Compressing after rendering - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #31
Major Player

It's all good. BTW, I'm posting stuff on Rocketboom, and for that I need to send the larger file - they are sending stuff to TIVO now, and need the higher res. But when I send stuff to my vlog, I use the 320 settings.

Thanks all for the info.

Milt
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #32
Trustee

i haven't yet tried frameserving from vegas to nero, thanks for the tip.

you should be able to shave a good 100kbps or more by cutting the frame size in half... it's maybe a little less efficient than encoding a full frame... another thing that really helps is to cut the frame rate down, typically by multiples of 2... if the content allows it, you can really save some bandwidth by doing that.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Well I didn't have any problem so far with Recode except when I try to resize the image in Recode to 640x480 , it crashes when the second pass starts. I read in the Recode tutorial provided by Spot that is is better to resize in Vegas anyway . Well if I resize it in Vegas there is a slight problem , for some reason one of my event doesn't quite follow. Here is a screenshot to better explain myself. The cover disappear and the text event replicates the title and stay while the cover fades away.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4750/res0fw.jpg

Somehow my text event gets WAY too small. I am not sure why this is happening, any thoughts. After that I will be ready to post my results

Thanks

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Philippe Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Well, thanks to all your input I am done with this one. I want to say that the compression to h.264 took a bit of experimentation but ended up with great results.

So to check it out click on the link below

http://www.production24fps.com/videoenglish.php

It is the latest one, the Nightlife magazine one.

To show that all your input actually helped me learned I posted the same video as it would have been if I hadn't started this thread, I would've use the same compression schemes and woulnd't have known the existence on "Levels".

Without levels the result is dramatically different. You can view it by clicking on the lin below.

http://www.production24fps.com/test.php

Just click on the image of Perrier at the bottom.

Any feedback will be as always greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Phil

ps: Glenn, did you write any tutorials on your color correction technique, your video is simply amazing and I would love to master colo correction as you do.Thanks

**********EDIT************

well I spoke too soon, I just saw your new signature . I can't wait for your tips and tricks :)

Old December 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
ps: Glenn, did you write any tutorials on your color correction technique, your video is simply amazing and I would love to master colo correction as you do.Thanks
What video did you see? I have probably written something on how the color in that particular video was achieved.

Quote:
well I spoke too soon, I just saw your new signature .
Yes, it's coming. :)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Hi Glenn,

Well I saw the clip for the female singer, she sings with her band in a bar, I still have the file, it's name is "ab-comparison.mov"

Thanks

Old December 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Gosselin
the first clip at that url(512?.mp4) barely played on my older pc, which is an amd 1800(?) cpu... i was seeing about a frame every 5 seconds.

the same footage in wmv(your test clip) played fine, even tho it was probably twice as big.

you may have to select the simple qt mode in nero, which disables some bidirectional playback capability, because the qt player may not be able to handle it... h.264
definitely requires more cpu to decode than wmv.
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

Are you referring to this option in nero: "bidirectionnal prediction". I don't see anything else that fits your description.

It is strange since my computer can play it back fine and my computer is much older than yours.

Thanks

Phil

Old December 19th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Phillipe, I have information on how I achieved the color correction for that particular clip ( http://www.glennchan.info/ab-comparison.mov ). Looking back on it I made some mistakes, but nevermind that!

Here are the notes...

The information is a little old and may have some mistakes in it.
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi Glenn,

This seems to be wonderful info. I just took a quick look and it seems pretty thorough. Thanks for putting it up.

Did you see my clip? Did it work for you or was there any problem?

Phil

Old December 20th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #41
Trustee

yes, that's the right choice, i believe that bidirectional prediction is disabled when qt simple mode is selected.

my slow computer is probably 2-3 years old at least, by now... remember that we are talking about the qt player, not the player that comes with the nero software, which is far superior to qt.
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #42
Regular Crew

hi Dan,

Thank you for your clarification. Actually it won't be of any use because I will not use mp4 for my videos on my website. Too many people have problems reading them so I will go back to wmv. I got the hang of it so the results ar far more superior than it was before this thread.

I will still use Nero but for personnal purposes.

Thanks

Phil

Old December 20th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Did you see my clip? Did it work for you or was there any problem?
It worked for me.
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Glenn : Did QT open it for you or was it MP. Thanks

Anyway, I know the principle that states that if it works on my computer the rest is not my problem but the goal of my website is to obviously attract customer and after working 3 years as a tech rep for various websites/ISP's, believe me people are stupid and clueless when it comes to computers.

Everybody who had problems playing my video are computer savvy so I can only imagine the reaction of those who are not.

Thanks for your input Glenn

Phil

Old December 20th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #45
Inner Circle

That clip http://www.production24fps.com/levels-1.wmv opens in windows media player.

2- The .mp4 extension can be problematic for people with Real Player. RP will hijack the computer's associations so .mp4s open in it. However, RP cannot play back quicktime-encoded MPEG4 video files.

3- You can also try the shotgun approach- give them multiple choices, but make sure the instructions are clear.

Some people will know what works and what doesn't work on their computer, so the shotgun approach is useful in that case. Some other people may also try another option if the first doesn't work.

The downside is that you can sometimes confuse people as they have to make a choice. So maybe go for the quicktime/mac and windows media/PC dichotomy.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...