had much better quality. i am slowly understanding more just taking time i think the DVDs will help me a lot, books are good but i cant really get into books and find it a lot more difficult to understand them. that’s why i like video training so i can follow the steps by steps on the screen which helps a lot.

Thanks for the link and your explanation.

Jim

Jim - DSE is correct. I played around with this to get most of my answers. But, yes, when you go to TOOLS/PRINT TO HDV TAPE after you'ved edited your hdv footage - go ahead and print to tape. During the process an M2T file is created and you can pick the destination. Be sure to uncheck the box that asks if you want to delete the newly rendered file after printing to tape. That way you have it on tape AND as an M2T that you can print at a later time or archive or whatever.

I have not tried rendering yet directly to M2T because so far every time I do I am only trying ulitmately to go back to tape therefore I use the Print to Tape option.

Regarding quality, once going back to tape I see no loss of quality AT ALL. And this is from using the Cineform AVIs to edit with and all transitions added etc. I am very pleased with the end result - but I wish it would go faster...ph

Jim Rog November 25th, 2005 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Hamilton
Jim - DSE is correct. I played around with this to get most of my answers. But, yes, when you go to TOOLS/PRINT TO HDV TAPE after you'ved edited your hdv footage - go ahead and print to tape. During the process an M2T file is created and you can pick the destination. Be sure to uncheck the box that asks if you want to delete the newly rendered file after printing to tape. That way you have it on tape AND as an M2T that you can print at a later time or archive or whatever.

I have not tried rendering yet directly to M2T because so far every time I do I am only trying ulitmately to go back to tape therefore I use the Print to Tape option.

Regarding quality, once going back to tape I see no loss of quality AT ALL. And this is from using the Cineform AVIs to edit with and all transitions added etc. I am very pleased with the end result - but I wish it would go faster...ph

Thanks very much phil great advice

i have never put anything back to tape before so i am going to give that ago and see how things turn out.

Thanks again