Any ex-Premiere Pro users here? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Don't forget whose on those forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
I know the product is only $89 but before you make that plunge I think a visit to the Pinnacle Studio 10 forums will change your mind.
Rick: While I've already indicated there are a few problems Pinnacle has to iron out in 10, I have used their products for years and had the same things happen. New release, a period of problems.

The problem with relying on the Forum there to judge how the software can perform is that this is generally a consumer product, not a professional product. You are getting a lot of people there who don't know to much about any aspect of video editing or general computing issues for that matter.

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; January 23rd, 2006 at 03:46 PM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #47
Regular Crew

I have been reading a lot on Vegas 6 and will before I dish out another wad of money. The full version of Vegas does not support scripting just one of the drawbacks of Vegas I have found so far other than that it's a Plus and I feel that for someone that is planning on staying with NLE it's support in forums and all is fantastic!!! Might have to dish out the bucks and stick with it. I will have another 5 days off comming up and plan on testing it out a whole lot more. Gosh, if I only had a camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L Scott
I have been reading a lot on Vegas 6 and will before I dish out another wad of money. The full version of Vegas does not support scripting just one of the drawbacks of Vegas I have found so far other than that it's a Plus and I feel that for someone that is planning on staying with NLE it's support in forums and all is fantastic!!! Might have to dish out the bucks and stick with it. I will have another 5 days off comming up and plan on testing it out a whole lot more. Gosh, if I only had a camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, ONLY the full version of Vegas supports scripting. Neither of the two Movie Studio versions support scripting. All versions support DX plugins.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #49
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L Scott
The full version of Vegas does not support scripting just one of the drawbacks of Vegas I have found so far
No. The full version of Vegas DOES include scripting. The "Movie Studio" versions of Vegas do not.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Oh! OK Thanks. I really believe this will be my choice after I block out all my prior experience (which isn't really that much) and buckle down this weekend and make myself learn it. Thanks again :)
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #51
Major Player

Greets.

I was just checking this thread out and tried the shift/scrollwheel method of moving left/right on the timeline and discovered something cool I thought worthy of adding:

If you've got one of those trackball mice you can click the scrollwheel and you'll see a little left and right arrow appear on the screen.....then you can move left or right by moving the ball. Try it.....it's going to be a very useful function for my style.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #52

You can also zoom in/out via the scroll wheel, plus hold both right/left buttons and scroll...lots to discover in that little mouse.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #53
Major Player

I just tried the hold both buttons thing and it didnt work for me. Do you mean the same thing as both left and right clicking simultaneously while moving the scrollwheel?

BTW, I should add that with the maneuver I mentioned above the left or right scrolling slows down or speeds up depending on how far into that direction you move the trackball....it's sort of like j/k/l scrubbing without the preview vid/audio. With the shift/scrollwheel method it seems to be just one speed which is pretty slow. This method feels like your floating on a magic carpet.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Runyon
If you've got one of those trackball mice you can click the scrollwheel and you'll see a little left and right arrow appear on the screen.....then you can move left or right by moving the ball. Try it.....it's going to be a very useful function for my style.
This works with a regular mouse with scroll wheel too, you just move the mouse to the left or the right after clicking on the wheel.
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 04:28 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
To start off with, I am so used to Premiere, and working with its time line, that I am having some trouble adapting to and working with the programs in Movie Studio, but my impression is that once I learn the changes in the workflow, I will likely be a confirmed Vegas user--
Chris Barcellos
After all I've heard about Vegas, I was keen to get it. But decided to have a play around with the trial version first. Luckily I did, because I just cannot get a feel for it at all!!! It feels so foreign compared to FCP or Premiere. I feel like Im back in Pre-School or something. Even the Help menu was all over the place to me, and didnt have remotely sufficient information to help me figure out Vegas at all. Everyone seems to think Vegas is so wonderful and relatively easy to learn compared to Premiere and other NLE's. But I have found the opposite in fact. However, given all the positive opinions of it, I am keen to learn it, but it feels all wrong.

Is there some really huge detailed Vegas Manual anywhere?? Because Im lost on the whole thing. And I want to give it a proper go.

Tracey
Tracey Winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:32 AM   #56
Major Player

It is a different way of working - not like the source / composer window setup.
You should be able to download the manual from the sony web page.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:38 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Here's the 408 pages manual:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?DID=571
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Winning
Is there some really huge detailed Vegas Manual anywhere?? Because Im lost on the whole thing. And I want to give it a proper go.
I suggest downloading all of Edward Troxel's excellent newsletters at http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/vie...b50add7a79c3a4 as they're a great learning tool/resource.
There are also a number of tutorials on the VASST site at http://vasst.com/
You will need to register but it's free & painless :-)
Finally, http://www.blue7media.com/vegas/ is another resource site with lots of Vegas links.

Mike
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:05 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Am downloading that manual as I write this. Also....the other links are great!
This should definately get me going in the right direction with Vegas. Thanks.

Tracey
Tracey Winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:19 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Still have this feeling

I still have this feeling about Vegas, that I am missing something.. And perhaps that is because I have the limited version that is in Movie Studio +DVD Platinum. In meantime, I have ordered the 2.0 upgrade to Premiere, and will be deciding my direction after I test that one out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...