Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 12th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #1486
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

just drop the file with TS ext in Vegas 4.0d TL and it will play it ( don't need to have DVDA installed) .... also you can rename the TS ext to .mpeg ( not mpg) then WMP9 will play it ( vegas will still play it too) ...
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #1487
Regular Crew

Here is what I do.

1) Open Vegas.

2) Set project properties to 1280X720 HD @ 30 fps in the file menu.

3) Click on the Media Pool tab in Vegas

4) Open the folder containing the m2t files in explorer.

5) Drag and drop the files from explorer to Media Pool window in Vegas.

Doing it this way, there is no need to rename any files and they show in Vegas as thumbnails.

Mike
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #1488
Regular Crew

Can any of you guys can comment on the quality of editing NATIVE mpeg2 video--

The Aspect HD guys say there is a huge advantage in editing in NOT editing in NATIVE mpeg-2 (ts)

Also there were some early comments concerning the JVC capture tool that may add add'l compression

What machines are you guys using?

Thanks

Steven Galvano
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #1489
Regular Crew

I forgot--

Do I need +dvd?
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #1490
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Steven,

These is no major quality conerns with the KDDI capture tool* (it doesn't recompress) nor with Vegas itself; the biggest advantage Aspect HD has by not editing native MPEG2 is speed. Decoding HD video using Aspect HD is four times faster than a decoder under Vegas using MPEG2. This means you get true real-time 30 frame per second though your effects, transitions, title overlays with motion and opacity. It is a greatly enhanced editing experience.

* Aspect HD does not use the KDDI capture tool, but instead it ships with CFCapture which has better scene detection, and converts incoming *.m2t data to AVI Files for much greater file compatibility and inter-operability -- and speed.
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #1491
Regular Crew

Filter to minimize lense scratches?

I was just given some raw video on DV for a project for a customer. The video was taken with a camcorder and one of those bullet / lipstick cameras. I reviewed the footage, and there is an odd yellow scrach across the field of view on all the footage - like there was a scratch on the camera lense.

The customer is adimate that I use this footage for his project, so I'm trying to find a way to minimize the appearance of the scratches. I know I can't get rid of them, but I'd like to minimize them.

Here are two example frame grabs:

http://www.kkingdigital.com/scratches1.jpg

http://www.kkingdigital.com/scratches2.jpg

It may be possible to filter or mask them as they have constand characteristics - they are about the same shade of yellow in all the footage, and they are stationary in the frame.

I was hoping to create a mask of some sort to "punch out" the scraches, then use some sort of blur to fill in the background, maybe on another layer of video below the first?

I'm using the full version of Vegas 4.0, but I'm not familiar with the filters and masking features - still learning the software.

Thanks much for any advice. Best regards.
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #1492
Regular Crew

"These is no major quality conerns with the shipped capture tool* (it doesn't recompress)"

I'm wondering what format the JVC mpeg edit software stores the edited... edits? Mpeg2-ts? avi?

For that matter, what format does Aspect store the edits... uncompressed avi? huffyuv? it's own wavelet?

And if Aspect works so well because it's so fast, will BitJazz's Sheervideo do the same for us (for quite a bit less) when it becomes available for PCs?

And what is with Mainconcept's solution?

thanks
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #1493
Regular Crew

sorry... meant to also ask

and what format does Vegas store edits?
Will vegas plus Sheervideo be as fast as Aspect?
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:09 PM   #1494
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sheervideo is just a Codec, so not it will never be as fast as Aspect HD. Aspect HD for Premiere is much more than a fast codec, it is a real-time effects engine, and suite of capture and export tools that make the input, editing and output of HD simple. The codec plus the effects engine is what makes Aspect HD outperform others.
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #1495
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply, David

so then, how much hard drive space does one need to use Aspect? (ie GB per minute/art)
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:36 AM   #1496
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i tried a little in V and couldn't come up with a good MASK ( maybe because the jpgs are missing 1/2 the scan lines ? ) but even if i could get a good mask on the scratches lines then what ? i did get a good mask on the scrathes in the road ( could not get sky included on either jpg1/2 using 2ndary CC - use eye dropper to sample yellow scratch in road - then check SHOW MASK now move the sliders to get better mask on lines) ..
i tried filling in the mask with the color of the road BUT it just looks like a solid color = no road texture ...

taking it into commotion using wire removal i could do it a little but the scatches are just too wide /too close to each other (because the scratches are so wide wire removal just clones scratches next to the scratch i'm trying to remove) .. which then leaves SUPER cloning which works good on all sections except when scratchs are on motocycle jpg 1...

perhaps a combination of cloning and painting ?? but that is frame by frame work but you should develop a technique within approx 30 frames ( scratches are always in same spot - they don't move. motocycles/persons will be BIG problem ) ... you might try exporting as png/tga sequence to photoshop and try cloning from other parts of the road/sky

how much of this do they want you to use ?

good luck !!
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #1497
MPS Digital Studios

David,

I posted up a "Notice" for PC HDV solutions. Take a look, feel free to post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=17012

It's not really a post for sales pitches, just something for people to check links, ask questions, etc.

heath
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #1498
Major Player

Mark, that was an incredible trailer.

I'm also interested to know how you captured the PC screens.

Will
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #1499
CTO, CineForm Inc.

<<<-- Originally posted by Josef Crow : thanks for the reply, David

so then, how much hard drive space does one need to use Aspect? (ie GB per minute/art) -->>>

Aspect HD uses about 30GB per hour to store 1280x720p30 footage.
Old November 13th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #1500
Regular Crew

Aspect HD vs Quicktime

What about the quality of Aspect HD? I have been downloading footage from this camera from the web and checking it out to see if I want to buy. I used Vegas to convert the clips to quicktime for editing and after effects and stuff. How lossy is the Aspect HD codec? Realtime would be nice, but I don't want to loose quality to get it.

I have been thinking about converting to quicktime with lossless microcosm codec and then editing in FCP using the offline RT jpeg stuff from the quicktime files and then doing the final render using the quicktime/microcosm files. What do people think about that?

Dusty
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...