Vegas 5 Cross Effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 5 Cross Effect

Hi - I have a project going and I'm using a 16:9 aspect ratio via pan/crop. I have applied a cross effect zoom in several areas but the effect does not stay in the 16:9 aspect ratio and bleeds over the black bars. Any way to correct this? Thanks very much
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Create another video track and make it the top-most track. Then put your mask on the on that track. This will hide anything that goes outside the area.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you - what is there to mask, use text generator, media, gen? What is to mask and crop? Really appreciated Ed.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

You can create the mask in several ways. Generated media will work. You could create an image in Photoshop (i.e. black bars on the top and bottom and transparent in the middle). These are but two ways of many available.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks very much Ed
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Darn it, got the mask in there, top track, works fine but all the cross effect zooms still fill the screen back up. I used generated media, solid black, cut out the mask, turned the inside to negative, and ran it the length of the event. Cross effect zoom still blows right over the black bars.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #7
Major Player

......I think maybe it has to be rendered for it to work..
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Not sure why that's not working for you. If you want, send me your .veg at VegasEditingATaolDOTcom.

Another approah is to bring your project in as a nested veg and apply the pan/crop letterbox to that.

Gary
Gary Kleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #9

You can also reach Gary at gary[at]douglasspottedeagle[dot]com or gary[at]vasst[dot]net. I think his gary[at]sonyvegas[dot]com is still active too.

You can find a VASST package of masks at http://www.vasst.com/training/letterboxmasks.zip that contain all 3 common sizes of masks/letterboxes, plus a Vegas 1:78 specific mask.
Put these on a top track, don't do anything with the track, just put them there, and that will mask anything beneath.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #10
Major Player

So I 'd like to say AMEN. The question may have not seemed so significant but the particular effect used was wreaking havoc as I need to have the project done by the weekend and just noticed the problem, $4000 in the toilet without your help. Merry Christmas if you will.
Michael Best is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...