Forum confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 11th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Forum confusion

While I fully appreciate the need for a Vegas HDV forum, it seems that many of the threads posted here are general enquiries (which titler should I buy, recommendations for voiceover kit, etc etc).

We are now having to search two forums (fora?) for possible answers instead of just one.

Would it be sensible to move general Vegas questions OUT of this forum and into the original one, while leaving this for purely HDV related questions?

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

How does everyone feel about this?

Should we keep a separate board for HDV, or meld everything together in one big 'ol Vegas board?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
How does everyone feel about this?

Should we keep a separate board for HDV, or meld everything together in one big 'ol Vegas board?

I kinda of agree, I had not even thought to search the other vegas forum for stuff that might fit with my issues.
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think the Vegas HDV forum is cool, just as long as the threads are about HDV. All other Vegas threads should be in the main Vegas forum.

Regards,

Ray
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Just wanted to make clear which side of the fence I'm on in case anyone thinks I'm being a spoilsport!

I'm all for a separate HDV forum, so long as threads relate to HDV specific matters (only of interest to HDV-equipped users) and not general Vegas matters (of interest to all Vegas users).

Ian . . .
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

One Idea

is if this is possible. To have either a subforum within the Vegas forum specifically for the HDV, that way if someone needs to ask a question about HDV, they will have to go through an extra step. So this would hopefully keep those questions for DV or plain jane Vegas questions, out of the HDV forum. Geez, I hope I made sense.
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Chris, dvinfo is clearly the best forum for the subject matter covered. However, I hate having two Vegas forums. Vegas editing is Vegas editing, period. There are new issues in dealing with HD, but it just seems silly having two forums. It's almost as bad as if a site dealing with DVD recording had one forum for DVD-R and another for DVD+R, not quite, but close.
Matt Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I agree with Matt - one forum for Vegas. The HDV questions can be addressed with that as needed - but right now I am searching both to get the answers to questions. For those that don't care about HDV now then they can just skip past the HDV posts. phil

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Phil Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I prefer one forum, even though I don't edit HDV.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Short memories maybe...

Perhaps there's a few who don't remember the confusion that was a part of the Vegas forum when it was all just under the one sub-forum thread.

Those folks who were asking very specific HD/HDV questions copped some rather unwarranted flak from the SD fraternity.

As much as no-one likes to read a manual, or check which thread they are actually posting in when they are faced with a problem that must be answered as quickly as possible, even greater confusion abounds when a HD/HDV Vegas user posts a query without mentioning that HD/HDV Vegas methodologies are what they are needing answers etc on... and it's the same for SD folks who hurriedly type a query in the HD/HDV Vegas thread without checking first, or mentioning they are using SD material.

Making one giant Vegas thread won't improve peoples comprehension, nor will it make navigation easier for any of us - except those in the know, who probably would post in the right place regardless.

So... My vote/call/recommendation whatever you want to describe my opinion as would be that the status quo should be retained for a little while longer.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have to confess I don't remember the confusion you mentioned Steve but you seem to be a more frequent poster here so I won't argue!

I personally don't care whether there are one or two forums for Vegas, as long as the right question gets posted in the right place.

Perhaps some stricter moderating is required for the HDV forum so that anything non-HD gets moved into the SD forum.
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Right now we have one category for SD editing boards, and another category for HD editing boards. If I combine the two Vegas boards... which category would I put them in? I'm thinking that closer moderation might be the best way to go, but I'm still open to all suggestions.

Old January 15th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #13

As the moderator here, I'm happy to move non-HDV questions over to the other forum. I'm fine answering both, which is why I've not had issue with them spilling over here. I don't visit the other forum often, mostly because Edward is quite capable of answering SD questions. However, I'll start making more effort to place non-HD questions over to the non-HD forum for Vegas, and ask only that the same be done for this one.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Well Spot the last thing I want to do is create more work for you. I've seen your day planner! There's no way I could keep up with it either.

Old January 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #15
Major Player

Just giving another For What It's Worth vote:

I've been bothered by this for a while too. Though I don't shoot HDV I check here from time to time to make sure I'm not missing some worth while info.

I think it's now become even more important to merge them back into one now that we know DSE doesn't come to the old one as much. I vote you force him back in there by merging them back and removing his choice! Sure, Edward is very helpful, but perhaps he will give his answer and then DSE will come in and add one little extra detail that makes things even more clear! It just doesn't seem right to have a Vegas forum without his omnipresence.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...