DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas on 64-bit XP? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/58960-vegas-64-bit-xp.html)

Stephen van Vuuren January 23rd, 2006 05:42 PM

Vegas on 64-bit XP?

I'm wanting to take the 64-bit plunge. All my system checks out driver wise and all the software I run (Adobe apps) but when I checked with Sony support, they responded that none of them are supported. I run Vegas 6 bundle, SF 8 and Acid 5.

Anyone running it okay?

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 23rd, 2006 06:09 PM

On the one 64 bit system we have, all Sony apps are running fine, but the hardware drivers for most of our audio and video gear aren't there just yet. Hoping for them soon, at NAMM this week everyone was promising that "just a coupla months."

In other words, be sure all your hardware has drivers for 64bit. Scanners to joysticks, this can be an issue. But the Sony stuff seems to be running fine.

Stephen van Vuuren January 23rd, 2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
On the one 64 bit system we have, all Sony apps are running fine, but the hardware drivers for most of our audio and video gear aren't there just yet. Hoping for them soon, at NAMM this week everyone was promising that "just a coupla months."

In other words, be sure all your hardware has drivers for 64bit. Scanners to joysticks, this can be an issue. But the Sony stuff seems to be running fine.

That's good. Driver's is the easy part (which surprised me). I have not tested them, but all of them are public, non-beta drivers well past revision 1 that have been out for 6 months.

I few minor utility apps that it's not 100% clear, but the Sony stuff was the only question mark.

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2006 10:01 AM

One word of warning. There are two 64-bit systems. IA64 (Intel Itanium) and
AMD64 or X64. The latter supports "old" 32-bit code, the former doesn't (unless
it is emulated in software). Don't get the IA64 version (mostly targetted to
servers anyway)

Stephen van Vuuren January 24th, 2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
One word of warning. There are two 64-bit systems. IA64 (Intel Itanium) and
AMD64 or X64. The latter supports "old" 32-bit code, the former doesn't (unless
it is emulated in software). Don't get the IA64 version (mostly targetted to
servers anyway)

I don't think Itanium systems have sold workstation models in year. Intel on only recently turned off the 32-bit hardware in the chip.

However, most new Intel desktop chips have EMT64 extensions that you need to run 64-bit OSes on Intel. There are a few notable systems (such as the new Yonah based dual core notebook chips) that are still waiting for 64-bit support.

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2006 10:15 AM

EMT64, that was the other name I was searching for. Looks like you know
enough what you are talking about Stephen. Just wanted to make sure!

Dionyssios Chalkias January 25th, 2006 08:57 AM

Stephen,

I suggest you have a dual boot system for a while, just to get sure everything works ok... Microsoft themselves strongly recommend it.

Good luck

Stephen van Vuuren January 25th, 2006 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionyssios Chalkias
Stephen,

I suggest you have a dual boot system for a while, just to get sure everything works ok... Microsoft themselves strongly recommend it.

Good luck

I will if I have to. I have a couple of other systems here. The hassle with the dual boot is the product activations though Sony is generally cool with it, Adobe apps are sometimes an issue.

Bryon Akerman January 25th, 2006 09:26 AM

tread lightly....

I had a very nice AMD64 bit computer with close to a gig of DDR, liquid cooled, and while my adobe software ran "okay," My Sony products had a horrible time. Now, for miniscule tasks, it was fine. However, any large rendering or import, or even a large timeline. Vegas would trip over itself and freeze up, causing me to have to shutdown and reboot. So, I switched to a Mac G4 powerbook & FCP and have not had a problem since.

It was about 8 months ago when I was using the 64 bit processor, so a lot could have changed since then, but that was my experience.

Bryon <><

Stephen van Vuuren January 25th, 2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryon Akerman
I had a very nice AMD64 bit computer with close to a gig of DDR, liquid cooled, and while my adobe software ran "okay," My Sony products had a horrible time. Now, for miniscule tasks, it was fine. However, any large rendering or import, or even a large timeline. Vegas would trip over itself and freeze up, causing me to have to shutdown and reboot. So, I switched to a Mac G4 powerbook & FCP and have not had a problem since.

It was about 8 months ago when I was using the 64 bit processor, so a lot could have changed since then, but that was my experience.

Bryon <><

Were you running XP 32 or 64-bit?

Rob Lohman January 27th, 2006 01:03 PM

Bryon, if you are talking liquid cooling it sounds like you overclocked the
system. If so that's a no-no in the video world (for the reasons you mentioned)