is it possible to convert a 1920x1088 .ts (hd mpeg2 transport) file into .wmv? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 24th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Trustee

is it possible to convert a 1920x1088 .ts (hd mpeg2 transport) file into .wmv?

i just tried it using Vegas and it froze after an entire day.

what other tools should i use to convert a .ts file into somn else?
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
i just tried it using Vegas and it froze after an entire day.

what other tools should i use to convert a .ts file into somn else?
First, if it is an m2t stream, it's not 1920 x 1088, it's 1440 x 1080.
Second, what were you trying to convert it to in terms of size?
Third, what are your computer specs?
Last, what had you done to the media? (filters, overlays, etc)

I'm assuming you're using a template in Vegas?
If it froze after an entire day, i'm going to hazard a guess that heat knocked it out.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Trustee

it's not an authored project.

it's a mpeg2 stream of the movie Swordfish that has been recorded off of a regular cable channel. and it is a 1920x1088 file. it's about 8.56 gigabytes and is 2large to burn onto DVD DL (which burns only 8.1gigabyte despite the 8.5 label).

i can't even open it with vegas, the application freezes, but the computer remains fine. any files out there that can recompress this? i'm thinking virtualdub yeah?
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #4

I'd be trying VDub, or better still, Nero's Recode. Currently, it's unmatched for quality.
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Trustee

ah... i knew i had somn in my toolbox to use. i'll try recode when i get home.

i wonder why i can't open it with vegas and do it? i tried vegas on ripped .vob's of the DVDs that i have and it doesn't work either. is it cause DVD file structure is diff than hard disk?
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
ah... i knew i had somn in my toolbox to use. i'll try recode when i get home.

i wonder why i can't open it with vegas and do it? i tried vegas on ripped .vob's of the DVDs that i have and it doesn't work either. is it cause DVD file structure is diff than hard disk?
Vegas' vob reading capability is designed for disks from DVD camcorders, not ripped movies from DVD. I don't know exactly what is different, I've never been incentivized to find out, as I've never ripped a DVD. Maybe someone else has a more useful answer.
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Major Player

I've been playing with sorenson squeeze trial and its pretty good.

Essentially the same process for hdv as capped mpeg TS. I open it in hdtvtompeg, and convert the TS stream to an mpeg - this has to be done because sorenson won't open the TS stream for some reason. Set your output and encode.

Sorenson squeeze is pricy and the trial leaves a rather large semi transparent watermark but is a good encoder for windows.

The other option I know of is to use the VFW windows media video 9 codec. It is WMV9 but allows you to put it in something like an avi container. What you need to do is use hdtvtompeg to convert you TS stream to mpg, then open it in virtualdub mpeg2 verison. Set your compression to the WMV9 codec and export.

The VFW codec is available from microsoft, it's listed for legacy playback or something. Don't have a link since I don't use it.

To actually get a WMV9 in a WMV container you're only other option is windows media encoder. Last time I tried it was a horrible and buggy program that liked to lock up a lot and made things hard to do especially for HD. I think you will need to use hdtvtompeg again and have an mpeg2 software decoder installed to open the hd stream in wmv encoder.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8
Trustee

i already tried th wmv9 encoder. terrible =(.

i'm gonna try HDTV2MPEG, i think that'll do it. thx for the suggestions! =).
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #9
Major Player

First of all your 1088 number is off. I get that dimension if I save a screen shot with something like Nero Showtime frame capture and insert it into Photoshop, but it's not the real size. Your video is almost certainly 1440 x 1080 with a 1.33 aspect ratio. Using an odd size like 1920 x 1088 is going to confuse your renderer and make it take forever if it doesn't crash. Try rendering to a standard HD size and your situation should improve greatly.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #10
Trustee

uh... first of all, i didn't make Swordfish starring John Travolta, Halle Barry and Jack Hughman!

secondly, regarldess of resolution, i just tried nero recode, doesn't work. recode is made by the same guy behind DVD SHrink, thus, it's primarily geared towards (ultimately) DVD-Video.

thirdly, HDTV2MPEG didn't work either because it, too, is geared towards DVD's MPEG2 specs.

i'm looking for a way to make this a bit smaller so i can burn an HD version of this. i got a front projector and have the regular DVD version but i really wanna have more HD version so i can showoff my front projector =).i can't keep showing T2, it gets stale. anyway, it's one of the very few 1080p version of a DVD i already have.

the point is, this file is a 1920x1080p .ts file with .ac3. but it's 8.5+ gigabyte and i can't burn it on DL media. there's no option in nero to "overburn" a DL media either. so... i guess i just have to wait for the HD-DVD/BluRay version of it or buy a hard drive just for HD movies =).
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #11

I've got a couple DVDs that I've made of HD media in h.264 using Recode, they show wonderfully on my projector. Same with many, many 720p disks on standard DVD.
Recode works wonderfully whether frameserved from Vegas, or from an avi dropped straight into it. I'd respectfully suggest that you've done something odd with the video when you ripped it, or the codec that you used is screwballed.
The video should be 1440 x 1080 at a pixel aspect of 1.333, as others have mentioned.
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
the point is, this file is a 1920x1080p .ts file with .ac3. but it's 8.5+ gigabyte and i can't burn it on DL media. there's no option in nero to "overburn" a DL media either. so... i guess i just have to wait for the HD-DVD/BluRay version of it or buy a hard drive just for HD movies =).
Recorded from cable 1080p ?! You mean 1080i , right?
If original *.TS file only 8.5Gb possible you have not 1920x1080p(i), but only 1280x1080i (light HDTV ;)
Try delete padding from *.ts by converting to PS(program stream) *.mpg,
or just demux TS to ES (elementar streams m2v+ac3)
Use ReJig to shrink m2v and make HDDVD with DVDlab:)
But i've agree with Douglas Spotted Eagle, best way is convert to mpeg4 avc with Nero Recode.
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #13
Inner Circle

There must be commerical breaks in the movie, use Vdub to delete them then burn onto a DL DVD+R, the size will be smaller. If there are no commercials, best off compressing to WMV, the XBOX360 supports wmv files on disc in HD.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #14
Major Player

Let me echo what DSE said: Nero's recode is simply wonderful. I've pretty much dropped everything else like Quicktime, WMV and DiVX because Recode is so much better.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #15
Trustee

jack, no commercials. not from cable. i'm *trying* to recompress, i haven't found any tools capable... yet.

laurence, recode doesn't work on it.

when i get home i'll have to gspot it to see what kinda codec it is exactly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...