DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How do I switch from PP to Veg, mid-project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/58165-how-do-i-switch-pp-veg-mid-project.html)

Paul Cascio January 12th, 2006 08:41 PM

How do I switch from PP to Veg, mid-project

I have a project that was started in Premiere, but I drank the orange Kool-Aid and now want to transfer everything to Vegas.

All of the rough cuts are on the time line in PP, but no transtions have be added yet so I figure it shouldn't be too tough. What would the best workflow be to make the switch?

Thanks

Mike Kujbida January 12th, 2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio
What would the best workflow be to make the switch?

One way to do it would be a "print to tape" of your PP timeline, import this into Vegas and continue on. The drawback here is that you wouldn't be able to make any changes to the PP footage so make sure that your rough cut has some heads & tails (extra footage) on each clip, just in case.

Mike

Paul Cascio January 12th, 2006 09:18 PM

I was hoping for an import option

I was hoping for an import option

Mike Kujbida January 12th, 2006 09:55 PM

Sorry Paul but AFAIK Vegas, like a lot of low end NLEs) is kind of weak as far as importing and exporting EDLs is concerned.
I have no idea if PP has and EDL export (I think straight text is preferred) but, what the heck, it's worth a try.

Rob Lohman January 13th, 2006 01:30 AM

Normally the advice is don't. Do not convert / upgrade or change anything
during a project. To make sure you can finish it on time. This is of course
most important if there is money and deadlines involved. If it is just your
personal project then it may be an option. However, it'll still cost you lots
of time probably. If there aren't that many cuts perhaps you can simply
redo them?

Good luck!

Glenn Chan January 13th, 2006 01:46 AM

with the latest versions of both programs, try AAF export/import? Or XML? Or EDL?

Edward Troxel January 13th, 2006 09:00 AM

Just try all of the methods above noting the limitations. AAF is supposed to be the best method to try. However, I'd try the others as well if AAF doesn't work. Worst case is the print to tape/recapture method.

Matt Brabender January 13th, 2006 11:07 PM

I agree with the above.
When moving projects into and out of Vegas, I found AAF to be the most reliable.

Larry Sullivan January 13th, 2006 11:11 PM

Why would you print to tape, just render(export) and import

Edward Troxel January 14th, 2006 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Sullivan
Why would you print to tape, just render(export) and import

You would import the EDITED video into Vegas for additional editing. However, all "current" edits would no longer be easily changed (which I am assuming is NOT what you want). Definitely the LAST option to use.

Elton Wishart January 14th, 2006 07:56 AM

Can Premiere render an individual clip as an .avi? If so, you could render each clip as an .avi and then import them into Vegas in the same order, although this would probably be extremely time consuming, especially if it's a longer project.

Paul Cascio January 14th, 2006 12:45 PM

Good ideas, thanks

I'm going to try AAf. Elstons idea is also good. I want to preserve the individuality of the clips since I don't have transitions in yet.