Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 104 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 16th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #1546
Trustee

If everything else checks, remove all but the necessary peripherals and try it . If it works then install them one at a time until the problem returns.

I had problems with available system resources because of a USB multifunction device. ( HP office jet)
Old November 17th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1547
Major Player

Thanks Edward, you nailed it as usual!!

thanks,
Mike m
Old November 17th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #1548
Inner Circle

The normalize function isn't a good tool for volume increases because if the audio has clipped digitally even once, it won't work at all. You're better off using a compressor function and raising the volume level, although that requires quite a bit of work to
set levels for all of the tracks you're working with.

I really wish these DVD editors had some functions to rate the
audio tracks in 2 levels: short time Peak counter/rater (1/20 second), long time peak counter/rater (1 second) and full track counter/rater.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #1549
Wrangler

24p Standard footage playing choppy in Preview Window

I captured some 24p (standard) footage and found it played back choppy in the preview window.... 9 fps to be exact (@ full size/best). I thought 24p standard was still 29.97 frames a second...what would cause it to play choppy? I opened up a new project using the 24p template and it seemed to play fine.
?! Any ideas?! ....keeping in mind this is 24p standard.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:39 AM   #1550
Regular Crew

two questions

1. In my film I wish to freeze my last clip. How do I do that?

2. I have a firewall and antivirusprogram. Is it a good thing to shut it down everytime I work in Vegas? (Sometimes I have forget to shut it down but no problem in Vegas.)
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:39 AM   #1551
Major Player

Because you have unlimited tracks in Vegas you can sort audio that requires the same kind of treatment on separate tracks, and even channel some of those track to different buses. Then you can apply FXs on both track and bus level. Have a look at the audio signal flow diagram in the manual.

What you also can do is to set up the default track FX and/or create FX packages with typical presets that you normally will use, and then just select/deselect them as required.

In detail:
Drop Graphic Dynamics on an audio track. Select and tweak some different presets and save them. Rightclick the track header, click on Set default track porperties, and then OK. Next time you create an audio track it will have Graphic Dynamics selected and you can just pick the appropriate preset.
OR:
Set up a collection of audio FXs and tweak them for one typical use you may need (music, voiceover, etc). Save as FX package. Next time you can just selct th package and it will replace the FX already on your track and install itself, tweaks and all. Repeat for other typical uses.
Of course you can still fine-tune the tweaks after that, but you will have a relevant starting-point.
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:46 AM   #1552
Regular Crew

Thanks to all for the inputs. Vegas looks like it will be my choice. It has more tools than I will ever be able to use, but it's a little daunting coming from a Pinnacle Studio 8 background.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #1553
Sponsor: JET DV

To slow down, freeze, or reverse, use a Velocity Envelope.

When capturing or printing to tape, it would probably be a good idea to shutdown the firewall and antivirus programs. For normal editing it probably won't matter (and *may* not matter on capturing or printing either - only tests will determine that).

Personally, my editing and internet computers are two separate machines. My editing computers never see the internet so they have no need for a firewall or antivirus program.
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #1554
Regular Crew

Check out EndItAll. This progam allows you to setup which processes should be shutdown or killed. I have it setup for editing, so when I start editing, I close/kill everything I won't need.
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #1555
New Boot

Very Cool

Mark,
Kudos, you did a smokin' job with what looks to be the same tools we all have. Once again great job. I would also like to get additional info on you PS training disks. Please email me off the boards with info:

me1313@mindspring.com

Thanks,
Wade
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #1556
Regular Crew

Vegas/DVD Architect--no commentary track/options

I will eventually be using Vegas 4.0 to edit 24p or 24pa footage and will need to output to dvd w/ 5.1 sound and include a commentary track. For that reason, I was leaning toward DVD Architect; however, it's my understanding that multiple audio tracks, for a director's commentary track, isn't possible in Architect. Ouch!
Now what authoring program should I purchase? Isn't there an available plug-in for Architect to enable a commentary track? I guess it's on to other 5.1, AC3 encoding software that has multiple languages capability.
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #1557

Correct. DVDA does not currently offer multiple audio tracks. If the video is short enough - it could be included twice. Otherwise you'll have to look at another product that does offer this feature.
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #1558
Wrangler

Hope I didn't stump EVERYONE. *yikes*
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #1559
Regular Crew

How?

<<<To slow down, freeze, or reverse, use a Velocity Envelope.>>>

I know how to slow down and reverse but how do I do to freeze a videoclip with Velocity Envelope?

I want to freeze a videoclip and then have a text rolling there.
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #1560

ZERO percent as the speed is Freeze Frame. Right-click the node, choose "Set to..." and type in 0.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...