is there a way to stop vegas from rendering multiple files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Trustee

is there a way to stop vegas from rendering multiple files?

i get two different results when i did a capture of HDV from the Canon XL H1 of a single tape. in one instance, i got ONE 13GB file, which i like. the other result is that i get several files. i've unchecked the scene detection in the SD capture utility and looked under preferences. i can't find any setting that says that it should be capturing in several files.

when i render from m2t->CF, it also breaks down into several files, i only want ONE single 100GB or more CF avi. how do i tell vegas to do this or is this impossible?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM   #2
New Boot

That's funny. I have the exact opposite problem. I can't get it to scene detect my HDV footage into seperate files.
Jim March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Jim, Vegas' capture does not have scene detect for HDV at this time.

Yi Fong Yu, how many drives do you have and are they all formatted as NTFS?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Trustee

there isn't any settings anywhere, is there? anyone?

Ed,

i have 2 drives, one for OS, one for data. all NTFS, correct. i dunno why it's doing it. i selected non-drop SMTPE, that correct? should it be dropped timecode? it shouldn't affect the files.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5

How big are the files? All the same size? Varying in size?

In the SD capture program, there is also a maximum file size setting. Go to Options - Preferences to the Disk Management tab and verify the "Maximum size per DV clip" is NOT checked.

When rendering, there is a checkbox under Custom on the Video tab that says "Create an OpenDML (AVI version 2.0) compatible file". According to the help file, if this option is not checked the file size will be limited to 4Gig on NTFS and 2Gig on FAT32.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Trustee

i captured 7 tapes. two of the 7 tapes were captured whole, so i have 2 of 13gigabyte files. the rest were scattered. they range from 128megabyte to 5gigabyte to 8gigabyte.

when i get home i'll check that option. does the SD capture utility affect HDV capture? i thought both were separate?

plus, why would that affect "render as" files? i've rendered m2t->cineform avi and that was scattered too. wouldn't the cineform avi file be ONE?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
i captured 7 tapes. two of the 7 tapes were captured whole, so i have 2 of 13gigabyte files. the rest were scattered. they range from 128megabyte to 5gigabyte to 8gigabyte.
Could they have been caused by actual gaps on the tape (i.e. timecode jumps back to zero?)

Quote:
when i get home i'll check that option. does the SD capture utility affect HDV capture? i thought both were separate?
The two are totally separate. You mentioned SD capture - i've unchecked the scene detection in the SD capture utility and looked under preferences. so I thought you may have been trying to also capture SD.

Quote:
plus, why would that affect "render as" files? i've rendered m2t->cineform avi and that was scattered too. wouldn't the cineform avi file be ONE?
Were these also various sizes? Or all the same size pieces? There's still too many variables left unsaid to fully answer your question. For example, HOW are you rendering? Manually? via a script? With/without loop regions? Is that option I mentioned in "Custom" checked?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Trustee

hi ed,

1. no gaps. and timecode is consistent. no problems in the original tape. but if there were, the .m2t files would be broken up automatically? i think vegas needs to work on HDV capture, make it as good as SD.

2. i was just wondering if SD cap affects HD. if it doesn't, then it doesn't. i only captured HDV.

3. the render size is now only 1 size. problem solved =).

thx Ed!
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

For capture, I usually use the freeware capDVHS. I always get one big 12 to 13 GB .m2t - File. During rendering in Vegas to some intermediate format I get files of every size.

Greetings Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...