How do I setup an external preview monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Trustee

How do I setup an external preview monitor?

I would like to preview my edited footages on a TV screen.. can I preview on my camcorder via IEEE1394, and tap the output from the camcorder to a TV for realtime preview? Am I making my camcorder a "deck" in this manner?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

That is the setup that many people use.

Gary
Gary Kleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Instructions at
http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...c-7d5f37e4297e

For this purpose, a deck or a camcorder would do fine. A deck is like a DV VCR... it can't record footage and is designed to be a good VCR (i.e. more reliable, faster shuttle speed). Many DV cameras can act as VCRs, so usually it's not worth buying a deck.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Trustee

I got it working. Thank U so much guys!!
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Oops.. I would like to know if this method works for HDV? I'm planning to get an FX1. I'm not sure if this would work with HDV. Btw, what TV size is recommended for preview? Is 14" sufficient?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Firewire preview is for SD. Try using the secondary monitor option for HD.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Edward, Do I need additional hardware for this purpose? Where do I connect the ext TV to for HDV case?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Do you have a video card that supports two monitors? And do you have two monitors attached? If yes, you can use the secondary monitor for preview.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #9
Trustee

Unfotunately not.. man,what a pity.I'll live with DV for now.Thanks!
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just to clarify:

You CAN use external monitoring with HDV the same way as with SD. It just won't be the full resolution (but still looks very good).

Gary
Gary Kleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kleiner
Just to clarify:

You CAN use external monitoring with HDV the same way as with SD. It just won't be the full resolution (but still looks very good).

Gary
To clarify:
You CAN'T monitor HDV on a CRT external monitor the same way as SD, because the color spaces are not the same. Therefore you can't accurately color correct.
You CAN'T preview HDV on an SD monitor using a Firewire convert via a camera or converter device, because the m2t stream can't be passed and decoded. The stream will have to be reduced to DV in order to view, and that alone brings up issues of conversion and colorspace shift, not to mention a huge hit in processor speed and enough shift in quality that you really don't know what you're looking at other than seeing pictures on a screen that you can cut with.

You CAN view HD/HDV on an SD monitor. But understand that color issues are going to exist, and additionally, HD by definition is widescreen, and many SD monitors can't display widescreen.

Sean, to preview HD/HDV, you need one of two things;
1. Use the secondary Monitor that Edward mentioned (which is by far the easiest and least expensive)
2. A Black Magic Design card with component out, and an HD monitor ala LCD panel with component input.

I don't believe Gary does much in the way of HD.
While HD/HDV is pretty easy to work with once you grasp some of the basics, there are some differences between HD and SD that you must be aware of. Monitoring is usually the biggest trip-up that folks come across. If you're doing HD monitoring, the smallest you'll want is a 19", but the best budget way to do this is get a second monitor and monitor card, or use a dual-head card as Edward mentioned earlier. Be sure the monitor is at least 1280 x 720, and preferably 1900 x 1200 because you're shooting an FX1 which is 1080. Vegas will correctly deal with colorspace and interlacing issues with this setup.
You'll love the FX 1. I prefer the Z1 because of the blackstretch and a few other tricks it's got, but the FX is a good cam too.

If you know Derek Yeoh/Treasure Productions.com, he can show you quite a bit about the HDV workflow.A-One (Singapore) also has some HDV training, and I'll be in Singapore/KL/Hong Kong again this summer doing the VASST HDV training/certification course.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Trustee

Wow thanks Spot!!Yes I know Derek but he has not revealed a lot about HDV. I still pretty messed up with the HDV workflow. From what I understand,treasure productions seems to be rendering m2t to avi (downconvert) before importing it to Vegas for editing. Am I right here? I would love to try gearshift/connect HD instead.

I now understand what u mentioned previously (when u were in Singapore) about colour space issues. Am I rite to say for the secondary 19" LCD monitor setup (with a dual head graphics card), I only need to select "windows 2nd display" option in Vegas to get accurate HDV colour space?

Another question here. If I'm gonna use the dual LCD setup, it would mean the SD preview via the 2nd monitor wouldnt be as accurate compared to a TV, right? I could still have another TV for preview when dealing with SD. I should think I would need to edit SD sometimes even if I'm on HDV.

I'll do some more research in that area.Thanks again for the valuable inputs guys!
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah
Am I rite to say for the secondary 19" LCD monitor setup (with a dual head graphics card), I only need to select "windows 2nd display" option in Vegas to get accurate HDV colour space?

Another question here. If I'm gonna use the dual LCD setup, it would mean the SD preview via the 2nd monitor wouldnt be as accurate compared to a TV, right? I could still have another TV for preview when dealing with SD. I should think I would need to edit SD sometimes even if I'm on HDV.
!
Sean, what you've surmised is correct. If you have a second computer monitor, and it's properly calibrated (very easy to do with most of them, if you haven't bought it yet, check into that) then you can use Secondary Monitor, set up in Vegas 6 prefs.
Additionally, SD will not be as accurate on the secondary monitor due to the issues mentioned above. Having a good PAL monitor will help you, but calibration is key...
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #14
Trustee

Great... thanks again!
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Spot, may I seek clarification on a point please?

Do I understand correctly that when using a secondary Windows display (in my case a 19" TFT screen) as a preview monitor and displaying SD (not HD), that the colours will NOT be accurate in terms of how they will appear when finally displayed on a TV?

Are the colours accurate in terms of how they will appear if rendered as, say a quicktime file, and then viewed on a TFT or LCD screen?

Cheers!

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...